RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Professional Beer Monger??


read 3303 times • 49 replies • posted 4/24/2013 8:14:36 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

premium
JulienHuxley 2512:181
Legion, I donít think it is necessarily bootlegging.



In Quebec, we have a state monopoly that controls all alcohol imports. Of course, they donít give a ratís ass about quality foreign craft beer so unless itís trappist from belgium, itís probably macro swill from a european country (we get things like tsing tao, asahi and other crap).



However, we have a club (ours is run by volunteers) that goes out to places like Stone brewing, Jolly Pumpkin, Thornbridge, Mikkeller, Cantillon etc. etc. and ask the brewers kindly: "Hey whatís up? Weíre a group of enthusiasts that really like your beer but canít have access to them. Would you mind filling out this paperwork so that we can import a small quantity of your product? And some (like the aforementionned) say yes, and so we get their beers delivered to us.



How much soft talking to a guy like Jean Van Roy do you think it takes to get a venu to be on the host list of an event like Zwanze Day? Most people who got this event know the man personally. Some venues may decide to hire a guy to aquire such good relationships. Itís that kind of interpersonal relationships that makes places like Monkís Cafe in Philly have a steady supply of Pliny the Elder kegs, even though they arenít even close to Russian River distro range.
4/24/2013 12:01:29 PM

Private message send the author a private message


premium
legion242 2099:113
Originally posted by JulienHuxley
Legion, I donít think it is necessarily bootlegging.



In Quebec, we have a state monopoly that controls all alcohol imports. Of course, they donít give a ratís ass about quality foreign craft beer so unless itís trappist from belgium, itís probably macro swill from a european country (we get things like tsing tao, asahi and other crap).



However, we have a club (ours is run by volunteers) that goes out to places like Stone brewing, Jolly Pumpkin, Thornbridge, Mikkeller, Cantillon etc. etc. and ask the brewers kindly: "Hey whatís up? Weíre a group of enthusiasts that really like your beer but canít have access to them. Would you mind filling out this paperwork so that we can import a small quantity of your product? And some (like the aforementionned) say yes, and so we get their beers delivered to us.



How much soft talking to a guy like Jean Van Roy do you think it takes to get a venu to be on the host list of an event like Zwanze Day? Most people who got this event know the man personally. Some venues may decide to hire a guy to aquire such good relationships. Itís that kind of interpersonal relationships that makes places like Monkís Cafe in Philly have a steady supply of Pliny the Elder kegs, even though they arenít even close to Russian River distro range.


This might be what I didnít originally understand.
Monkís had developed a relationship with one of their distros who has agreed to bring in RR kegs just for them.

What ParkerDaniels would be doing is first finding a distro willing to handle small deliveries from out of state and then going out and getting breweries to agree to sell small amounts to these distros.

Makes sense now.
4/24/2013 12:10:03 PM

Private message send the author a private message


ParkerDaniels
Originally posted by JulienHuxley
Legion, I donít think it is necessarily bootlegging.



In Quebec, we have a state monopoly that controls all alcohol imports. Of course, they donít give a ratís ass about quality foreign craft beer so unless itís trappist from belgium, itís probably macro swill from a european country (we get things like tsing tao, asahi and other crap).



However, we have a club (ours is run by volunteers) that goes out to places like Stone brewing, Jolly Pumpkin, Thornbridge, Mikkeller, Cantillon etc. etc. and ask the brewers kindly: "Hey whatís up? Weíre a group of enthusiasts that really like your beer but canít have access to them. Would you mind filling out this paperwork so that we can import a small quantity of your product? And some (like the aforementionned) say yes, and so we get their beers delivered to us.



How much soft talking to a guy like Jean Van Roy do you think it takes to get a venu to be on the host list of an event like Zwanze Day? Most people who got this event know the man personally. Some venues may decide to hire a guy to aquire such good relationships. Itís that kind of interpersonal relationships that makes places like Monkís Cafe in Philly have a steady supply of Pliny the Elder kegs, even though they arenít even close to Russian River distro range.


Thanks for the post man....certainly hope we can figure it out on our end and make this happen. I had no idea Monkís cafe worked out the deal with RR to get their beers. Good to know that these things can take place given the right circumstances.
4/24/2013 12:11:38 PM

Private message send the author a private message


ParkerDaniels
Legion...



knowing that, now whatís your opinion on the viability of this? Still questionable?



4/24/2013 12:14:00 PM

Private message send the author a private message


premium
legion242 2099:113
Originally posted by ParkerDaniels
Legion...



knowing that, now whatís your opinion on the viability of this? Still questionable?






Yes.
I think that there is a finite life span on what you can accomplish for your prospective new employers.
Iím a cynic by nature, but I see you doing a year or twoís legwork for them and then you will no longer be needed because you have built their network for them.
The trick for long term viability would be to keep as much information to yourself and just deliver the goods. Keep your cards close to your chest and make sure that they can not do these things with out your skill set.
4/24/2013 12:17:49 PM

Private message send the author a private message


ParkerDaniels
I figured a couple years would be the extent of it.



Iím an optimist, so I really appreciate the cynicís opinion; keeps me grounded.



Since I do some things part time for them and they still havenít taken the time to do it themsleves, it may be a time constraint on their end. They have the knowledge and relationships, just not the time...this could be the only ace in the deck.



Thanks for your time and postings...youíve certainly helped.
4/24/2013 12:22:30 PM

Private message send the author a private message


ParkerDaniels
Originally posted by JulienHuxley
Legion, I donít think it is necessarily bootlegging.



In Quebec, we have a state monopoly that controls all alcohol imports. Of course, they donít give a ratís ass about quality foreign craft beer so unless itís trappist from belgium, itís probably macro swill from a european country (we get things like tsing tao, asahi and other crap).



However, we have a club (ours is run by volunteers) that goes out to places like Stone brewing, Jolly Pumpkin, Thornbridge, Mikkeller, Cantillon etc. etc. and ask the brewers kindly: "Hey whatís up? Weíre a group of enthusiasts that really like your beer but canít have access to them. Would you mind filling out this paperwork so that we can import a small quantity of your product? And some (like the aforementionned) say yes, and so we get their beers delivered to us.



How much soft talking to a guy like Jean Van Roy do you think it takes to get a venu to be on the host list of an event like Zwanze Day? Most people who got this event know the man personally. Some venues may decide to hire a guy to aquire such good relationships. Itís that kind of interpersonal relationships that makes places like Monkís Cafe in Philly have a steady supply of Pliny the Elder kegs, even though they arenít even close to Russian River distro range.


What kind of forms do you all use? This must be a Canadian regulation??
4/24/2013 1:32:02 PM

Private message send the author a private message


premium
JulienHuxley 2512:181
Yeah. Basically the state monopoly has to do the importing. They donít want to bother basically, so we have to do everything they would have done for a regular import and hand it over to them so they can make the import turn key. This includes contacting the seller, buying the beer, organising transport, doing the tax and duty paperwork, etc. Then the monopoly approves it, the stuff comes in, we have a month to move it out of the warehouse and we move on to another order. (I say we but am not actually involved in very much of this process at all, this is my understanding as a club member.)
4/24/2013 4:07:52 PM

Private message send the author a private message


premium
drowland 5953:172
Originally posted by adamjackson
Iím confused. isnít this going around the 3 tier system? What state allows a bar to acquire bottles (Iím assuming youíre trading / buying bottles from out of state) and then sell them at a markup in the bar?

so letís say you get a case of some wine barrel aged saison from Oregon that retails there for $15 but you sell it for say $50 to cover costs, etc. is that allowed? or maybe Iím just confused what this job entails.


Washington DC
4/24/2013 8:07:20 PM

Private message send the author a private message


ParkerDaniels
Originally posted by JulienHuxley
Yeah. Basically the state monopoly has to do the importing. They donít want to bother basically, so we have to do everything they would have done for a regular import and hand it over to them so they can make the import turn key. This includes contacting the seller, buying the beer, organising transport, doing the tax and duty paperwork, etc. Then the monopoly approves it, the stuff comes in, we have a month to move it out of the warehouse and we move on to another order. (I say we but am not actually involved in very much of this process at all, this is my understanding as a club member.)


That sounds like a pain in the ass
4/24/2013 8:18:19 PM

Private message send the author a private message

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search
Add A Beer
Add A Brewer
Add A Place
Events
membership
Log In
Edit Personal Info
Buy Premium Membership
Your Messages
the best
RateBeer Best
100 Beer Club
The Top 50