RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Professional Beer Monger??

read 3306 times • 49 replies • posted 4/24/2013 8:14:36 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

ParkerDaniels
Originally posted by drowland
Originally posted by adamjackson
Iím confused. isnít this going around the 3 tier system? What state allows a bar to acquire bottles (Iím assuming youíre trading / buying bottles from out of state) and then sell them at a markup in the bar?

so letís say you get a case of some wine barrel aged saison from Oregon that retails there for $15 but you sell it for say $50 to cover costs, etc. is that allowed? or maybe Iím just confused what this job entails.

Washington DC

*packs up belongings. Moves to DC*
4/24/2013 8:19:15 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
BrewtopiaofPJ 37:4
You might want to think of what happens when larger multi state distributors start the lawsuits, if your name is on the sale and itís illegal or simply pisses off the big guy, you will have a large bullseye on your head.
5/12/2013 11:10:02 AM

ParkerDaniels
Originally posted by BrewtopiaofPJ
You might want to think of what happens when larger multi state distributors start the lawsuits, if your name is on the sale and itís illegal or simply pisses off the big guy, you will have a large bullseye on your head.

Worked out a distribution agreement and will be working with breweries in self distribution states. Yes, I did think about the big guys in the industry and how this could affect my reputation, etc. Fingers crossed that my ability to foster relationships works in my favor.

Thanks for you input.
5/15/2013 1:04:20 PM

slohops
It sounds like a dream job, though I fear legalities and logistics may get in the way. Itís a shame that beer distribution does not the same legal latitude as wine. An awesome business model would be a beer version of vinfolio.com. When will beer get the same shipping and distributions rights as wine?
5/15/2013 7:48:11 PM

premium
DocJitsu 721:73
Originally posted by ParkerDaniels
Hey guys...

I was recently asked to work full time for a couple craft beer spots as a beer monger and "getter of everything badass in craft beer". As a guy in love with the industry, the offer is definitely in my wheel house. My question to you all is: how long can an establishment keep me employed with such a positiion? Not only would they be paying me a salary, but also all expenses incurred for acquiring beer. It seems as though the position can only run as long as great new beers keep coming out. Iím asking as to the viability of such a position for myself and the stores.

Thanks for your help.

Are you a Cicerone? Iím curious about how you landed this job in the first place.

5/15/2013 8:41:08 PM

ParkerDaniels
Originally posted by slohops
It sounds like a dream job, though I fear legalities and logistics may get in the way. Itís a shame that beer distribution does not the same legal latitude as wine. An awesome business model would be a beer version of vinfolio.com. When will beer get the same shipping and distributions rights as wine?

Slohops...

I agree that this has potential to be a dream job if the distribution avenue can be worked out. For the most part, things seem to be moving in the right direction in regards to that. However, there are still plenty of kinks and speedbumps in the process.

Fingers crossed that beer goes the way of wine and we can finally get our hands on those hard to finds that just sit in their home states.
5/16/2013 8:57:51 AM

ParkerDaniels
Originally posted by DocJitsu
Hey guys...

I was recently asked to work full time for a couple craft beer spots as a beer monger and "getter of everything badass in craft beer". As a guy in love with the industry, the offer is definitely in my wheel house. My question to you all is: how long can an establishment keep me employed with such a positiion? Not only would they be paying me a salary, but also all expenses incurred for acquiring beer. It seems as though the position can only run as long as great new beers keep coming out. Iím asking as to the viability of such a position for myself and the stores.

Thanks for your help.

Are you a Cicerone? Iím curious about how you landed this job in the first place.

I am not a Certified Cicerone..Iím just really really lucky. I know that doesnít really answer how I landed this potential gig, but itís basically what happened. I have a relationship with these places and have a knack at cultivating relationships and helping people find things that they either donít want to put the effort in to do themselves, or donít know where to start. Iím lucky to know quite a few people in different industries so that I can help people get things done.

I donít know if that answer is sufficient for you....thatís all I got. Iím a decent guy that got lucky.
5/16/2013 9:02:11 AM

premium
BrewtopiaofPJ 37:4
Originally posted by DocJitsu
Hey guys...

Thanks for your help.

I am not a Certified Cicerone..Iím just really really lucky. I know that doesnít really answer how I landed this potential gig, but itís basically what happened. I have a relationship with these places and have a knack at cultivating relationships and helping people find things that they either donít want to put the effort in to do themselves, or donít know where to start. Iím lucky to know quite a few people in different industries so that I can help people get things done.

I donít know if that answer is sufficient for you....thatís all I got. Iím a decent guy that got lucky.

Basically, youíre a nice guy that likes beer
5/18/2013 9:36:55 AM

ParkerDaniels
^^^^ basically
5/18/2013 10:07:36 AM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.