RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Question about Bottle Conditioning a Beer

read 1276 times • 14 replies • posted 11/4/2012 11:24:28 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by Quasimodo
I said 4oz of priming sugar might not be enough because the bottling volume and storage temperature were unknown values. 4oz of corn sugar in a 5.5gal batch stored at 70F should yield 2.2 volumes of CO2 which is fine. It should produce a medium level of carbonation. You definitely donít need to add more yeast. However, you intend to add Lindemans which complicates the equation quite a bit. I think it is pastuerized and back sweetened, so it may contain additional fermentables which would produce more CO2 in your beer, unless they use an artificial sweetener or lactose. When you consider this plus an unknown quantity of CO2 from the kriek will remain in your beer, it makes it difficult to determine the anticipated level of carbonation of your beer. It will be higher than 2.2, but how much higher is a mystery until you do it. Instead of adding a kriek, you might want to consider using pure cherry juice, letting it ferment for another week or two and then bottle it.

Actually, by adding in the kriek, youíll drive off most of the excess CO2. The uptick in CO2 concentration is negligible. IIRC, Lindemans uses an artificial sweetener and is pasteurized, shouldnít be any concerns re: fermentables. As to the yeast issue, thatís a matter of opinion. Iíd personally recommend adding half a sachet of dried yeast, appropriately re-hydrated just for safety with a beer like this. Itíll never hurt.
11/8/2012 2:25:55 PM

Private message send the author a private message

Quasimodo 217:
I said he doesnít need to add yeast for a couple reasons: He doesnít want to and Iíve never added yeast to bottle a high gravity beer and have never had a carbonation problem as a result. I do this mostly because I prefer to minimize the amount of yeast in the bottle without filtering.
11/8/2012 4:37:44 PM

Quasimodo 217:
Iím not convinced Lindemans Kriek doesnít have any residual sugar after reading this:

http://www.lindemans.be/start/kriek/en

11/8/2012 5:17:59 PM

kiefdog 1826:120
Thanks for all the input folks! This gives me a lot to think about. . . . . .
11/10/2012 10:33:23 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add