RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Quick Question/Survey For Homebrewers

read 309 times • 5 replies • posted 2/11/2013 11:01:01 AM

Thread Frozen

ysl20030223
Hi, I’m a business student at the University of Washington in an entrepreneurship class. My project is to think of an idea and conduct all the proper research necessary in opening a new business. Naturally, being the beer lover that i am, my first idea was related to beer!

In a nutshell, my idea is to open up a brewery marketed towards homebrewers that are interested in opening up their own brewery or just interested in selling their beer to the public but lack the capital, time, resources, etc. Customers would have their own recipes brewed by our own brewmasters, providing them with the necessary insight to successfully brew their beer on a large scale while still retaining the quality of the beer. Once it is ready, we would bottle/keg it and be able to provide channels to sell it in. We would also have an onsight tap room for beer drinkers to come drink the beer at the brewery too. The benefit of this would be to provide our customer with an idea of how his beer would sell in the market as well as give him some experience/knowledge into brewing beer on a commercial level without having to get licensed. The recipes would only be brewered temporarily as well, being brewed under contracts. This way when the contract is up, the customer retains full rights to the recipe, leaving him/her to do as they wish with it(which could be get another contract, sell the recipe, or try to open their own brewery)

Some details still need to be worked out, such as price(we’d keep it pretty affordable though) and labeling and that kind of stuff, and i do have ideas like if a recipe is very successful, the brewery might make an offer for the rights to brew it full time.

So my question to you guys would be, as homebrewers would you ever be interested in using a service like this?
Private message Send the author a private message

Unclerudy 12:3
Arbor brewing company already does something like this currently called the ratpad. You give the brewer your recipe and they scale it up for you and you help brew it with them. They then sell it on tap. There is no fee whatsoever to do this. Check them out if you want more info.
2/11/2013 11:04:16 AM

Private message send the author a private message

ysl20030223
Originally posted by Unclerudy
Arbor brewing company already does something like this currently called the ratpad. You give the brewer your recipe and they scale it up for you and you help brew it with them. They then sell it on tap. There is no fee whatsoever to do this. Check them out if you want more info.

Thank you! I will definitely check it out.
2/11/2013 11:21:34 AM

matt7215 2151:64
2/11/2013 11:36:05 AM

drewbeerme 3879:1
this really wasn’t a quick question
2/11/2013 11:36:48 AM

beastiefan2k 2358:176
Originally posted by matt7215
something like this?

http://summitcitybrewerks.com/tap-rental.html

was just about to post that as well.

While a cool idea I do not think it would be very profitable. If you have the space to brew and the clientele to sell, why add another person into the equation? On the other hand, if you do not have the stream of business I do not think this would add a lot.
2/11/2013 11:40:30 AM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add