Range of styles

Reads 1227 • Replies 16 • Started Friday, December 12, 2014 5:58:28 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Mr_Pink_152
beers 14470 º places 455 º 05:58 Fri 12/12/2014

I’m not sure if it’s a winter thing (sometimes winter beers seem more inventive), or just a coincidence, but recently I feel I have been trying a wide range of beer styles. So I thought I’d check.

It turns out the last 50 beers I’ve tried and rated were from 28 styles. I thought this was fairly high. Especially as 35% of my tried and tasted beers come from just 2 styles.

How do your stats compare?

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 06:04 Fri 12/12/2014

Orval

imdownthepub
beers 26045 º places 2098 º 06:10 Fri 12/12/2014

I actually would have expected to come across more Stouts, Porters and generally darker beers at this time of year but I have been finding Bitters, Goldens and APA’s a lot more available. It may be an Oxford thing perhaps, but we are certainly struggling to get over to the darker side this December.
There’s always tonight perhaps.

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 06:16 Fri 12/12/2014

it depends ..i only rate sometimes these dayz. my local ALWAYS has a stout or porter cask and its ever changing ... or keg beers like UK Black IPA’s or Saisons ... so if i was in the mood to rate lots i could pick up differing styles just walking 2 minutes ...
but i’d rather drink orval ..

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 06:46 Fri 12/12/2014

Originally posted by imdownthepub
I actually would have expected to come across more Stouts, Porters and generally darker beers at this time of year but I have been finding Bitters, Goldens and APA’s a lot more available. It may be an Oxford thing perhaps, but we are certainly struggling to get over to the darker side this December.

One thing I find a bit irksome is the rather widespread practice of releasing "Christmas" beers that are nothing more than bog standard bitters or golden ales with something Christmassy in the name. And often providing no indication at the point of sale what type of beer it is.

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 07:29 Fri 12/12/2014

I am also finding out that importers are changing styles of beers with their labels. For instance Harviestoun Porter at 6% is called a Black Ale in the US. On the first rating it has been added as an ’Old Ale’. It is actually a porter but a heavy abv one for the style. I have raised an edit. Beavertown Holy Cowbell is not a ’Black IPA’ either. It’s not got the malt profile for a Black IPA but it is a hoppy stout. I can always e-mail/text Logan for confirmation.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40489 º places 1239 º 07:38 Fri 12/12/2014

Originally posted by tdtm82
Beavertown Holy Cowbell is not a ’Black IPA’ either. It’s not got the malt profile for a Black IPA but it is a hoppy stout. I can always e-mail/text Logan for confirmation.

No leave it alone.

Scopey
beers 24178 º places 727 º 07:41 Fri 12/12/2014

I am also finding out that importers are changing styles of beers with their labels. For instance Harviestoun Porter at 6% is called a Black Ale in the US. On the first rating it has been added as an ’Old Ale’. It is actually a porter but a heavy abv one for the style. I have raised an edit. Beavertown Holy Cowbell not a ’Black IPA’ either. It’s not got the malt profile for a Black IPA but it is a hoppy stout. I can always e-mail/text Logan for confirmation.
Remember just because the label/brewer classifies it as a certain style doesn’t make it so. The difference between a hoppy stout & black ipa will always be a contentious topic. Described on the label as India stout, but it is a black IPA in my eyes. FYI all versions of Harviestoun old engine oil (cask/bottle/varietals) are described on this site as old ale. Whats so wrong about that?

jjsint
beers 7715 º places 1335 º 08:11 Fri 12/12/2014

For instance Harviestoun Porter at 6% is called a Black Ale in the US. On the first rating it has been added as an ’Old Ale’. It is actually a porter but a heavy abv one for the style.

All ales with the name of ’Old’ in the title are old ales. That’s how you can tell. Next you’ll be saying that Greene King IPA isn’t an IPA. A world like that would be too frightening for me.

Oh, and... 29 styles in my last 50 beers. Weird and certainly unexpected.

traPISSED
beers 106 º 08:25 Fri 12/12/2014

Im beginning to not think by style any more regarding the very modern new world beers. Many new producers are experimenting so much that its often hard to really define what style you are actually drinking. The old world traditional beers are much more straightforward.

Just as a disclaimer, I love this new experimental mindset that brewers now have.

imdownthepub
beers 26045 º places 2098 º 08:25 Fri 12/12/2014

Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by imdownthepub

One thing I find a bit irksome is the rather widespread practice of releasing "Christmas" beers that are nothing more than bog standard bitters or golden ales with something Christmassy in the name. And often providing no indication at the point of sale what type of beer it is.

Agreed, it is a real pain and you know you have to work through them to find the odd gem.