RateBeer

Ratebeer API access?

read 6844 times • 21 replies •

Thread Frozen
 
DietPepsican
premium
beers 1533 º places 56 º 13:51 Fri 8/10/2012

Iíve been using my key for months in IE6.

 
joet
premium
admin
beers 2409 º places 100 º 18:31 Fri 8/10/2012

Iíve found a solution to the problem I think. Here are the constraints

1. ratebeer canít withstand unlimited use of its services so usage needs to be monitored and limited

2. ratebeer and the craft beer community deserve to share in any rewards for development with the API

3. monitoring the keys and projects out there takes some time and attention

There is still some abuse. Some I overlook. For some I needed to revoke keys but no biggie.

Hereís what Iíll do:

1. Set the number of available keys to 100
2. Perform quarterly reviews and eliminate unused keys, booted API usersí keys
3. Use these new slots to offer additional keys
4. Post the number of keys available
5. Require API requests come with a brief proposal
6. State the type of projects preferred by RateBeer based on our Mission Statement and current interests
7. Allow Eric to moderate this list

Does this sound good?

 
puzzl
beers 3257 º places 138 º 19:20 Fri 8/10/2012

Looks fair enough to me, so long as the information is transparent and readily available and the reviews do happen on a proper schedule. I think this is a very fair system. Whatís the possibility of the keyholders being listed publicly, along with a link to their project? Especially considering the desire to have the craft beer community having a share in the rewards, it seems fair, and would create good traffic to their app.

 
joet
premium
admin
beers 2409 º places 100 º 19:34 Fri 8/10/2012

Originally posted by puzzl
Looks fair enough to me, so long as the information is transparent and readily available and the reviews do happen on a proper schedule. I think this is a very fair system. Whatís the possibility of the keyholders being listed publicly, along with a link to their project? Especially considering the desire to have the craft beer community having a share in the rewards, it seems fair, and would create good traffic to their app.


The API key holder should be able to opt in or out of public view.

Weíve had a fair number of key holders who were using RB data in proprietary research and we were under NDA. A number of other partnership projects were kind enough to share their development with RateBeer on condition we did not expose their work to the public.

There are many though who would probably enjoy the exposure. This is something weíd happily provide!

 
erickok
premium
beers 4322 º places 198 º 03:02 Sat 8/11/2012

That sounds like a very good plan Joe, and I am happy to help out. Asking for a proposal with every RateBeer key seems fair and a public list (opt out) can help the community see whatís been done with their data.

 
TheBeerShopLTD
beers 2 º 19:33 Thu 9/13/2012

Iím in the same boat. How much cash do I send, and has that helped??

 
kp
premium
beers 10884 º places 11 º 20:42 Thu 9/13/2012

Originally posted by TheBeerShopLTD
How much cash do I send

$12.99 for a premium membership would probably be a good start.

 
madmuppet2k
21:05 Wed 10/3/2012

Originally posted by joet
Hereís what Iíll do:

1. Set the number of available keys to 100
2. Perform quarterly reviews and eliminate unused keys, booted API usersí keys
3. Use these new slots to offer additional keys
4. Post the number of keys available
5. Require API requests come with a brief proposal
6. State the type of projects preferred by RateBeer based on our Mission Statement and current interests
7. Allow Eric to moderate this list

Does this sound good?




This all sounds good. Should those of us who have sent API requests via email in the past continue to wait for a reply?

 
erickok
premium
beers 4322 º places 198 º 09:17 Thu 10/4/2012

I know that Joe is working on this at the moment, but things more a bit slow. He has contacted me to start this better allocation process of API keys, but Iím afraid more patience is required.

 
madmuppet2k
06:49 Fri 10/5/2012

Originally posted by erickok
I know that Joe is working on this at the moment, but things more a bit slow. He has contacted me to start this better allocation process of API keys, but Iím afraid more patience is required.


Thanks for the info. Should us impatient people continue to check this thread or somewhere else? :)