RateBeer New England Meetup #2 (better weather edition)

Reads 1724 • Replies 38 • Started Monday, March 17, 2014 7:28:26 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

johnnnniee
beers 7173 º places 217 º 15:37 Sun 3/23/2014

I am going to make this one no matter what I have to swap on my work schedule?
I know you guys said no one from Maine showed up, but what if we met in Portland? Just throwing it out there, lots of great stuff in a small area.

Reynolds314
beers 3472 º places 41 º 16:40 Sun 3/23/2014

I personally would love to do Boston. Splitting hotel rooms makes it a lot more affordable for people. Mid june seems like a nice time for prices after graduations and before heavy summer costs.

Worcester doesnt really have enough to do. Armsby abbey is nice and dive bar is a cool summer stop but other then that well... youre in Worcester.

Portland is Awesome but Im bias against that one personally because Ive gone twice in the past year and it would be nice to do a slightly more southern one this time to include people from Mass/CT that arent willing to travel that far.

Ernesto987
beers 6082 º places 104 º 17:50 Sun 3/23/2014

I actually did this pub crawl for my birthday. Reynolds set it up. We hit nightshift, idle hands, mystic, cambridge, lord hobo, and a few others. We staying in watertown super 8. We went cheap cause we dont care. Either way, it was a blast. I skipped treehosue cause I actually like fairly close to it.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 18:31 Sun 3/23/2014

Originally posted by Reynolds314
Portland is Awesome but Im bias against that one personally because Ive gone twice in the past year and it would be nice to do a slightly more southern one this time to include people from Mass/CT that arent willing to travel that far.

I’m in southern CT and I’d do Portland before Boston if this is going to be in the summer.

Some other locations that might be fun for a summer meetup are Bar Harbor, Portsmouth, Northampton, or Providence, RI.

I can’t do June regardless of location.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 05:06 Mon 3/24/2014

You guys should consider turning this into a proposal for RBSG. Looks like no one has submitted one yet. They’re due March 29.

jleblanc
beers 8 º places 5 º 07:59 Mon 3/24/2014

I’m seriously considering writing a proposal for RBSG Boston, are there any locals that would like to give me a hand/ideas in submitting a proposal before the deadline in 5 days....?

ClarkVV
beers 13405 º places 111 º 09:18 Mon 3/24/2014

Originally posted by jleblanc
I’m seriously considering writing a proposal for RBSG Boston, are there any locals that would like to give me a hand/ideas in submitting a proposal before the deadline in 5 days....?

I’m certainly willing to help, though I don’t really know what that entails.

I know most of the owners of the Boston/Cambridge beer bars and breweries, don’t know if that helps for anything.

Lemme know what I can help with/do and I will.

Cheers

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 09:31 Mon 3/24/2014

Originally posted by jleblanc

I live in Cambridge and would be willing to help if you have questions that need answered. I’m not much of a planner myself, though. As for ideas, I’m not sure what a summer gathering needs for ideas other than bars and breweries to visit? Do you need help with that, or more general logistical stuff?

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 09:37 Mon 3/24/2014

Originally posted by Cletus
Originally posted by Reynolds314

I’m in southern CT and I’d do Portland before Boston if this is going to be in the summer.

Some other locations that might be fun for a summer meetup are Bar Harbor, Portsmouth, Northampton, or Providence, RI.

I can’t do June regardless of location.

Is this specifically due to concerns of elevated costs in Boston during the summer, or are there other motivating factors?

I ask because I’m curious to get a better feel for what people want from such an event.

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 10:24 Mon 3/24/2014

As a general comment, it has been quite interesting to watch this conversation develop. I fully expected varying opinions on the pros and cons of different locations. What I didn’t quite realize is how different the ideas were on what kind of "event" we were discussing. It seems there’s intentions to do anything from a scheduled casual meet up of a few locals to a full scale RBSG.

I guess, recognizing this, there’s two ways to approach planning. One is to use this thread to continue to voice opinions and desires and attempt to find some sort of consensus that makes the most people happy. The other is for people who have specific desires and ambitions to put them together into a "proposal" or some sort (either formal like the RBSG thing, or more casual like just suggesting an idea and a date) and just letting those who are willing and interested hop on board.