RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > Minnesota | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Ratebeer Summer Gathering 2013

read 9118 times • 163 replies • posted 8/17/2012 9:25:59 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17

DalzAle 1999:13
Hey Gang,

Iíve started the ball rolling in an attempt to get summer gathering to MN next summer! Iíve reached out to the following breweries (so far) and am awaiting responses: Indeed, Town Hall, Steel Toe, Surly, Fulton, Summit, Barley Johnís.

Tyler has already emailed and offered to help, but depending on what we put together in the proposal, we may need more.

If anyone has contacts at local bus companies to get us a good rate on a shuttle, or a hotel with a cheap ballroom rental; please let me know.

Feel free to post other ideas, suggestions, etc. here.
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
TheHOFF43 1758:109
I am relatively new to this site and craft beer as a serious hobby/obsession in general. However, my job allows me a lot of freedom in terms of time so if you need my help in anyway, let me know. I live in Bloomington, work in Minnetonka and I love driving during rush hour traffic.

Kyle
8/17/2012 9:28:25 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
tennisjoel 1182:32
I will make a point to try and attend if the TC area is successful.

Sorry I canít be of much help with planning down here in Rochester.
8/17/2012 9:31:24 AM

mattyb83 737:20
Iíd definitely help out when I can. A little busy at the moment, but should have a better chance late next week for some free time.
8/17/2012 9:57:07 AM

premium
JK 4603:295
I did a lot of work, along with Dan and Ben and other guys, for the last time and i am willing to help again.

I donít have time for a long response right now, but I will say upfront that we had a very difficult time in finding a venue for the grand tasting, fortunately the Best Western Normandy downtown was able to accommodate.

In í07, we determined a bus was not cost effective for moving around the twin cities.
8/17/2012 10:52:43 AM

premium
Originally posted by JK
In í07, we determined a bus was not cost effective for moving around the twin cities.

Though it seems like the bus option has been used since...I think it is a nice and safe option, even if a bit pricy.
8/17/2012 10:56:55 AM

DalzAle 1999:13
Originally posted by tennisjoel
Originally posted by JK

Though it seems like the bus option has been used since...I think it is a nice and safe option, even if a bit pricy.

Grand tasting on a bus while going to and from Fitgers? (Kidding...)
8/17/2012 11:14:02 AM

premium
Originally posted by DalzAle
Originally posted by tennisjoel
Originally posted by JK

Grand tasting on a bus while going to and from Fitgers? (Kidding...)

Road trip up to Fitgers was discussed as a pre-gathering event back in í07.
8/17/2012 11:47:25 AM

premium
TheHOFF43 1758:109
Getting growlers/bottles from as many out-state places as possible and bring them down would be fun (I think). I go to Duluth once a month so I could bring some back...
8/17/2012 11:53:40 AM

premium
Originally posted by khoffman43
Getting growlers/bottles from as many out-state places as possible and bring them down would be fun (I think). I go to Duluth once a month so I could bring some back...

Based on past experience, with the sheer volume of beer brought to summer gatherings, most of the out state growlers opened would get less than half finished. Unless you do not mind drinking multiple day old growler beer. Honestly it would be better to seek out bottles, although I know that many places (like Fitgers) do not bottle.

In case youíre not familiar, people from all over the U.S. and a few from overseas attend the summer gathering.

That said, I do recall a few growlers being brought to the last summer gathering. One that stood out for many was a Berlinner Weise from Fitgers.
8/17/2012 12:03:50 PM

premium
JK 4603:295
Originally posted by khoffman43

That is small scale. Challenges are finding a place that will let lots of people bring in outside alcohol and drink it on their premises. Aside from that, it is planning a fun, beery weekend filled with activities and industry people that want to consider special accommodation for the Ratebeer people.

5 years ago, we had stops at Town Hall, Surly, Happy Gnome, and a lot of other places with smaller groups. Locals drove out of towners to events, and we determined that even if people had to use cabs, it would be less expensive than a bus. There are a lot more options now.

I strongly suggest we have a venue in mind that we know will let us come in with our own beer for the Grand Tasting, assuming people want to have a tasting, before we have a bid or commit to doing it.
8/17/2012 8:09:52 PM

Home > Forums > Minnesota

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers