RateBeer Summer Gathering 2014: Proposal Deadline Reminder

Reads 7973 • Replies 103 • Started Monday, March 24, 2014 5:00:27 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

phaleslu
admin
beers 16531 º places 792 º 12:26 Tue 3/25/2014

When the new voting rules came out before RBWG, it seemed like they were mostly welcomed. After that trial run, the rules appear to have been relaxed a little bit, but more complaints (well, one) seem to be emerging. Am I misremembering how it went a few months ago?

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 12:34 Tue 3/25/2014

Originally posted by phaleslu
When the new voting rules came out before RBWG, it seemed like they were mostly welcomed. After that trial run, the rules appear to have been relaxed a little bit, but more complaints (well, one) seem to be emerging. Am I misremembering how it went a few months ago?

Nope, I think what’s happened is that a lot of the more active, contributing members of this site who attend almost every RB event, did not renew their premium membership when it expired for various reasons.

I have to admit, I barely use the rating side of this site anymore now that untappd exists and am also more active, physically in the local community via Facebook. That’s not a knock on Ratebeer, which still has the best databases of any community by far. It’s just a lot easier to use those other communities for certain things.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16531 º places 792 º 12:41 Tue 3/25/2014

Doesn’t seem to be any controversy over premium membership in this one:

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/ratebeer-winter-gathering-2014-proposal-deadline-reminder_246362.htm

Nor this one, except on page 5 when someone contests the length of membership, not premium membership:

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/ratebeer-winter-gathering-2014-proposals-and-voting_246843.htm

As far as I can tell, those were when the new rules were first announced, but let me know if I’m wrong. (I was wrong about the geography factor, by the way; that’s just done for data at this point. So the rules between this round of voting and the last are the same.)

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 13:10 Tue 3/25/2014

I’ll go ahead and donate the $3 a month to reup the 3 people that find this to be such a big deal as long as they attend RBSG in St Loius this year and share a rew with me.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 13:23 Tue 3/25/2014

I have to admit I have not read this entire thread but I will gladly be the voice for the 2nd class citizens that are the non-premiums. Do the non-premiums not rate? Do the non-premiums not trade? Do the non-premiums not comment, troll and participate? We, as Ratebeerians, must not hold down this class. Them being able to vote again would be as monumental as the 19th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America.

I stand proudly with my non-premium brethren for the betterment of RB?Gs from California to the New York island, from redwood forests to the gulf stream waters, THIS SITE WAS MADE FOR YOU AND ME!

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 13:26 Tue 3/25/2014

Originally posted by mikem409
Originally posted by TheAlum
Originally posted by TheAlum
Please hold off
your Seattle proposal until next summer please and thanks :)

No place for this within this thread.

And your issue with it is??

Do you not see an issue with telling another person or group NOT to submit a proposal?
Friendly or serious, I say again.. no place for this within this thread.

If you can’t tell from the smiley face it was not at all serious. And if you think me sating that would keep someone from proposing Seattle your on fantasy island. Wife and I are going to Seattle next summer and a gathering while there would have been amazing. And if Seattle wins this year I hope its a great time for all attending

Hey Alum

I definitely appreciate the spirit of your post. Thanks! :-)
But as one of the authors of the Seattle proposal, I instantly and 100% took MikeM’s comment to be a good-natured compliment, and nothing else.

Not saying the good experiences of RBians are more important than the rules around here, but no harm done in this case.

Cheers!

ClarkVV
beers 13401 º places 111 º 14:07 Tue 3/25/2014

FT: My vote for RBSG. ISO: Wildly overvalued and overhyped BA Imperial Stout

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 15:08 Tue 3/25/2014

Originally posted by phaleslu
Doesn’t seem to be any controversy over premium membership in this one:

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/ratebeer-winter-gathering-2014-proposal-deadline-reminder_246362.htm

Nor this one, except on page 5 when someone contests the length of membership, not premium membership:

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/ratebeer-winter-gathering-2014-proposals-and-voting_246843.htm

As far as I can tell, those were when the new rules were first announced, but let me know if I’m wrong. (I was wrong about the geography factor, by the way; that’s just done for data at this point. So the rules between this round of voting and the last are the same.)

Peter, I have had an issue with it since the silly rule came out. I completely understand why it came out but it seems overly restrictive.

I am also not a cheapskate and feel that I have monetarily supported the site for a long time in more than just my own membership.

If RBSG is in either Seattle of StL there is an extremely strong chance I will be there (hoping for an August date). I will be leaving in Seattle and my in-laws are in StL (actually have a glasses and t-shirt connection, which may be helpful). Heck, if its in Seattle notalush could even come and stay with me.

But to not have the ability to voice my opinion in a manner that counts feels a like a bit of an offense. I think it is unfair and I believe any other RBers in my shoes would feel the same (if they are actually looking to attend and have been long time contributing members of the community).

I understand that others in the past have abused the system but to exclude a large portion of RBians that have always had this ability seems inappropriate, to say the least.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 15:41 Tue 3/25/2014

Don’t like it? Support the site, pay to go premium, and vote. It’s in the rules and the reasons why this rule is in place has been explained already. Bummer that filtering out someone gaming the system and voting for themselves 300+ times has to happen, but it does. People take this shit and WINNING that seriously. It’s a safety measure not an FU to people that don’t care to go premium.

Please stop derailing this thread.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 15:49 Tue 3/25/2014

Originally posted by pepsican
Please stop derailing this thread.

I haven’t been here for a bit, but have you stopped posting in Farsi and finding blank posts humorous? How times change...