Ratebeer winter gathering kickoff thread

Reads 9976 • Replies 157 • Started Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:17:37 PM CT

Thread Frozen
 
Cletus
beers 6355 º places 233 º 11:37 Wed 8/22/2012

New Orleans, Las Vegas, Santa Fe and SLC would all be great winter places for a beer gathering. The question is whether or not anyone is willing to actually organize something in any of these areas.

Iíd love to actually make it to one of these. Presidentís week would be ideal for a gathering for people who donít get a choice on vacation time and also for people who have families. Unfortunately, these events are usually planned at random times of the year that tend to favor the under 30 and single crowd. Thatís cool.

Michigan would absolutely suck for a winter gathering. If yíall are shooting for a good incredibly cold place, Montreal would be much more doable than Michigan and has a good beer scene (except for Sundays).

 
Terminus
beers 3544 º places 356 º 17:18 Wed 8/22/2012

Im thinking about doing an Albuquerque/Santa fe gathering proposal or teamup with some folks to do an St Louis one.

 
miketd
places 125 º 17:54 Wed 8/22/2012

Originally posted by Cletus
New Orleans, Las Vegas, Santa Fe and SLC would all be great winter places for a beer gathering. The question is whether or not anyone is willing to actually organize something in any of these areas.

Iíd love to actually make it to one of these. Presidentís week would be ideal for a gathering for people who donít get a choice on vacation time and also for people who have families. Unfortunately, these events are usually planned at random times of the year that tend to favor the under 30 and single crowd. Thatís cool.

Michigan would absolutely suck for a winter gathering. If yíall are shooting for a good incredibly cold place, Montreal would be much more doable than Michigan and has a good beer scene (except for Sundays).


I probably wonít be able to go no matter where this is, but you do realize Santa Fe, Albuquerque and SLC can be incredibly cold and snowy in the Winter, right? Santa Fe has an elevation of 7000 ft and is a ski destination.

I would rather be in NM or SLC rather than MI any time of year, but they do get chilly!

 
KAggie97
beers 3529 º places 220 º 12:44 Thu 8/23/2012

Originally posted by drowland
Now Iím just confused.


Frank is now head of security at Babies-R-Us.

 
KAggie97
beers 3529 º places 220 º 12:48 Thu 8/23/2012

Originally posted by gunhaver
tampa florida usa


Oh, the USA Tampa, Florida. I was gonna say: Dang, I wonder how many people are gonna fly to Tampa, Florida, Saudi Arabia.

 
phaleslu
beers 9253 º places 534 º 13:03 Thu 8/23/2012

Originally posted by Terminus
Im thinking about doing an Albuquerque/Santa fe gathering proposal or teamup with some folks to do an St Louis one.


I could help you put an STL one together for the next Winter or Summer Gathering. Iíll be traveling this fall and off the grid a lot, but can help a lot after New Yearís. STL is subject to winter weather but is usually nice in March. This past winter was super mild, so even January or February wouldnít have been bad.

 
Beerlando
beers 3342 º places 70 º 13:20 Thu 8/23/2012

My back yard again, a-la the very informal RBWG 2009 (aka Chunk & Patriotís Lick-Yo-Face-Off Throwdown)?

Highlights from that tasting:

- The first mass consumption and rating of Purple Possum Habanero Mead
- My Boston Terrier Patriot repeatedly face-raping mgumby10 and other participants
- Dickinsonbeer homebrew aplenty
- Some of the very first batches of CCB stuff, growlered by Degarth himself
- Northernbrews out-drinking EVERYONE....how he was still coherent at the end of the night, I have no idea

 
NobleSquirrel
beers 3439 º places 209 º 13:27 Thu 8/23/2012

Originally posted by t0rin0
Originally posted by TheAlum
Originally posted by t0rin0
Originally posted by Unclerudy
Grand Rapids Mi during the winter beer fest.


We went to the summer fest during RBSG 2010, that was an awesome festival, even if it rained.


If anything, the rain was awesome because it cleared the festival out substantially and the weather completely changes (IE - Cooled Down) post-storm.


We took off our shoes and played cornhole (or "bags" to you midwesterners) in the rain while ticking. Good times.


I definitely when for a swim in the gigantic puddle lakes there. What fun!

 
pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 13:28 Thu 8/23/2012

Originally posted by KAggie97
Originally posted by gunhaver
tampa florida usa


Oh, the USA Tampa, Florida. I was gonna say: Dang, I wonder how many people are gonna fly to Tampa, Florida, Saudi Arabia.


 
Fratto
beers 2845 º 15:49 Sat 8/25/2012

Originally posted by t0rin0
Originally posted by TheAlum
Originally posted by t0rin0
Originally posted by Unclerudy
Grand Rapids Mi during the winter beer fest.


We went to the summer fest during RBSG 2010, that was an awesome festival, even if it rained.


If anything, the rain was awesome because it cleared the festival out substantially and the weather completely changes (IE - Cooled Down) post-storm.


We took off our shoes and played cornhole (or "bags" to you midwesterners) in the rain while ticking. Good times.


What is cornhole/bags?