Rating Beer Raters?

Reads 13062 • Replies 50 • Started Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:29:46 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Nate
beers 4279 º places 330 º 13:41 Thu 1/17/2008

Originally posted by BMOOR
Originally posted by Nate
Apologies if posted elsewhere...

http://flossmoorstation.blogspot.com/2008/01/over-analysis-syndrome.html

1st comment .. someone seems a bit upset:

Point of interest, Nate was refering to the 1st comment posted. Nobody affiliated with Flossmoor Station is upset, gets upset, or will be upset.
Just settin’ the record straight...
Matt

Yes indeed!! I was referring the first reply, not the blog entry itself, so apologies if my post was taken out of context by the blog author or the good folks at Flossmoor Station.

padrefan98
beers 854 º places 38 º 14:09 Thu 1/17/2008

Sometimes bad reviews could be better then no reviews. Maybe even some smart breweries might be watching to see what some ratebeerians are saying. What a great control group to test your product on.

cheap
beers 8803 º places 326 º 14:09 Thu 1/17/2008

When I first read Nate’s post, I thought he was the one on a rant and I thought to myself ’what?’...then I went to the site.

MilkmanDan
beers 1942 º places 20 º 14:25 Thu 1/17/2008

My appearance is middling. My aroma isn’t bad. My flavor? Well, I’ve been told it’s not good.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 14:38 Thu 1/17/2008

Originally posted by MilkmanDan
My appearance is middling. My aroma isn’t bad. My flavor? Well, I’ve been told it’s not good.

Don’t mind this guy, he’s in the 5%

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 14:41 Thu 1/17/2008

Originally posted by pb_rick

I’m basically posting to make sure folks who read the copy/pasted text realize that was a comment on the Flossmoor Station blog, not an entry by the brewer.

Thanks pb_rick, you are right.
And BBB63, remember, I’m not bob the commentor, just Matt. And keep rating exactly how you feel. Constructive criticism helps.
Finally, remember, this quote was in my original post:
"(BTW, IMO this monster of a beer rating sites is great in many ways-free marketing for one and a great exchange of thoughts ideas and experiences.)"

Matt, I know you were not "Bob" and my points were directed towards him. Sorry if it appeared I was addressing you in my first post.

All the good brewers I know are always trying to do better or at least tweak not only a beer but their brewing techniques as well. No one is an expert or perfect, raters (aka customers) or brewers.

I have panned 8 Floosmoor beers 3.0 or lower but then I have given 11 beers ratings of 3.9 or higher. I have drank more than enough beer from your brewery not to let one bad experience keep me away. Heck I felt so bad about being critical of three beers at FoBAB I made sure you both knew how I felt at the fest before the ratings got posted. I was there last week to try a couple more good beers and as I stated "Looking forward to the next great Flossmoor Beer!"

You can remove Flossmoor and insert Goose Island, Piece, Three Floyds, Shoreline, Back Road, The Livery or Bells and the message would be the same. I support all the brewers of my favorite locals and wish them nothing but the best.

Cheers,
Mike

heemer77
beers 5783 º places 232 º 14:56 Thu 1/17/2008

I will never understand complaining about FREE publicity/ advertising. Don’t want bad reviews? Stop making bad beer.

That said, Flossmoor is great!

Cornfield
beers 5569 º places 143 º 17:47 Thu 1/17/2008

Originally posted by Nate
Apologies if posted elsewhere...

http://flossmoorstation.blogspot.com/2008/01/over-analysis-syndrome.html

1st comment .. someone seems a bit upset:

Point of interest, Nate was refering to the 1st comment posted. Nobody affiliated with Flossmoor Station is upset, gets upset, or will be upset.
Just settin’ the record straight...
Matt

As a Flossmoor Station mug clubber and regular, I’ve just gotta say that Matt’s full of crap!
He and Andrew are ALWAYS giving us beer geeks a difficult time!

In all seriousness... the FS brewers are good folk. They understand that, when a new beer is released, we geeks will want to analyze it. They also know that, once that process is over, we’ll continue to enjoy their beers without pen & pad on hand. I can’t think of any of Matt’s beers that I’ve only had one of. Actually, I think Matt & Andrew would be happier if folk like me, RAYBOY01, dm9831, frankenkitty, Drnk_McDermott, icephyre, et al would enjoy their beers a tad bit less from time to time.

They’re also good about trying and analyzing home brews that we occasionally foist upon them, giving solid, honest reviews and advice.

I think the blog addresses (in part) those of our RateBeerian crowd who’ve become nothing but tickers. For my part, sure... I’m a ratings whore, trying absolutely anything "new" that I can get ahold of, but I keep a good stock of favorites at home, and I visit brewpubs like FS for some damned good beers, whether I’ve had them before or not.

Rate On! and Enjoy!

But right now, I have a "new" German doppelbock that’s calling my name........

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 20:54 Thu 1/17/2008

Originally posted by cheapdark
How about this quote: "95% of the people we have encountered on RB are wonderful. Then there are the 5% that think they know more than everyone else, especially anyone new. Ignore those people and feel free to ask question on the Forums."

I would personally feel a lot better about this quote if Geoff would let me buy him a beer more often.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 21:00 Thu 1/17/2008

Originally posted by BBB63
My response:

Well us beer "critics" also do a lot for promoting good breweries and their best beers. I guess that you don’t understand that concept. People will make special trips to a brewery to try that buzz worthy beer that someone else recommends.

Sure there are beers that get a poor review but in the end the mean averages balance out one persons opinion.

Lastly both beer sites you listed are independent and unbiased. In my case (as well as many) beergeeks, we DO NOT rated based on style guidelines of the BJCP. We rate beer based on how good or bad we think it is. I have given a few bad reviews of Flossmoor beers but the majority of the beers are very good and some even world-class.

We are simply a more educated customer who enjoy beers. Almost none of us ever claim to be an expert but it is fun to learn something new each and every day. Really who is an expert anyway? I am sure there is plenty of things Matt and Andrew still have yet to learn or perfect as well.

Looking forward to the next great Flossmoor Beer!

Mike aka BBB63 @ ratebeer.com

Amen!

Everyone’s a beer expert! If you drink beer and know what you like, you’re a beer expert!