RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

rauchbier recipe advise

read 1498 times • 22 replies • posted 9/21/2012 2:07:58 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

sylvia40 1:
Looking for input on my grainbill. I plan to use 5 lbs each of Munich and Bamberg Smoked pale malt. Does this sound right or should I alter it?
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
JoeMcPhee 8411:508
You donít need to post in every forum when looking for advice.
9/21/2012 2:12:08 PM

Private message send the author a private message

HornyDevil
What does the rest of your recipe look like?
9/21/2012 2:28:23 PM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Thatís probably fine, but Iíd probably go 6.5 & 6.5 of each. A touch of carafa for color wouldnít hurt either (1oz). bitter to~ 28ibus, no late hops and you should be good. Iíd recommend a step mash as well to aid with clarity.
9/21/2012 2:51:05 PM

sylvia40 1:
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
You donít need to post in every forum when looking for advice.

Thanks. I know that........now.
9/21/2012 3:06:14 PM

sylvia40 1:
Originally posted by HornyDevil
What does the rest of your recipe look like?

Iíd planned on using Cascade whole leaf to bring it up to about 25-30 IBUs. Problem is, theyíre home grown and I have no idea what their AA is. Iím mostly concerned with getting enough smoke flavor and richness. Aecht Schrenkerla is my favorite rauchbier on the planet. Iím also reusing some English ale yeast from a brown ale brewed back in mid-July. The yeast has been sitting in my fridge for about two months. I question the sanity of trying this, but Iíve heard some folks reuse a yeast after several months to no ill effect.
9/21/2012 3:11:53 PM

premium
SamGamgee 2452:182
That yeast is mostly dead by now, but you can try making a starter with some of it and see if you can propagate some healthy yeast out of it. I say just buy some new yeast and be safe. If you want the intensity of shlenkerla, I would use more smoked malt, like 90%. Thatís about what they use (Iím told) though they smoke their own malt so itís not going to be exactly like the stuff you can buy.
9/21/2012 3:19:15 PM

sylvia40 1:
Thereís activity in the yeast starter, so Iíll pour off the liquid and leave the sludge behind. It did smell a little off...
9/21/2012 3:23:38 PM

lithy 2996:156
If you like Schlenkerla you can do all Rauch and then about 4% Carafa II Special for color. And for godís sake donít use that yeast if it smells off.
9/21/2012 3:48:00 PM

SudsMcDuff 5813:183
mmm smoke....
9/21/2012 4:30:35 PM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
I wouldnít go 100% with commercial smoked malt. I have done a 100% besalz rauchmalz beer and it worked great for blending and was palatable but took a long time to mellow. I recently did a smoked mild with 50% rauchmalz and English ale yeast and it is plenty smoky while letting the base beer come through as well. Itís one of my favorite smoked beers Iíve done.
9/21/2012 5:57:29 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add