RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Rauchbier recipe advise

read 1524 times • 22 replies • posted 9/21/2012 2:07:58 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

Fred82 2115:7
I did one with 70% Weyermann Smoked malt and itís not smokey enough for me (Iím also a fan of Schlenkerla). Next time Iíll go for 90% or 95% smoked plus some Munich. I personally donít think Cascade is a good idea. For the yeast Iíd pick a brand new dry english yeast... itís only a few bucks and not worth risking an entire batch with your questionable yeast. Try to ferment on the cold side of the recommended temperature for the yeast so you minimize the yeast flavors and get closer to a lager-like profile.
9/21/2012 7:17:36 PM

Private message send the author a private message

Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by Fred82
I did one with 70% Weyermann Smoked malt and itís not smokey enough for me (Iím also a fan of Schlenkerla). Next time Iíll go for 90% or 95% smoked plus some Munich. I personally donít think Cascade is a good idea. For the yeast Iíd pick a brand new dry english yeast... itís only a few bucks and not worth risking an entire batch with your questionable yeast. Try to ferment on the cold side of the recommended temperature for the yeast so you minimize the yeast flavors and get closer to a lager-like profile.

Why an English yeast? US05 would be better (cleaner) than that, or even an Altbier or KŲlsch yeast.

Agreed on Cascades being out of place...nay...an abomination in a Rauchbier.
9/22/2012 3:07:31 AM

HornyDevil
I did one with 70% Weyermann Smoked malt and itís not smokey enough for me (Iím also a fan of Schlenkerla). Next time Iíll go for 90% or 95% smoked plus some Munich.

Yeah, I think the more smoked malt the better. Especially if youíre using commercially smoked malt. Now if youíre using home smoked malt, you could probably get away with around 50%, but I like mine rauchbiers smokey, so put me down for at least 75% with maybe some character malt in there just for good measure.

I personally donít think Cascade is a good idea.

I would agree with this. Citrus + smoke just arenít good bedfellows. A nice noble varietal or a neutral high alpha hop would be the way to go. Just a small bittering addition and then let the smoke do the rest.

Originally posted by Fred82For the yeast Iíd pick a brand new dry english yeast... itís only a few bucks and not worth risking an entire batch with your questionable yeast. Try to ferment on the cold side of the recommended temperature for the yeast so you minimize the yeast flavors and get closer to a lager-like profile.

Definitely think that youíd want the cleanest profile possible. Well, at least I would. So using a neutral strain like US05 would produce the desired result. You could also do this beer as a psuedo-lager if you didnít want to ferment it as a true one. Iíve always liked the characteristics of the German Ale strain when kept on the colder side of things.

9/22/2012 9:40:37 AM

foduck 330:8
Be more daring and donít use any smoked malts. Instead, build hot-burning wood fire and heat a big stone in it until the stone is white-hot. Then after youíre done cooking your wort, drop that stone into your kettle. The smokiness will come off of it and the heat on the stoneís surface will caramelize some of the sugars.
Then cool the wort and proceed normally.
9/22/2012 2:07:16 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by foduck
Be more daring and donít use any smoked malts. Instead, build hot-burning wood fire and heat a big stone in it until the stone is white-hot. Then after youíre done cooking your wort, drop that stone into your kettle. The smokiness will come off of it and the heat on the stoneís surface will caramelize some of the sugars.

Steinbier =/= Rauchbier

Sorry, thanks for playing.
9/22/2012 6:11:34 PM

premium
admin
Danko
I agree that if youíre doing a rauchbier "Bamberg-style" and using commercial smoked malt then you need 100% or close in your malt bill worth of smoked malt. If youíre using some home made variety or something from, say, a whisky distillery then 10-20% can be more than enough.

Itís good advice not to mix C-hops with smoke, and instead go with a nobel hop variety.
9/23/2012 4:21:20 AM

SamGamgee 2452:182
Also agree with no cascade. Even as a bittering hop, some character will come through. Go clean bittering or noble.
9/23/2012 4:00:07 PM

sylvia40 1:
I checked on the F.G. today and it was very nice. Smokey enough, but I could stand more. I used 8 lbs of smoked malt, 2 lbs of Munich and a lb of 120L and it tastes fine for now. Also went with Tettnag 1 oz for 60 minutes at 5% aa. Smoke flavor will fade with time, so next batch will be 100% Bamberg smoked malt. Thanks for all the advice (spelled correctly this time).
10/7/2012 6:37:19 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by sylvia40
I checked on the F.G. today and it was very nice. Smokey enough, but I could stand more. I used 8 lbs of smoked malt, 2 lbs of Munich and a lb of 120L and it tastes fine for now. Also went with Tettnag 1 oz for 60 minutes at 5% aa. Smoke flavor will fade with time, so next batch will be 100% Bamberg smoked malt. Thanks for all the advice (spelled correctly this time).

Whyíd you add a pound of 120L? To me, that sounds like a terrible idea...
10/8/2012 7:05:10 AM

robrules 1
Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by foduck

Steinbier =/= Rauchbier

Sorry, thanks for playing.

I guess this fallacy lives on due to Rauchenfels using smoked malt in theirs.

Might get some smokiness out of it if the rock is in the fire itself though getting charred wood bits attached.
10/8/2012 12:31:39 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add