RBESG 2014

Reads 9085 • Replies 107 • Started Monday, January 6, 2014 1:06:53 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 08:28 Thu 1/9/2014

Originally posted by Marko
London :(.

Eh, I really NEED to get my ass there, if I manage to gather funds, I will. But dibs on someone’s place to stay - I’ll really need to minimize costs.

I am sure someone will be able to put you up. Even if you have to stay in a few places you can spend one night at mine, but I dont think the other half would be happy for the whole event im afraid.

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 09:29 Thu 1/9/2014

In for London as well. Would also like to minimize costs though, so like Marko I too am ISO 2 square meters of floor space with a roof over it to lay my drunken body down for a couple hours of much needed sleep.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 10:41 Thu 1/9/2014

Eh, I really NEED to get my ass there, if I manage to gather funds, I will. But dibs on someone’s place to stay - I’ll really need to minimize costs.

You’re always welcome at our place. Although, if it’s around GBBF time, space (apart from floor) can be in short supply.

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 11:49 Thu 1/9/2014

London, eh? Temptation level high. (And ditto for costs - but we’re happy with floor, and even the occasional snore)

Open to alternatives though.

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 12:32 Thu 1/9/2014

Originally posted by chriso

You’re always welcome at our place. Although, if it’s around GBBF time, space (apart from floor) can be in short supply.

2 square meters is all I need!

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 13:09 Thu 1/9/2014

Potential for two RBESG? London is always there, its almost a permanent fixture to do stuff gbbf week. I’m definitely up for coming along this year. But there’s nothing to stop having a second one elsewhere in Europe.
Also want to point out beer bloggers conference in Dublin in July, some US ratebeerians over then and brewery visits/beoir events probably happening too;so that would make a good other event...fairly close to gbbf tho

Leighton
beers 33712 º places 1204 º 00:48 Fri 1/10/2014

Originally posted by Beersiveknown
Potential for two RBESG? London is always there, its almost a permanent fixture to do stuff gbbf week. I’m definitely up for coming along this year. But there’s nothing to stop having a second one elsewhere in Europe.
Also want to point out beer bloggers conference in Dublin in July, some US ratebeerians over then and brewery visits/beoir events probably happening too;so that would make a good other event...fairly close to gbbf tho

No, Steve. You may not be familiar with the RB gathering format, but the point is to only have one. In the US, they have one in the winter and one in the summer. In Europe there has traditionally only been - one in the summer. By only having one, it encourages more people to come as the event is considered more ’special’. If you had multiples then attendance could potentially get split.

Now, some countries (Belgium, Denmark and UK come to mind) have their own meet-ups throughout the year. These are smaller events than the RBESG and generally are only one day and the attendees generally are all from the country in question. And these meet-ups do not coincide with RBESG.

If you would like to put together a proposal for an RBESG in Dublin then you may do so. Please post in this forum if you intend to do this.

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 01:32 Fri 1/10/2014

As I’m moving I wouldn’t be able to put the legwork in to make it a decent event and unfortunately there’s probably not enough active raters in Ireland to make it a goer either.

All I’m worried about with RBESG being same time as GBBF is that there’s often a lot on already with Chrisos usual tasting too. Is too much of a good thing bad?

Leighton
beers 33712 º places 1204 º 01:43 Fri 1/10/2014

Originally posted by Beersiveknown
As I’m moving I wouldn’t be able to put the legwork in to make it a decent event and unfortunately there’s probably not enough active raters in Ireland to make it a goer either.

All I’m worried about with RBESG being same time as GBBF is that there’s often a lot on already with Chrisos usual tasting too. Is too much of a good thing bad?

There are different ways to look at it. One way is that most folks who don’t live in the UK are likely not going to make two trips to London in one summer (one for RBESG, one for GBBF). So, it would be better to have the two events close to each other. Also, last time RBESG was held in London, I think everybody really liked all that was going on. The chriso tasting was the Saturday pre-GBBF and then RBESG was the weekend at the tail end of GBBF; and, honestly, I don’t know anyone who likes going to GBBF late in the day on Friday and certainly not on Saturday.

So, as things stand, London is still the only city for which people have expressed an interest in hosting.

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 03:58 Fri 1/10/2014

One thing we’ve never done as a RBESG group is a brew day. We could look to someone like Brew By Numbers to let us use their pilot kit and brew a beer there if folk we be interested. Id be happy to organise such a thing.

Also this year at GBBF wwek Im intending to hold different events at different crafts all through the week, be it tap takeovers or a lambic fest or something. So there will be masses of things to do that week and think its the best time to hold it.

Should it be in London that is...