RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > Japan | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

RBJG #2

read 9787 times • 192 replies • posted 9/20/2012 6:11:33 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20

jonno 2336:123
Sounds like a plan Tim. As I said, Iím packing.

Originally posted by TimE
OK, I have a proposal for RBers in Japan. I was thinking it would be good to collect seasonal beers for the overseas RBers, so they can try some of the best products Japan has to offer for the Grand Tasting. What I propose, for simplicity sake, is that I buy beer from now until March and store it at my house and split the cost with local RBers. At the Grand Tasting, we can have two tables, one for Japanese craft beer and one for overseas craft beer. Overseas RBers get first crack at Japanese Craft Beer and Locals get first crack at anything from overseas. I know this is a bit of a controversial idea, but it doesnít necessarily mean that locals canít drink overseas beers and vice-versa, but simply that certain people get first chance at certain beers. I want to ensure that overseas people get to drink, and rate, some of the best Japan has to offer.

Also, the reason for me to suggest I buy the beer is because I am going to suggest using the Party Room on the 2nd Floor of my building for the Grand Tasting. Iíve never been in the Party Room, but it seems to hold up to 30 people and is equipped with a kitchen and I am sure has tables and chairs, so it should suit our needs without problem. It is 3000 yen/hour to rent, with a maximum usage of five hours and closes at 9pm. Given the expected number of people, it would be 1000-1500 yen/person for the usage, assuming we rent from 4pm-9pm. 9pm finish isnít too bad if we are going on a tour the next day and some people may still have jet lag and be happy to get home at a reasonable hour. I can just chill all the Japanese beers at my place, put into a cooler and then take to the 2nd floor. My apartment is located at Tamachi station, which is on the Yamanote line between Shinagawa and Tokyo Station. It is convenient. http://shibaura-airtower.com/english/01_know.html

Iíve thought about some beers to pick up. I will pick up 660ml-1.1L of each beer depending on serving sizes. Some of the beers, I might pick up extra if I donít think many RBers in Japan have tried the beer.

Potential list. Please add any ideas you might have.

Brewery
Moku Moku
Smoke
Barely Wine

Daisen G
Wheat Wine
Imp Stout

Shiga Kogen Various

Baird Various

Bierenmiester Various

Oh La Ho Porter

Aqula Bock, plus any interesting seasonals.

Of course, if local RBers see some beer that we think we need to have, please pick it up and it can go towards your contribution.

Tim

PS Was just trolling through Aqulaís website and saw what looks like a great poster for the Akita Prefecture Oktoberfest. http://www.aqula.co.jp/blog_aqula/

10/9/2012 6:41:49 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
TimE 3191:251
Originally posted by jonno

OK, I have a proposal for RBers in Japan. I was thinking it would be good to collect seasonal beers for the overseas RBers, so they can try some of the best products Japan has to offer for the Grand Tasting. What I propose, for simplicity sake, is that I buy beer from now until March and store it at my house and split the cost with local RBers. At the Grand Tasting, we can have two tables, one for Japanese craft beer and one for overseas craft beer. Overseas RBers get first crack at Japanese Craft Beer and Locals get first crack at anything from overseas. I know this is a bit of a controversial idea, but it doesnít necessarily mean that locals canít drink overseas beers and vice-versa, but simply that certain people get first chance at certain beers. I want to ensure that overseas people get to drink, and rate, some of the best Japan has to offer.

Also, the reason for me to suggest I buy the beer is because I am going to suggest using the Party Room on the 2nd Floor of my building for the Grand Tasting. Iíve never been in the Party Room, but it seems to hold up to 30 people and is equipped with a kitchen and I am sure has tables and chairs, so it should suit our needs without problem. It is 3000 yen/hour to rent, with a maximum usage of five hours and closes at 9pm. Given the expected number of people, it would be 1000-1500 yen/person for the usage, assuming we rent from 4pm-9pm. 9pm finish isnít too bad if we are going on a tour the next day and some people may still have jet lag and be happy to get home at a reasonable hour. I can just chill all the Japanese beers at my place, put into a cooler and then take to the 2nd floor. My apartment is located at Tamachi station, which is on the Yamanote line between Shinagawa and Tokyo Station. It is convenient. http://shibaura-airtower.com/english/01_know.html

Iíve thought about some beers to pick up. I will pick up 660ml-1.1L of each beer depending on serving sizes. Some of the beers, I might pick up extra if I donít think many RBers in Japan have tried the beer.

Potential list. Please add any ideas you might have.

Brewery
Moku Moku
Smoke
Barely Wine

Daisen G
Wheat Wine
Imp Stout

Shiga Kogen Various

Baird Various

Bierenmiester Various

Oh La Ho Porter

Aqula Bock, plus any interesting seasonals.

Of course, if local RBers see some beer that we think we need to have, please pick it up and it can go towards your contribution.

Tim

PS Was just trolling through Aqulaís website and saw what looks like a great poster for the Akita Prefecture Oktoberfest. http://www.aqula.co.jp/blog_aqula/

Can you let us know what your packing?
10/9/2012 7:51:56 AM

premium
FYI, I looked at the Party Room at my building and it looks good. Tables and chairs for 20 people, full kitchen with fridge, stove, sink and counter and view of a canal. We can probably fit more people in if necessary, but I would be surprised if we got over 20 people.
10/10/2012 5:25:22 AM

premium
MartinT 7811:521
Sounds great, Tim!
10/10/2012 6:13:25 AM

premium
Theis 13410:114
10/10/2012 6:15:01 AM

jonno 2336:123
Originally posted by jonno

Can you let us know what your packing?

10/12/2012 6:16:40 AM

premium
shoulderbroken 2026:182
Oh, should probably have said, all the above is good with me.
10/13/2012 6:32:24 AM

premium
I was out with Jonno tonight and we discussed a rough itinerary for RBJG, which I will post later and get peopleís thoughts. However before I forget, we thought it would be a good idea to mention bars that are English speaking friendly - if you havenít been to Japan, you might be surprised at how few people speak English. Luckily craft beer bars tend to have at least one person that speaks basic English.

Bars with fluent/native English speakers on staff
Devil Craft
Faucets
Craft Heads
Thrash zone
Nakameguro Taproom (not always, but most of the time)
Aldgate
Ant N Bee
Brimmer Beer Box (only been twice, but both times staff spoke very good E)

In Yokohama
El Nubichinmon (Owner isnít fluent, but he speaks English very well)
Bashamichi Taproom (if staff donít speak English, you can try Chuck the manager, who will be in the back cooking. He is very friendly)
Thrashzone

Places with staff with conversational English
Beersaurus
Shinshu Sakemura
Ushitora
Dry Dock

Of course many places have English speakers of varying degree that work from time to time. There are very few places where Japanese is definitely required, as menus - at least beer menus, are usually both in Japanese and English.

I am sure I missed some places, but this is a basic overview.

Tim
10/13/2012 7:30:31 AM

premium
KyotoLefty 6465:478
On a side note, for anybody who is planning to visit Kyoto as well, you should get your hotels booked as soon as possible, meaning, like, now. Kyoto has about half a million hotel rooms, but in that time of year, they are ALL booked out. Every day the cherries bloom, the cityís population basically doubles. Plan ahead if you are coming.
10/17/2012 2:45:42 AM

left_bank 69:47
just to play "my part" in this,osaka,which is the 3rd largest city in japan and a 43-50 min trade ride from kyoto,should have plenty of rooms available!
last year,i was booking rooms for some friends in the 10,000 yen range for cherry blossom season in february and had choices in all parts of the city.
10/17/2012 6:47:28 AM

Home > Forums > Japan

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search
Add A Beer
Add A Brewer