REAL craft/import places

Reads 969 • Replies 15 • Started Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:04:42 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cheap
beers 8825 º places 326 º 06:04 Wed 7/2/2014

So, this probably has been discussed many times.

I’ve been seeing every bar and beer distributor showing up in the ’places’ around Pgh lately, many are just typical beer places.

IF this is the criteria (below), every possible bar and beer distributor should be included in the data base. It used to be, places were deleted if they weren’t ’really’ a craft/import destination.

Should we not more closely scrutinize the beer places? The beer map is flooded with balloons of not so craft/import places.

Criteria:
Place Addition Requirements

Please only add places that:

Are not already in our database
Serve craft beer
Are open for business
We will delete ALL entries that do not meet this criteria.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 08:31 Wed 7/2/2014

Its remains a tough one. I rallied for something like this, but it his far too difficult to patrol on a global arena.

If a place REALLY has not one decent beer and it is near my home turf, I do call for its deletion.

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 08:49 Wed 7/2/2014

They don’t have to serve craft beer exclusively or primarily, just serve craft beer. It is basically left to the judgement of whomever enters it. I am not sure if that is official policy or not but that is how it shakes out.

I like having all of them in there for when I’m staying in a hotel and just want to find the closest place to pick up a sixer or have a glass of beer at a bar. You can sort by rating if you want to find the best places. We don’t need to scrutinize what gets entered, we need to encourage people to rate places so that we get a better picture of what is worth going to.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 08:56 Wed 7/2/2014

Originally posted by Frank
I like having all of them in there for when I’m staying in a hotel and just want to find the closest place to pick up a sixer or have a glass of beer at a bar. You can sort by rating if you want to find the best places.

This.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 09:02 Wed 7/2/2014

I agree with Frank. It makes more sense to have everything. If I am visiting a place I might just want the most basic beer possible. IF I plan on going to the best beer bar/store in the area I will have that planned and figured out. ADD MORE PLACES!!!!!!!

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 09:09 Wed 7/2/2014

Additional Frankness.

If a place has been added, has ZERO rating and the link takes you to a site that shows awesome and trendy people but no listing of beers served, it might be a sign.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 09:09 Wed 7/2/2014

Originally posted by fly
Additional Frankness.

If a place has been added, has ZERO rating and the link takes you to a site that shows awesome and trendy people but no listing of beers served, it might be a sign.

or if the only rating is a 100 from the owner of the establishment.....

bytemesis
beers 15304 º places 1595 º 09:22 Wed 7/2/2014

Originally posted by RABinCO
or if the only rating is a 100 from the owner of the establishment.....

if that is the case report it! :)

In general the inclusive policy works better if more people rate places. Get out there and rate! And rate the bad ones too; that is probably more important than adding yet another glowing review of Torst or the like.

cheap
beers 8825 º places 326 º 09:27 Wed 7/2/2014

Today any bar will have a craft beer or 2 or 3. I was just concerned the RB places data base is getting too much like the yellow pages or a simple google search. But, you guys are right, as long as there is a valid description or 2 in there from a ratebeerian, it gives you something to go on.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 18:44 Wed 7/2/2014

This site is not ratebar. The criteria should be the best of whats around in the geograpic area. If all you want is a place to have a random beer, use yelp, Google, or the local yellow pages.

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 19:00 Wed 7/2/2014

I get the idea that other places do the every-single-bar thing so RateBeer should be more exclusive but I think that it has honestly just not worked out--at least not for me and I have been disengaged from place ratings because of it.

I leave out entering places my own self because I am just not sure what the criteria should be. It is not specified and what constitutes a good beer bar in Toledo, OH might be pretty run-of-the-mill for San Diego, CA. Does it make sense that an identical bar might be included one place and not the other? Better to just throw it all in there and leave the ratings to decide. Works for beers, should work for bars too.