Really Good Fruit Salad

Reads 977 • Replies 7 • Started Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:56:05 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Cobra
beers 1100 º places 24 º 21:56 Sun 2/19/2012

1 cup strawberries
1 cup blueberries
1 cup red raspberries
1 cup black raspberries
2 large ripe bananas
1 cup green seedless grapes
1 cup red seedless grapes
1 ripe mango
1 ripe Kiwi
1 ripe Granny Smith apple, sliced
1 ripe Fuji apple, sliced
1 cup cantalope
1 cup ripe watermelon
1 large pink grapefruit, peeled & segmented
1 large navel orange, peeled & segmented

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup saison beer

Mix well in a large bowl & serve ice cold.
Feeds about 8 people.

DaSilky1
beers 2607 º places 66 º 22:16 Sun 2/19/2012

Does all that liquid make it runny? Does it need the addition of whipped cream or sour cream or something? Can the fruit absorb that much straight liquid? Maybe so, there are some porous fruits in there, just asking.

Beerona97
beers 2399 º places 114 º 22:23 Sun 2/19/2012

Sounds good, but what are the chances I would get one of each of those fruits?

Cobra
beers 1100 º places 24 º 09:24 Mon 2/20/2012

Originally posted by DaSilky1
Does all that liquid make it runny? Does it need the addition of whipped cream or sour cream or something? Can the fruit absorb that much straight liquid? Maybe so, there are some porous fruits in there, just asking.

I’ve made this recipe with the addition of fresh nectarines, peaches, and plums. If the fruit is really ripe & juicy, you can cut back on the saison, but I’ve never had a problem with the fruit absorbing any extra liquid. If you want to make it super fancy, you could top it with fresh whipped cream, but the more it marinates, the better it is.
The balsamic vinegar sounds strange, but it really works with some of the sweeter fruits to balance it out nicely.
It is not a cheap dish by any means, but when you make it, there are never any leftovers. I’ve made it for 4-5 years now for holidays, mostly, and there wasn’t enough left over for a snack later on.

Savvy1982
beers 1706 º places 70 º 09:43 Mon 2/20/2012

Originally posted by Cobra
Originally posted by DaSilky1

I’ve made this recipe with the addition of fresh nectarines, peaches, and plums. If the fruit is really ripe & juicy, you can cut back on the saison, but I’ve never had a problem with the fruit absorbing any extra liquid. If you want to make it super fancy, you could top it with fresh whipped cream, but the more it marinates, the better it is.
The balsamic vinegar sounds strange, but it really works with some of the sweeter fruits to balance it out nicely.
It is not a cheap dish by any means, but when you make it, there are never any leftovers. I’ve made it for 4-5 years now for holidays, mostly, and there wasn’t enough left over for a snack later on.

The balsamic does kinda scare me off, but if you say it works....

I think I’ll save this one for summer though, as fruit prices in Canada in February would make this a $90 fruit salad.

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 10:54 Mon 2/20/2012

Balsamic rocks with tart fruit, but you gotta find and pay for the good stuff.

AcctError62185
places 1 º 10:54 Mon 2/20/2012

Don’t be scared of the balsamic, it creates some sort of chemical reaction that makes things sweet. You can toss a couple pints of strawberries with a couple of tablespoons of balsamic and you won’t need sugar.

Cobra
beers 1100 º places 24 º 13:58 Mon 2/20/2012

If you serve this with a cheese & sausage platter, you’ll have a full meal. I use Maytag Blue, some good salami with mortadella, and spicy andouille sausages.