RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Recipe check

read 532 times • 9 replies • posted 10/5/2012 9:57:38 AM

Thread Frozen

premium
JulienHuxley 3344:277
Hi guys, Iím about to do my first whole grain batch and would appreciate your feedback.

ESB:
Estimated OG: 1051
Estimated FG: 1016

Grain:
4.5 lbs Marris Otter
3.5 lbs Pearl Malt
1 lb Crystal 45 L
1 lb Flaked corn

Hops:
60 minutes 1.5 oz EKG 5% leaf
15 minutes 1.5 oz EKG 5% leaf
5 minutes 1 oz Fuggles 4.5% leaf
5 minutes 1 oz EKG 5% leaf

Yeast:
Wyeast 1968 London ESB

Mash:
Single step infusion @ 154 F for 60 minutes

60 minute boil.

I wanted to keep my first recipe simple, but I turned to this ESB because I had some already crushed MO and Crystal lying around (I used to do partial mashes with a BIAB technique). Iím curious as to whether or not I should go for a 75 min boil, if my mash temp is right, and if I should add some chalk and gypsum to the mix seeing my water here is pretty soft.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
Private message Send the author a private message

Unclerudy 12:3
Your FG is a little high. Why are you using corn? Because your FG should be lower with it. And do a 90 minute boil. Just get a little more when you sparge to make up for it. And maybe up the EKG to 2 oz instead of 1.5. What is your efficiency?
10/5/2012 10:02:57 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Thats what I thought. The FG is the result from beercalculus, but Iíve had 1968 attenuate a lot more than 69% when brewing extract/partial mash brews. The corn is there for easy sugar, should I just remove it? Thanks for the tip on the boil time, I thought maybe an ESB would call for a longer boil. I donít really know what my efficiency is as this is going to be my first run on my new equipment, the calculator used 75%.
10/5/2012 10:19:31 AM

Unclerudy 12:3
If you drop down to 152, you will get enough out of your mash. Are you doing a batch or fly sparge? I do batch, and key is to stir up the mash again and let it rest and do a vorlouf again after draining it the first time. Regularly get in the high 80s for my efficiency doing that.
10/5/2012 10:49:40 AM

premium
Yep, going to batch sparge. Iíll follow your recommendations too, makes sense.
10/5/2012 11:13:53 AM

seymour 1465:45
Simple sugar is fine, but Iíd recommend dropping the corn, too. Lots of commercial English ales include cane sugar, brown cane sugar or molasses, all of which enhance the fruity ale esters, but corn isnít true-to-style.
10/8/2012 10:59:48 AM

HornyDevil
Recipe looks just fine. A little more complex than it needs to be, but fine none-the-less. Agreed that the FG will be lower than 1.016. That is all.

10/8/2012 12:03:12 PM

premium
Brewed this today, everything went rather smoothly and I was satisfied with my brewday. I ended up with less beer than expected (about 4 gallons without the trub] but Iíll work on waste on my next batches. Thanks for your input.
10/8/2012 6:11:17 PM

bitbucket 2159:63
Originally posted by JulienHuxley
The FG is the result from beercalculus.

That is probably the least trustworthy number from beercalculus. I tend to ignore it.
10/8/2012 7:55:55 PM

premium
Tasted out of the fermenter today, probably going to bottle this friday. Color is a little light, gold/dark gold color, very clear. Aroma is grainy with just a touch of vegetal english hops, right where I wanted it. Taste is equally nice, canít wait for this one to be bottled and carbed. Measured OG: 1054 FG: 1014
10/24/2012 7:30:26 PM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add