Rene’s Nasty Accident

Reads 3855 • Replies 45 • Started Saturday, March 19, 2016 12:55:03 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

madmitch76
beers 36790 º places 240 º 12:55 Sat 3/19/2016

Quite a few of us know Rene (Benzai), drunk with, got drunk with him and traded with him. So to save him repeating his story over and over - here it is (and why he has been quiet on Ratebeer recently). Suffice to say - OUCH!

Here’s the full story. Feel free to share this with the rest of the UK crew as some might wonder why I haven’t rated a beer in over two weeks (and probably won’t for another 4 or 5 at least).

Well I made a stupid mistake Thursday to Friday night March 3rd to March 4th. It was about 2 am so officially March 4th already. We’d had a regular tasting like every week, nothing out of the ordinary, nobody drunk, nothing special apart from two very good beers at the end of the tasting (last beers I’ve rated). I don’t know why but I took a step back not realising I was just inches away from the stairs. So when I stepped back there was no floor, just air..

Next thing I know I fell backwards down the stairs. There’s not a lot you can do anymore at that point to recover from the motion that you’ve started sort of speak. I tried obviously to grab the railing but didn’t succeed. I banged my head to the wall and one of the steps and the next thing I remember was landing on the floor.

The pain left very little doubt it was bad. I knew straightaway without looking my ankle was broken. I screamed for assistance as my gf was sleeping upstairs. The noise of my fall had already awaken her and she was down quickly. Then it was down to the usual procedure: told her to call 911, over here it’s 112 actually and then I just had to fight through 20 minutes of severe pain until the ambulance arrived.

In the hospital they took photos and they confirmed the obvious as the fracture had also resulted in an open wound on the inside of my left ankle. I also fractured my fibula. I underwent surgery in the afternoon of March 4th, they stitched up the wound and two screws were put in my ankle. The fibula was supposed to heal itself apparently.

I had my doubts but hey, I’m not a surgeon, so I thought "well, they’re the ones who’ve studied for this, I guess they know what to do". I was sent home Saturday March 5th with a couple of drills I should do to make sure not all muscle tissue in my upper leg would disappear over the next 6 weeks as I cannot put any weight on it the entire period. I did those drills but felt something "plopping" in my leg.

I feared the worst but it still hit me hard. Quite some tears were shed when I went to the hospital for the first check up Thursday March 10th as the surgeon showed us the X-rays. He didn’t have to say a word, the fibula bones were not aligned at all but when he said it had all been for nothing and they would have to do the surgery over completely, man I wanted to die at that point. And more bad luck: I had to wait another 6 days before they could schedule me for this second operation.

So, that was Wednesday March 16th. They’ve now ins

madmitch76
beers 36790 º places 240 º 12:55 Sat 3/19/2016

So, that was Wednesday March 16th. They’ve now inserted no less than 8 screws and a metal plate. I’m now anxiously awaiting the check up again which is supposed to take place Thursday March 24th. Hopefully things will still be in the right place then, so I can truly start to count down the days.

In any case, I will be out until May at least. But to be honest, the only things on my mind is whether I can throw the javelin again as track & field and especially javelin throwing is my life, and of course whether I can still go running with my son in the future (he just turned 1 March 14th). Those are my biggest concerns right now, but I guess only time will tell..

RichTheVillan
beers 10685 º places 101 º 12:58 Sat 3/19/2016

Get well soon

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 13:13 Sat 3/19/2016

Good luck Rene. I work on an Orthopaedic ward and deal with Patients with these sorts of injuries everyday. It will be a battle physically and emotionally, but you have your youth and fitness to rely on so you will pull through. If I could give you any advice it would be to work hard on the physio and keep moving. It’s amazing how quickly your muscles and joints stiffen up when you don’t use them.

Garrold
beers 10624 º places 149 º 13:21 Sat 3/19/2016

Wishing you a full recovery. And do what Sarky says. Scar tissue needs lots of work to keep it supple.

RichTheVillan
beers 10685 º places 101 º 13:41 Sat 3/19/2016

Playing darts will help

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 15:53 Sat 3/19/2016

really gutted to hear this Rene, hope you heal up well and get back to your javelin ASAP

minutemat
beers 14561 º places 547 º 16:05 Sat 3/19/2016

Thoughts are with you Rene!

ThirstyBird
beers 3099 º places 53 º 18:05 Sat 3/19/2016

Heal up Rene.... You’re a tough guy, I’m sure that you will do well!

teorn88
beers 7739 º places 109 º 19:27 Sat 3/19/2016

Best of luck for the check up and wish you a quick recovery Rene!

Boudicca
beers 1 º places 1429 º 19:50 Sat 3/19/2016

So sorry to hear about this Rene. Get well soon.