Reserving Beer at your local shop!

Reads 1831 • Replies 19 • Started Monday, February 16, 2015 9:07:28 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Buzzardsuds
09:07 Mon 2/16/2015

I have an excellent relationship with my local bottle shop, to the point, where they’ll hold beers for me and even call me if something comes in that they THINK I’ll be interested in. Does everybody have some sort of an arrangement like this? I’m thinking I’m pretty fortunate!

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 09:56 Mon 2/16/2015

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3hhCh9t-bI

obguthr
beers 11684 º places 22 º 15:10 Mon 2/16/2015

The bottle shop owner/beer geek relationship is a special one.

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 16:03 Mon 2/16/2015

The manager at the best beer store around here is part of our tasting group. So we all receive heads up via text or email when interesting low bottle count beers are hitting Anchorage. I know that if I ask he would set beer aside from me; however I have always thought it to be an abuse of our friendship for personal gain. If I truly want the beer I will make the effort to stop in and buy it. JMO...Shawn

rennat42
beers 5357 º places 205 º 16:32 Mon 2/16/2015

I WISH, hell, I just want a beer store that isn’t full of assholes. One of my relatively local bottle shop owners (no store around here really even caters to beer folks) is a huge tool. They received one case of Bourbon County Stout in this year. I went in the day they were to receive it and there was none on the shelf so I inquired and was told that they kept it all for the store employees and only put 1 four pack on the shelf and it was already gone. I’ve also asked about various other beers (like now that Oskar Blues is in Nebraska, I inquired about Ten Fidy) and if they will be getting any and the owner plays stupid and told me that "Isn’t that a new Budweiser lineup beer. Yea, I think we’ll get some in March but it’s nothing to get worked up about.") The only reason I shop there is because without that place I would have no beer to drink. Otherwise I am having to drive 2 hours to Lincoln to get average service and average selection. Okay, my bitching is over. I do really wish we had a great store where I could form a relationship like that though. I’d certainly be making sure they stayed in business.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 17:57 Mon 2/16/2015

I have had a beer mail message off my local beer store to tell me that a beer that is on my want list had just arrived in. They saved it for me for a couple of weeks until I popped in. If I asked they would save bottles behind the counter for me. I am only a once a month customer and get all this. Ratebeerians get the VIP treatment in general. Top place, most active ratebeerians in the UK will know who they are.

footbalm
beers 1219 º places 76 º 19:26 Mon 2/16/2015

I have a great relationship with my local store. The problem is I live out of the metro and as a result of that we do not always get the special releases. They can order some stuff for me and I always appreciate help.

If it’s on the shelf, fine. If not, I’ll just get something else.

Buzzardsuds
09:40 Tue 2/17/2015

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
If it’s on the shelf, fine. If not, I’ll just get something else.
That’s great, but in my area, there’s breweries/beers like 3 Floyd’s, that, if you don’t have a connection, you’ll never see! There’s many that never hit the shelf!

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 09:41 Tue 2/17/2015

The chain keeps breaking for me as the turnover of employees at one shop near me is endless. I have a good friend and a homebrew crew that does a pretty good job of looking out for each other.

sloth
beers 3473 º places 102 º 11:01 Tue 2/17/2015

If my local holds me something thats cool. If not, hey, its only beer ! They do treat me pretty damn well though. Cheers to the beer guys at statelineliquors, the best !!