RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Restaurant beer sales up 9% in 2011

read 855 times • 5 replies • posted 2/29/2012 4:25:49 PM

Thread Frozen

premium
admin
joet 2172:91
That’s a pretty big increase but it’s also the case that the continuing US economic recovery contributing to restaurants also growing in 2011.

--
The Beer Institute today released new data that show that value of beer sales in restaurants rose more than 9 percent in 2011 totaling about $23.6 billion in sales.

With restaurants responsible for nearly 24 percent of total beer sales in 2011, they represented the largest share of the on-premise sales last year. Beer retail sales in restaurants jumped from $21.6 billion in 2010 to nearly $23.6 billion in 2011.

“Restaurants are having an enormous impact in introducing the many great brands of beer to consumers,” says Joe McClain, President of the Beer Institute.
“Restaurant patrons are trying new brands and styles on draft and bringing that new brand loyalty to off-premise retail channels. The boost in restaurant beer sales shows there is a beer for every palate.”
The boost in restaurant beer sales coincides with a period of growth in the restaurant industry.

more here:
http://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/restaurant-beer-sales-shot-9-percent-2011
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
Pallieter85 14:26
good news, hopefully prices won’t increase 9% as well ;)
2/29/2012 5:12:20 PM

Private message send the author a private message

zdk 1809:95
yeah I bet if you normalized that number to restaurant growth/sales in general the 9% would be even higher.
2/29/2012 6:25:59 PM

Avenuepub 10
Wonder how much of that is craft beer.
2/29/2012 6:46:28 PM

premium
Cletus 6354:233
This makes sense in a stagnant economy. People are looking for more realistic forms of entertainment. Eating out is one of those.

I used to enjoy eating out until my recent stint of eating three meals a day out for 18 straight days.
2/29/2012 6:49:42 PM

premium
CaptainCougar 7132:142
Couldn’t this just mean that beer prices have gone up 9% in the last year and not that volume sales are any higher? Realistically I think it’s a combination of higher prices and sales that give the 9% number. In a down economy, I would think people would be more likely to drink at home given the tremendous markups on alcohol served at restaurants and bars. Then again, I was never that social .
2/29/2012 6:58:21 PM

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search