Road Trip Advice - Cincinnati, Dayton, Indianapolis and Columbus.

Reads 1556 • Replies 21 • Started Sunday, May 8, 2016 6:12:52 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 20:55 Mon 5/9/2016

Thanks everyone. Great advice. I think I’ll stick with Dayton over Louisville for Monday.

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 21:24 Mon 5/9/2016

Taft Ale House. Doesn’t that place make Old Wooden Tooth? I wanted to try that. Doubt it’s still around though.

b3shine
beers 12179 º places 372 º 21:41 Mon 5/9/2016

Originally posted by jtclockwork
Taft Ale House. Doesn’t that place make Old Wooden Tooth? I wanted to try that. Doubt it’s still around though.

Message DrSilverworm. He may have an extra, or if he still has one set aside for me, I’ll share mine with you.

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 00:35 Tue 5/10/2016

Originally posted by b3shine

Message DrSilverworm. He may have an extra, or if he still has one set aside for me, I’ll share mine with you.
I did, but not about this. I’ll mention it though. And thanks!

ohiobeer29
00:42 Tue 5/10/2016

I’d highly suggest hitting Ollie’s place and Belmont’s party supply on your way to Dayton

StFun
beers 567 º places 11 º 08:51 Tue 5/10/2016

For Indy, New Day & Black Acre are the best 2 spots in the city.

Deviate is also really cool. Small batch stuff, usually pretty crazy. Hit up Brugge for sure. Mashcraft & Tax Man are both solid as well. I really like Big Lug because they are making very solid simple stuff that actually just tastes good.

Central State also now have a bar called Koelschip that I would recommend. About half of the taps are Central State, and the other half rotate through various stuff, usually farmhouse, lambics, or small batch stuff from bigger name breweries. These are my buddies, so I might tend to over-pimp them, but I really enjoy this place.

michcam8
beers 593 º places 34 º 17:04 Tue 5/10/2016

Wednesday: Columbus
Zaftig brewing
Seventh son brewing
Pigskin brewing
Land Grant brewing
Columbus brewing
Barley’s Brewing
Four String brewing
North High brewing
Lineage brewing
Knotty Pine brewing
Zauber brewing
Wolf’s Ridge brewing
Elevator brewing
Smokehouse brewing
Actual brewing

Thanks!

Most of the breweries listed above are in the downtown/near north/northwest side. I would bypass Pigskin (far east side) and Actual (unless flying out of port Columbus). I would prioritize by list below (IMO) based off of location and quality. I listed how I would drive to each starting in downtown Columbus:

Columbus Brewing
Wolf Ridge (neat interior/excellent food/average beer)
Elevator (don’t like the beer, but like the place)
Barley’s (similar to Elevator - neat interior)
Hoof Hearted Brew Pub (excellent beer/average food)
Seventh Son
North High
Lineage
Land Grant
Zauber/Four String (very close to each other)
Smokehouse
Zaftig (far north...warehousing area, not as close to the above locations)

I could maybe meet you out on Wed. depending on my schedule. Shoot me a message, or I could reach-out the closer it gets to these dates.

Cheers!
Mike

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 02:02 Mon 5/16/2016

Any advice on upland? They seem to have four locations. Are the Indianapolis locations as good as Bloomington? I’d like to avoid a detour to Bloomington, but want to check Upland out if possible. Thanks.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16529 º places 792 º 09:29 Mon 5/16/2016

Bloomington has the main brewpub and the new sour warehouse (can’t remember what they’re calling it) is just about to open - later this month sometime. I think maybe this coming weekend. Anyway, the Indy tap room is very small and nothing special. 6-8 taps, no food. Some rotators, but not an essential spot by any means. Carmel isn’t worth visiting because it’s a distance from the city. If you just want 6 or so new Uplands, the Indy tap room is fine.

b3shine
beers 12179 º places 372 º 11:18 Mon 5/16/2016

Originally posted by phaleslu
Bloomington has the main brewpub and the new sour warehouse (can’t remember what they’re calling it) is just about to open - later this month sometime. I think maybe this coming weekend. Anyway, the Indy tap room is very small and nothing special. 6-8 taps, no food. Some rotators, but not an essential spot by any means. Carmel isn’t worth visiting because it’s a distance from the city. If you just want 6 or so new Uplands, the Indy tap room is fine.

I agree with all of this, other than that Carmel isn’t worth visiting, and if you (and Ferris) end up staying with me for a night, it’ll be on our way to my house anyway (which is an hour north of Indy). The sour warehouse, or "Wood Shop" as it’s officially named, opens Saturday, May 21st. They haven’t released a whole lot of additional info on it yet though, so I have no idea about what its official hours will be yet. If it’s a must-see for you, I can check with a buddy who works for Upland though.