Hi all! A couple guys from work and I are heading that way next week for a spur of the moment beer trip (in the middle of winter, BRILLIANT.)
Originally posted by Bobbydigi
A lot of this comes down to personal preference and/or what you’re looking for, but here goes:
I like buying my beer at the following places:
1. Woodman’s - Best prices, best overall six-pack selection. Beware of old product though on stuff that doesn’t turn over great. Not the best place for unique imports like lambic, Fantome, etc.
2. Riley’s Wines of the World - Pricier, but has the unique imports.
3. Steve’s - Three locations, and they all have a slightly different selection. Between Woodman’s and Riley’s in terms of selection, but I mostly go there for the unique stuff.
Some folks have good luck at Jennifer Street Market, but I haven’t been. Star Liquor is a lot like Riley’s and Hy-Vee a lot like Woodman’s if those are closer to where you’re staying.
I don’t get out as much as most, but here’s where I like drinking beer:
1. The Malt House - 6 local taps, 6 Belgian taps, 6 other taps. Always something interesting. No food, but you can get it delivered.
2. Brasserie V - Pricey, but lots of interesting Belgians and other imports. Good food.
3. Vintage Brewing - Makes their own beer and always has something new on tap. Awesome burgers.
4. Old Fashioned - 30ish taps, all Wisconsin. If you want to drink Wisconsin, go here.
5. Great Dane - Brew their own. Some don’t like it, I’ve always been a fan. Decent food too, and the downtown bar has good atmosphere.
6. Dexter’s - Kind of like a domestic-themed Malt House with food.
There are oodles of other places around, but those are the ones I find myself at most. I’m sure others can chime in with their favorites.
When are you going to be in town?
Thanks man that should help us a lot. We should be there probably just on the 21st and head back the 22nd. We are going to going to go to Chicago for a day or so as well. We’re pretty much driving up to buy beer and drink some local stuff on tap and head home the next day. Will New Glarus stuff be pretty easy to come buy? Mainly their fruit beers and the Unplugged series. I’m sure the six pack stuff will be all over.
Originally posted by Bobbydigi
I’ll give you a fail-safe plan for buying the fruit beers from New Glarus:
Step 1. Find anywhere in the state that sells liquor.
Step 2. Buy as much Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart as you want.
Okay, maybe not ANYWHERE, but the stuff is all over the place. I’ve found NG displays where you can make a mix-six and get both fruit beers at truck stops. Seriously. Best prices are probably at the aforementioned Woodman’s grocery store. There’s one on the east and west side of Madison, and you get a small case discount if you’re buying 12 or more.
Riley’s always seems to have Unplugged/Thumbprint series the longest in Madison, so you should be able to find the last couple releases there--Barley Wine, Apple Ale, and maybe Chocolate Abbey.
Too bad you’re here on Tuesday...I’m home with my kids that night--otherwise I’d invite myself out to wherever you decide to go to buy you a beer!
Thanks for all the info man. Much appreciated! You need to do something about those kids keeping you from having beers.