Rye IPA = ?

Reads 1092 • Replies 12 • Started Saturday, September 17, 2016 2:59:17 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CH-303
beers 4548 º places 137 º 02:59 Sat 9/17/2016

About to add a Rye IPA beer, but not sure whether it should be added as IPA or Specialty Grain.

Doing an RB "rye IPA" beer search shows them being added to either style...

Should it depend on whether the rye is prominent or not?

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40409 º places 1239 º 03:15 Sat 9/17/2016

Originally posted by CH-303
About to add a Rye IPA beer, but not sure whether it should be added as IPA or Specialty Grain.

Normal default is Spec Grain but I would also taste first and make a call. I’ve had plenty of Spec Grain IPA’s that in my mind are simply an IPA. Depends on the level of prominence as you allude to.

Just the loss of a premier style rate to suck up the Merican bier judges.

Fruit beer is another bug bear of mine on this front. A lot of folks just slam in a beer as a fruit beer because it mentions it in the name, despite the beer being 90% like an IPA, Amber etc.

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 05:22 Sat 9/17/2016

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois

Normal default is Spec Grain but I would also taste first and make a call. I’ve had plenty of Spec Grain IPA’s that in my mind are simply an IPA. Depends on the level of prominence as you allude to.

Fruit beer is another bug bear of mine on this front. A lot of folks just slam in a beer as a fruit beer because it mentions it in the name, despite the beer being 90% like an IPA, Amber etc.

definitely agree re: fruit beer.

CH-303
beers 4548 º places 137 º 08:03 Sat 9/17/2016

Cheers, I’ll see what level it reaches on the rye-o-meter...

Thanks

ClarkVV
beers 13372 º places 111 º 09:17 Sat 9/17/2016

Should always be put in the base category. "X IPA" should be an ipa. Specialty Grain is a catch-all category and should only be used if nothing else makes sense.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 09:25 Sat 9/17/2016

Originally posted by ClarkVV
Should always be put in the base category. "X IPA" should be an ipa. Specialty Grain is a catch-all category and should only be used if nothing else makes sense.

I would like it very much if we found a way to get rid of all the catch-all categories as none of them are really beer styles.

blipp
beers 14840 º places 219 º 09:25 Sat 9/17/2016

Add it as an IPA and tag it as a Rye IPA

blipp
beers 14840 º places 219 º 09:35 Sat 9/17/2016

If it’s an English IPA I’d also add it to Specialty Grain. The traditional English IPA hops (Fuggles and EKG) probably won’t be very prominent, and it likely won’t be above 25 IBUs. So either Specialty Grain or Golden Ale.

Ibrew2or3
beers 10529 º places 353 º 11:21 Sat 9/17/2016

Originally posted by blipp

If it’s an English IPA I’d also add it to Specialty Grain. The traditional English IPA hops (Fuggles and EKG) probably won’t be very prominent, and it likely won’t be above 25 IBUs. So either Specialty Grain or Golden Ale.

For me that gets confusing. If I’m in the mood for an English IPA and I’m using ratebeer to find one I would search IPA. Searching Golde or Specialty Grain wouldn’t occur to me.

Ernest
beers 9435 º places 229 º 15:14 Sat 9/17/2016

Putting beer in "Specialty Grain" is a great way to compare porters, IPAs, and pale lagers, all in the same category! It’s great!

stevoj
beers 16036 º places 1237 º 19:23 Sun 9/18/2016

Originally posted by Travlr

definitely agree re: fruit beer.

Ditto.