Saison Dupont

Reads 7173 • Replies 90 • Started Tuesday, May 12, 2015 6:20:23 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

EdKing
beers 3662 º places 307 º 02:39 Wed 5/13/2015

Originally posted by errantnight
Originally posted by mkgrenwel
Massive eye roll.

We all know ratings have their place, but need to be taken in context. I really don’t need to look up where this beer ranks on any list to confirm how great it is. I could go on a rant about the inherent biases in ratings, or the problem with classification of "saison" in the evolving market, but who cares.

Saison Dupont is iconic and legendary. It’s the benchmark saison. I could make a sincere argument that it’s the best beer in the world. I went to Belgium a year ago and fresh Saison Dupont on tap was the best beer I had the whole trip.

This.

Agreed, this. First time I had it, blew me away. Could be the best beer in the world.

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 03:31 Wed 5/13/2015

Originally posted by CanIHave4Beers

Got real upset w/ my local beerbros when they admitted they had never had it.... keep on spending upwards of $40 a bootle on trading for domestic Saisons, but ignore the world classic chillin @ hy-vee for $10.

Sad but that’s where we’re @.

Upset? I got actually angry with some beerbros who were pontificating about some modern "craft" saison, and when pressed they admitted they’d not only not had Dupont or any Fantome, but hadn’t even *heard* of them. If the top 50 is based on ignorance like that, then it can be safely ignored.

erickok
beers 6033 º places 274 º 03:49 Wed 5/13/2015

Just read in the Saison Dupont Cuvée Dry Hopping commerical description that there are/were unfiltered kegs as well. Anyone know how one can know where these are or how we can know which one we had? The 2015 version I just had was flipping amazing, so much more character than the first time I had it (also on tap, 2013). So I wonder...

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 05:35 Wed 5/13/2015

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by 574deadzone
They print a Julian code ... (14244=September 1, 2014 for example).

How does this work?

The number is YYDDD, where YY is the last two digits of the year and DDD is the number of the day of the year. So January 1st 2015 is 15001, December 31st 2015 is 15365.

574deadzone
beers 1420 º places 11 º 05:52 Wed 5/13/2015

Originally posted by FatPhil
Originally posted by CanIHave4Beers

Got real upset w/ my local beerbros when they admitted they had never had it.... keep on spending upwards of $40 a bootle on trading for domestic Saisons, but ignore the world classic chillin @ hy-vee for $10.

Sad but that’s where we’re @.

Upset? I got actually angry with some beerbros who were pontificating about some modern "craft" saison, and when pressed they admitted they’d not only not had Dupont or any Fantome, but hadn’t even *heard* of them. If the top 50 is based on ignorance like that, then it can be safely ignored.

I would get the baby powder out and bitch-slap any "saison enthusiast" if I heard them say they never heard of Dupont while they were busy waxing their curled mustache and riding one of those giant bicycles with the big front wheel.

minutemat
beers 14649 º places 551 º 06:45 Wed 5/13/2015

Originally posted by erickok
Just read in the Saison Dupont Cuvée Dry Hopping commerical description that there are/were unfiltered kegs as well. Anyone know how one can know where these are or how we can know which one we had? The 2015 version I just had was flipping amazing, so much more character than the first time I had it (also on tap, 2013). So I wonder...

I had no idea it was such a limited release in keg. I got one as well earlier this year and from what I recall I thought it was unfiltered. Certainly poured hazy. A lot of clarity of flavour, but I have to say I’d for the classic Dupont over this.

erickok
beers 6033 º places 274 º 07:01 Wed 5/13/2015

I do feel that Saison Dupont is best when bottled in 750ml and a couple months old. The tap very is fresher but misses some development character. And so do the smaller 375ml bottles, which I like the least.

tennisjoel
beers 2230 º places 53 º 08:14 Wed 5/13/2015

Avec les Bons Voeux is mind blowingly good. Love love love that beer. Dupont is also very good.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 12:12 Wed 5/13/2015

It’s definitely a bummer to see classics fade from the limelight a bit like this, but the fact that classic styles are getting so much capable attention now is so cool. If I have to trade a world where most beer lovers talk about Dupont for a world with dozens and dozens of good saisons (but where I can still get Dupont whenever I want), then so be it.

Dupont almost killed the Provision a while back, they say. They just weren’t selling enough. The US market opened up for them and the orders convinced them to continue production. It sounds like it might have been a close call, but I have no idea whether there’s a tall tale factor at play there or not.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 12:34 Wed 5/13/2015

Originally posted by pepsican
We poured it frequently at events with little if any repeat business from it after the event as well. I do get people telling me it’s a great beer from time to time, but they don’t buy it.

Don’t pour skunked bottles.