San Diego beer trip

Reads 589 • Replies 5 • Started Monday, January 12, 2015 10:53:34 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

dinkle50
beers 1660 º places 136 º 10:53 Mon 1/12/2015

Hey folks,
Any San Diego locals or folks who have take a trip to San Diego to primarily take in the local beer scene? I’m planning a trip and could use some advice on a hotel location. Any suggestions? Downtown seems to be where most the hotels are, but is this a good place to stay?

Thanks!

Lucas

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 11:02 Mon 1/12/2015

Well, you’re going to pay more in certain areas.

You can probably find a cheapish hotel downtown, but then you’re going to need to pay attention to parking charges as they’re typically much higher there.

You can look at something along Hotel Circle (basically runs parallel to highway 8 with lots of hotels on either side of the freeway). It’s a pretty short drive from there to downtown or North Park. It’s not too terribly far from the North County stuff either.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 11:07 Mon 1/12/2015

Downtown is probably the best place to stay unless you have a specific area that you want to spend a lot of time in. You’ll probably find something cheaper outside of downtown though. Places that you’re likely to get drunk and will want to be staying close to:

-Lost Abbey
-Pizza Port (any of the locations, but there is a Motel 6 in walking distance from Carlsbad)
-Alpine (don’t know anything about hotels in/around Alpine)
-Downtown
-Stone (though that’s pretty close to Lost Abbey, Churchills, and Rip Current)

There are trains that run east/west along 78 getting you from Carlsbad out to Escondido as well as north/south along the coast. Once you’re in SD there are plenty of busses and the trolley is great for going from downtown up through Little Italy and over to Mission Valley (not much beer-wise there though)

Use the map (open this in any browser that is not IE) and figure out where you want to go, then plan the hotels around that

http://www.ratebeer.com///beermap?p=0&z=11<=3271533&ln=-11715726

Brigadier
beers 4930 º places 334 º 16:52 Mon 1/12/2015

It’s not really close to anything else but there is a nice(ish) Hampton Inn a few blocks from Modern Times. From memory there are also a couple of hotels near the Stone World Bistro in Liberty Station as well although Oggi’s isn’t so great that I’d go out of my way to visit with so many other great options available.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 03:35 Tue 1/13/2015

Beer places are a bit too spread out in SD to pick one area, though I suppose if you do then downtown does make sense. I stayed in SD last month for four days and we stayed in Ocean Beach, which was fine, as I utilized Uber to get around. We used Air B n B and stayed at an AMAZING place in OB. If you go that route, I can send you a link.
Tim

dinkle50
beers 1660 º places 136 º 15:39 Fri 1/16/2015

Thanks for the advice everybody. Much appreciated!