RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

San Fran dining & brewpub suggestions?

read 686 times • 13 replies • posted 6/13/2013 2:59:26 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

mowz
San Fran July 1st - 5th (leaving morning of 5th).
Staying in the Dolores Park District.
Planning on stopping at Toronado and 21st Amendment.
Any other recommendations?
We already have plans to bike over the Golden Gate to Sausalito. We are also going to check out Fishermanís Wharf (not my idea) and Coyt Tower.
Anything we shouldnít miss checking out? Any good coffee roasters?
Is Swan Oyster bar that good? Overrated?

Thanks for helping me out. If anyone has time, I would like to meet up with some RBers for a brew or two.
Private message Send the author a private message

Jeppe 2631:84
Crenn!!! Donít you miss it!
6/13/2013 3:05:15 PM

Private message send the author a private message

mowz
Originally posted by Jeppe
Crenn!!! Donít you miss it!

Are you referring to Atelier Crenn?
6/13/2013 3:18:01 PM

premium
JoeMcPhee 8188:502
Get to the Mission District - check out Monkís Kettle and the Abbottís Cellar (South Pacific is a decent brew pub in the area as well). Great coffee in that neighborhood too (Four Barrel Coffee Co. and Ritual are both awesome). While youíre up by Toronado, you should keep walking up Haight and go to Magnolia Pub - they do more UK style stuff, but itís usually quite good. Iíd also highly recommend City Beer in the Noe Valley area - there are lot of nice little shops in that area if your GF is into that. Itís a great walking city - but be prepared for a workout if you arenít used to walking around a lot.
6/13/2013 4:27:32 PM

premium
admin
joet 2052:88
Make sure you look at these.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beermap?p=0&z=10<=3775676&ln=-12244085

http://www.ratebeer.com/places/regions/san-francisco/7360/5/

Another plan beyond the bike (which is nice) is to ferry across the bay. It puts you walking distance to Marin Brewing and is said to be one of the most scenic ferry rides on earth (itís nice).

Blue Bottle coffee is nice.

6/13/2013 4:38:24 PM

premium
peteinSD 1280:56
Originally posted by mowz

We are also going to check out Fishermanís Wharf (not my idea) and Coyt Tower.

look for the stall with the most people waiting in line and enjoy some fresh chowder with an anchor steam.

also, if you have any interest in vegetarian food Millenium is a must stop (and they have decent beer selections).
6/13/2013 4:44:29 PM

premium
t0rin0 62:1180
Cerveria Mateveza is across the street from the park. They do some interesting stuff, mostly basic styles with strange ingredients added. They also have bottles to go (and on premise) and some guest taps.

If youíre going to walk over towards Mission you can check out Southpaw BBQ for some decent BBQ and some interesting beers. They have a very strange brewing setup. Maybe 7-10 bbl but they only have one fermenter and one bright tank, so they usually only have one house beer on, along with a bunch of guest beers. Their beers are weirder than Mateveza and also arent bad.

While over that way if you want to check out a place as divey as Toronado you can stop at Zeitgeist and/or Benders.

These are all walking distance from the park, as is Toronado/Rosamunde/Noc Noc. If youíre up for a longer hike, as mentioned in an earlier post you can go on up the road to Magnolia. A little ways past that is Alembic and Amoeba (record store). If you want to go up Haight and not walk you can just hop on either the 6 or the 71 bus and it will take you up and down Haight and actually theyíll take you further to Social Kitchen.
6/13/2013 4:51:34 PM

premium
JoeMcPhee 8188:502
Originally posted by joet
Another plan beyond the bike (which is nice) is to ferry across the bay. It puts you walking distance to Marin Brewing and is said to be one of the most scenic ferry rides on earth

Damn - wish Iíd known that when I was out last time - will definitely have to do this next time Iím in town.
6/13/2013 4:53:34 PM

premium
t0rin0 62:1180
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Another plan beyond the bike (which is nice) is to ferry across the bay. It puts you walking distance to Marin Brewing and is said to be one of the most scenic ferry rides on earth

Damn - wish Iíd known that when I was out last time - will definitely have to do this next time Iím in town.

Itís not cheap ($10ish each way or something like that) but itís worth it once. You go right by San Quentin too.
6/13/2013 5:00:47 PM

premium
admin
joet 2052:88
Originally posted by t0rin0
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee

Itís not cheap ($10ish each way or something like that) but itís worth it once. You go right by San Quentin too.

This is true. Not cheap. Donít think thereís much of a discount for kids?

But getting out on the water or islands really *SHOULD* be done for any visit to SF. Also views from atop a tall building. The city is unique in geographic ways and these vantages can impart some of this.

6/13/2013 7:39:10 PM

mowz
Thanks for the advice! I will post more as our trip gets more planning.
6/15/2013 7:45:58 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers