RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Sanitizing growlers

read 2260 times • 15 replies • posted 6/1/2013 3:30:39 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
smith4498 2980:20
I have some swing top growlers I need to sanitize but donít have any santizing solution. Need some recommendations on some methods Iíve read about.

- beach - 10 ml in 5 L water
- hydrogen peroxide diluted to 0.015% to 0.5%
- dishwasher w/o dishwashing liquid
- slowly heat in oven

Anybody use any of these methods? Iíll be ordering some sanitizer fron an online store soon but it wonít be here in time before I need it.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Private message Send the author a private message

premium
keanex 1379:52
A weak solution of bleach will sanitize them, but you donít need to sanitize them for filling them. A good clean will be enough. If youíre using it for homebrew purposes then buy some starsan.
6/1/2013 3:44:37 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Bacterial 1370:53
Some dishwashers will have a ísanitizeí mode that heats bottles up that I use for homebrew stuff. For refills, just a good rinse with hot water, let dry. You are going to drink it faster than any odd microbe could spoil it.
6/1/2013 4:46:33 PM

premium
smith4498 2980:20
Thanks for the info. I thought I cleaned them well after I finished them but the have that funky old beer smell. Iíll give them a quick rinse with a weak bleach solution to see if that helps.
6/1/2013 4:49:58 PM

premium
keanex 1379:52
Actually, get some Oxyclean. That breaks down all organic matter. Soak overnight then rinse thoroughly. If youíre really paranoid you can soak with a weak bleach solution first.
6/2/2013 7:33:44 AM

flabeer 2
The easiest thing you can do is make sure and rinse and clean directly after finishing the beer. Makes the rest of the process much simpler. The gaskets are more of a concern than the bottle itself. A clean coffee cup with enough water to cover the gasket in the microwave, bring to a boil and youíre good.
6/2/2013 9:33:38 AM

premium
Cobra 1100:24
Boiling water & a handful of baking soda will remove any foreign smells.
Let it sit for 3-4 hours, then rinse well.
Get some Iodophor for sanitizing them. Bleach requires rinsing, Iodophor does not.
6/12/2013 6:18:54 AM

premium
Cletus 6354:233
Do you have any distilled or white vinegar around? You can dilute some vinegar into the growler then thoroughly rinse afterwards.
6/12/2013 12:21:39 PM

premium
Homer321 1591:22
Anything that needs to be rinsed will just defeat the sanitization. Have you seen how dirty pipes and faucets are? In the short term, it wonít matter, because youíll keep the growler cold and drink it fast. Long term, just stop by a homebrew shop and get a no rinse sanitizer like star San.

Also, any residual chlorine or compound (probably not the precise term) from bleach or even water that contains chlorine or chloramine, can combine with phenols in the beer and lead to medicinal flavors.

These are more problems for long term storage and worries of homebrewers and breweries, but treating the growler the same way will never hurt.
6/12/2013 12:31:31 PM

premium
Cletus 6354:233
Originally posted by Homer321
Anything that needs to be rinsed will just defeat the sanitization. Have you seen how dirty pipes and faucets are? In the short term, it wonít matter, because youíll keep the growler cold and drink it fast. Long term, just stop by a homebrew shop and get a no rinse sanitizer like star San.

Also, any residual chlorine or compound (probably not the precise term) from bleach or even water that contains chlorine or chloramine, can combine with phenols in the beer and lead to medicinal flavors.

These are more problems for long term storage and worries of homebrewers and breweries, but treating the growler the same way will never hurt.

In the OPís situation, the goal is to clean and deodorize without using something that will compromise head retention so he can get some growlers filled presumably to drink them. Vinegar, bleach, baking soda, all accomplish this.
6/12/2013 12:35:42 PM

premium
Homer321 1591:22
Originally posted by Cletus
Originally posted by Homer321

In the OPís situation, the goal is to clean and deodorize without using something that will compromise head retention so he can get some growlers filled presumably to drink them. Vinegar, bleach, baking soda, all accomplish this.

Understand. Was just trying to point out that while he was in a pinch, it would probably not be best to adopt those habits long term. I wouldnít want to have a bleachy growler for a beer I was sending on a 6 day trip via ups. (And not saying he would do that). But yeah, Iíve just cleaned a growler with PBW, rinsed and filled before to take to parties.
6/12/2013 12:45:39 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add