Scotland Itinerary

Reads 1686 • Replies 15 • Started Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:47:47 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

brim
places 8 º 02:47 Wed 8/13/2014

Hello All

Next month we’ll be driving a route through Scotland that goes something like this:

Edinburgh>Inverness>Oban>Isle of Mull>Kennacraig>Isle of Islay>Lancaster (England)

Any tips for pubs along the way that would be worth dropping into for a pint and hearty feed?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated too, please!

Cheers, Clint.

McNeillR
beers 2372 º places 16 º 03:04 Wed 8/13/2014

If you fancy pencilling in a tasting some evening in Edinburgh the local crew be more than happy to oblige. What are you dates?

Top pubs are:

Bow Bar
Cloisters
Hanging Bat
Guildford
Stockbridge Tap
Vintage

The last two are a bit away from Princes St.
All but the Bow Bar do more than decent grub.

jercraigs
beers 14850 º places 1049 º 04:56 Wed 8/13/2014

Check out Oink across the street from Bow bar for a tasty pork sandwich. We stopped at the Dores Inn on Loch Ness for lunch. Lovely spot with a huge beer garden and views of the Loch but its on the slow road side of the Loch if you are in a hurry.

Grog and Gruel in Fort William was decent. Allow extra time to stop for photos if you are taking the A82 through GlenCoe/Fort William. Stunning! Google Maps seems to want you to take the A9 though which will take you via Cairngorms National Park which was also quite pretty.

hopbomber
beers 88 º places 40 º 09:23 Wed 8/13/2014

Wetherspoons the corryvreckan in oban is worth sinking a few pints in.

Oakes
admin
beers 30614 º places 1135 º 09:32 Wed 8/13/2014

Not far from Inverness, go to the Anderson on the black isle.

brim
places 8 º 11:15 Sat 8/16/2014

McNeillR, thanks a heap for the offer but we’ve only got the afternoon in Edinburgh and already have a haggis buritto at Los Cardos and a few at Hanging Bat lined up... It’s our second time through the city and they’re our two highlights from the first time around!

Good tips jercraigs, hopbomber and Oakes, ta! In particular the one to take the A82 jercraigs...

Thanks all!

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 12:01 Sat 8/16/2014

Call in on fyne ales en route to oban.

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 12:05 Sat 8/16/2014

Why not go to illegal Jacks for haggis burrito? Just over the road from the bat? If you’ve not been to cloisters before it’s just down the rd from the bat.

If you’re into whisky it’s worth booking ahead at the islay and oban distilleries

anon84892
beers 3284 º places 21 º 14:50 Sat 8/16/2014

Originally posted by Beersiveknown
Why not go to illegal Jacks for haggis burrito? Just over the road from the bat? If you’ve not been to cloisters before it’s just down the rd from the bat.

If you’re into whisky it’s worth booking ahead at the islay and oban distilleries

Illigal Jack’s roll an infinitely superior burrito to Los Cardos as well. I’d go with the beef steak option over haggis myself but when in Rome I suppose.... Make sure you tell them to put all the shit on it, sour cream, jalapenos, the works. Avoid the chicken wings, they are shite. Thank me later

imdownthepub
beers 26028 º places 2088 º 00:03 Sun 8/17/2014

Inverness makes a really good afternoon. The Castle Inn is the most traditional, really good beer and food, Number 27 is more modern just down the road. Blackfriars for banter and finally Hootananny’s for a great evenings entertainment.
I cannot comment on Tomlinson’s bottle shop as I have never seen it open.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 00:13 Sun 8/17/2014

Just waiting till a cousin gets married..