RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Simple Saison

read 2082 times • 20 replies • posted 5/3/2012 3:54:04 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
BBB63 6037:137
Originally posted by joet
Sounds perfect. I want some. :-)

Yay for keeping the yeast choice. A dupont-loving saison brewer not going with 3724 is like a bicycle builder deciding they need a third wheel to keep the machine from falling over.

Warm temps and yeast nutrient. No worries. Wanting to do my summer saison soon too. Lots of chamomille still outside.

Yep
5/4/2012 4:45:00 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
SamGamgee 2452:182
Originally posted by lithy
By the way, I ended up using the sugar mostly because I wanted to add a little more volume, everything went smoothly hit 15 plato, 85 degrees into the fermenter, will check in a little while and hopefully see some action.

Yay for keeping the yeast choice. A dupont-loving saison brewer not going with 3724 is like a bicycle builder deciding they need a third wheel to keep the machine from falling over.

Warm temps and yeast nutrient. No worries. Wanting to do my summer saison soon too. Lots of chamomille still outside.

Agreed. The more beers I have with the French saison strain, the more I think itís a poor substitute used more for ease of use than flavor. Just too dry and phenolic. I canít see myself every using it again. 3724 just has a vastly superior flavor and and balance.
5/4/2012 6:09:01 PM

premium
OldStyleCubFan 77:15
I think this thread officially made me split my next 10G batch between 3724 and 3711
5/4/2012 6:36:24 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by OldStyleCubFan
I think this thread officially made me split my next 10G batch between 3724 and 3711

They are certainly different, but equally good (IMHO) strains for producing saisons.
5/5/2012 4:45:31 AM

premium
JoeinDahlem 1326:279
Wyeast 3724 is the Dupont yeast strain.

Oops, thanks, I read over it twice and missed that.

Have only used 3724 once but got nice results... None of the usual problems with stalled fermentation, but I also left it at 72-75 F ambient for about three weeks.
5/7/2012 2:25:35 PM

seymour 1435:45
So, how did it turn out?
7/11/2012 6:55:17 AM

robrules 1
Originally posted by SamGamgee
By the way, I ended up using the sugar mostly because I wanted to add a little more volume, everything went smoothly hit 15 plato, 85 degrees into the fermenter, will check in a little while and hopefully see some action.

Agreed. The more beers I have with the French saison strain, the more I think itís a poor substitute used more for ease of use than flavor. Just too dry and phenolic. I canít see myself every using it again. 3724 just has a vastly superior flavor and and balance.

I canít stand beers that are too phenolic so when I was doing research on brewing saisons, I sampled some Theirez to make sure using this yeast wasnít going to produce a phenol bomb. The saison I brewed with it was not overly phenolic. I pitched at 68F and just let it do its thing in 70F ambient temp room without any temp control. One of the sellling points to me was the quick ferment, but the flavor profile was really the deciding factor.
7/11/2012 9:22:17 AM

premium
BMan1113VR 7858:379
Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by OldStyleCubFan

They are certainly different, but equally good (IMHO) strains for producing saisons.
They are just different...each has its place depending on what sort of saison you are aiming for. If classic, dupont is obviously a good choice...if you want the dry and pepper (specifically with adjuncts or extra hops) 3711 is a great choice.
7/12/2012 10:27:34 PM

premium
BMan1113VR 7858:379
Does anyone have any thoughts about how long the primary has to stay this warm?
Two thoughts on why you want it to be this warm for a saison: ester production, which is mainly growth phase which is pretty early. Secondly to get the beer finished dryer and quicker. So, a few days should generally be fine as long as your 3724 doesnít act finicky on you.
7/12/2012 10:27:36 PM

lithy 2996:156
Originally posted by seymour
So, how did it turn out?

Absolutely my fault for asking for forum feedback, but then not giving feedback on how the beer turned out.

Better late than never though, I suppose.

Well this beer was a roller coaster ride. I think the recipe was great, the yeast was the issue. The fermentation stalled around 10 plato. After blowing some more oxygen in, rousing the yeast, heating the beer up to 80s again (the cellar was indeed cool and after the initial burst of fermentation, temps quickly fell), we got very little progress. It was dropping about a tenth of a plato a day, it would have finished out in 3 months or so I suppose, but we wanted to írushí it a bit.

We ended up pitching some 1056 in to help it finish out, we figured that a good chunk of the hot 3724 esters had already been produced. It finished around 2.5 plato, still higher than I would have liked, but it wasnít too sweet.

My guess is that the problem was pitching at a high temp, we did another saison at work recently (not my recipe) but pitched in the mid 60s and let it free rise for a day, then capped the temp around 85. This fementation didnít stall and is still progressing a few tenths of a plato a day, and is below 4 already less than a week from brewday.

Overall though, I thought the beer was very nice, it is all gone, save for a small amount left in a keg after a festival which Iíll save for a rainy day, but you can check out the ratings from some kind locals at Church Brew Sanctuary Saison.

Thanks again to everyone that provided input.
9/21/2012 6:50:41 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add