Single hop dry hop experiment

Reads 1429 • Replies 13 • Started Monday, March 17, 2014 11:57:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 11:57 Mon 3/17/2014

I want to brew a 5 gallon batch of IPA and split it into 5 separate gallons to ferment and dry hop each with a different hop. I guess the goal is to make a lazy man’s single hop series of beers.

What I’m not sure of is how to make the beer as hop neutral as possible up until the dry hopping point without "missing" anything. I think bittering should be fine if I just use 1 oz of something with a high AA (Columbus? other suggestions welcome) at 60 minutes. I know the choice of hop will play some role in the finished product, but I figure this is as neutral as I can get.

The problem is in the late additions. If I were to completely omit any hop addition between 60 minutes and dry hopping, would it taste like there was something missing? I figure I’ll buy 1 oz of each of the 5 "single" hops, so I’d be using a full ounce per gallon.

If you think I need some kind of 0 minute addition, what would be a good hop to use that won’t overpower the dry hop additions in flavor? I’m looking to try some of the newfangled hops like Citra, Galaxy, Motueka, Mosiac and something else for the dry additions, so something that would blend well with them is ideal.

If neither of those are going to produce the results I want, I could potentially just split the batch right at knockout and use some of the ounce as 0 minute additions in each gallon, but that’s obviously going to be a bit more work and I’d like to avoid it, unless you think it’s going to yield dramatically superior results.

Please advise.

Cliff
beers 355 º places 72 º 12:26 Mon 3/17/2014

For bittering, use the HopShot stuff from Nothern Brewer. That way any taste perception will not be altered from knowledge of the bittering hop.

HornyDevil
12:40 Mon 3/17/2014

Originally posted by mkgrenwel
If I were to completely omit any hop addition between 60 minutes and dry hopping, would it taste like there was something missing?

As far as assessing what dry hopping with a certain hop brings to the table?

No, you’d get good aroma either way.

As far as producing a well made IPA?

Yes, you’d be missing the heart of your beer. The hop flavor.

If you think I need some kind of 0 minute addition, what would be a good hop to use that won’t overpower the dry hop additions in flavor? I’m looking to try some of the newfangled hops like Citra, Galaxy, Motueka, Mosiac and something else for the dry additions, so something that would blend well with them is ideal.

Though it’s not as cut and dry as this, although you’re not paying attention to your flavor hops in this beer you still need them there for the dry hops to play off of. Just use whatever you’d normally use in a beer like this to give it a solid flavor base and let the different dry hops speak for themselves.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 12:42 Mon 3/17/2014

I would do a neutral bittering hop like Magnum and then chose another single hop for the late additions... maybe something standard like Cascade or Centennial but keep it subdued. Then do a massive dry hop with each variety as planned. They won’t technically be single hop beers, but I’m sure you’ll still get major differences between each one that will give you an idea of what each hop is about.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 12:52 Mon 3/17/2014

Originally posted by joeneugs
maybe something standard like Cascade or Centennial but keep it subdued.

Was going to post the same thing about Cascade or Centennial. Do something that you’re familiar with. Something that you stand a chance of picking out as that hop’s contribution and then being able to distinguish what the dry hopped addition did to the beer.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 13:02 Mon 3/17/2014

How about just putting the hot wort into the different vessels with a portion of the hops and let it cool. Then ferment, then dry hop. That should get you some of the aroma compounds you’d miss with just dry hopping.

HornyDevil
13:34 Mon 3/17/2014

Originally posted by GarethYoung
How about just putting the hot wort into the different vessels with a portion of the hops and let it cool. Then ferment, then dry hop. That should get you some of the aroma compounds you’d miss with just dry hopping.

This would certainly be the best way to eliminate variables, but not the best way to end up with good beers in the end.

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 13:37 Mon 3/17/2014

Originally posted by HornyDevil

This would certainly be the best way to eliminate variables, but not the best way to end up with good beers in the end.

Why do you say this? If I read Gareth’s idea correctly, it’s the same thing i said in my original post, which is that you’re using each individual hop as your 0 minute/KO addition.

Are you imagining a problem with the logistics of separating and cooling the different batches simultaneously?

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 13:39 Mon 3/17/2014

It would probably be the best way to get a good picture of character of the hop. It’s basically just a KO addition, right?

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 14:01 Mon 3/17/2014

Why do you say this? If I read Gareth’s idea correctly, it’s the same thing i said in my original post, which is that you’re using each individual hop as your 0 minute/KO addition.

Are you imagining a problem with the logistics of separating and cooling the different batches simultaneously?

I misunderstood your post then. I thought you were going to ferment out first without any aroma addition, then dry hop. I think a separate ’KO’ addition for each, then dry-hopping after fermentation is the way to go.

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 14:17 Mon 3/17/2014

I misunderstood your post then. I thought you were going to ferment out first without any aroma addition, then dry hop. I think a separate ’KO’ addition for each, then dry-hopping after fermentation is the way to go.

I guess I was working out my ideas as I typed, so I suggested a few things.

One of the ideas, though, was what you said, which is to separate right at the 0 minute and do 0 min/KO additions of each of the 5 hops in each respective gallon.

I’m assuming HD must have misunderstood this when you explained it, because I can’t really think of why he’d object to the idea from a beer quality standpoint.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer