Single hop dry hop experiment

Reads 1427 • Replies 13 • Started Monday, March 17, 2014 11:57:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HornyDevil
14:19 Mon 3/17/2014

Originally posted by mkgrenwel
I’m assuming HD must have misunderstood this when you explained it, because I can’t really think of why he’d object to the idea from a beer quality standpoint.

I did. Misunderstand, that is.

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 14:25 Mon 3/17/2014

Originally posted by HornyDevil
I’m assuming HD must have misunderstood this when you explained it, because I can’t really think of why he’d object to the idea from a beer quality standpoint.

I did. Misunderstand, that is.

Ah, OK.

So it seems the consensus so far is either
1) split at 0 and do a late hop and dry hop with the single hop selections
or
2) finish with a decent shot of cascade at 0 min and then dry hop individual mini-batches

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 14:37 Mon 3/17/2014

Ah, OK.

So it seems the consensus so far is either
1) split at 0 and do a late hop and dry hop with the single hop selections
or
2) finish with a decent shot of cascade at 0 min and then dry hop individual mini-batches

1 is definitely the way to go, rather than 2. The whole point of single hop beers is to get a good picture of exactly what character a hop adds to your beer. Adding another hop just clouds things. Partly because it will be really hard to isolate ALL the aromas that the cascade (or whatever) is contributing, but also because some hops will pair better with cascade (or whatever) than others, and this will make it difficult to work out what you like about each hop.

Using more than one hop might make a nicer beer, but that’s not really what you’re going for. If you’re going to the bother of making 5 1 gallon single hop beers, at least make them single hop.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer