RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Smoked Porter

read 530 times • 9 replies • posted 1/17/2013 9:32:38 AM

Thread Frozen

premium
GodOfThunder 1247:34
I found a good porter recipe on another forum, and simply substituted a percentage of the 2-row for smoked malt. A lot of people were saying 50-60% smoked malt is a pretty good amount. Iím looking for a good amount of smoke to come through. How does this grain bill look for a good amount of smoke?

This is my first all-grain batch.
5 gallon batch...
8lb smoked malt
3lb pale 2-row
1lb oats
1lb Chocolate
1lb Crystal 40L
4oz. Black Patent
1oz. Roasted Barley
8oz. Flaked Barley
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
keanex 1379:52
http://hopville.com/recipe/1664540

The recipe me and my buddy came up with and I have to say itís fantastic. ITís the best recipe heís come up with by far. I honestly think itís the best smoked porter Iíve ever had too, nice smoked meats that arenít too aggressive while having a nice dark chocolate backing. I really do like this beer a lot and recommend brewing it.
1/17/2013 9:53:46 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Guyute_Pig 100:42
Originally posted by GodOfThunder
I found a good porter recipe on another forum, and simply substituted a percentage of the 2-row for smoked malt. A lot of people were saying 50-60% smoked malt is a pretty good amount. Iím looking for a good amount of smoke to come through. How does this grain bill look for a good amount of smoke?

5 gallon batch...
8lb smoked malt
3lb pale 2-row
1lb oats
1lb Chocolate
1lb Crystal 40L
4oz. Black Patent
1oz. Roasted Barley
8oz. Flaked Barley

I actually did my first smoked porter a while ago, waiting one more week to carb before trying. BYO posted Stoneís smoked porter recipe, which is what I went with. It has like .25 oz of peat for the smoke. Good luck J.
1/17/2013 9:53:51 AM

HornyDevil
8lb smoked malt
3lb pale 2-row
1lb oats
1lb Chocolate
1lb Crystal 40L
4oz. Black Patent
1oz. Roasted Barley
8oz. Flaked Barley

1 oz. of Roasted Barley?

Really?

Other than that, it looks pretty solid, though I might simplify it a bit, but thatís just my personal preference. Maybe something like this:

8 lbs Rauchmalt
3 lbs Pale Malt (No need for this really. More rauchmalt or oats or both would be a better idea, IMO)
1.5 lbs Oats
1 lb Chocolate
1 lb Crystal 40L (120L or greater might be a better choice here)
0.5 lbs Carafa III (I think a whole pound would be better)

BTW, what hops and yeast are you using?

I would recommend using S04/WLP002/English Ale yeast. You could also use US05/WLP001/Chico, but I find that it attenuates a bit too much for my liking.

As far as hops go I would recommend a nice neutral high alpha bittering hop like Magnum or Horizon as high co-humulone varietals tend to clash with the smoke.

1/17/2013 11:27:46 AM

premium
Originally posted by HornyDevil
8lb smoked malt
3lb pale 2-row
1lb oats
1lb Chocolate
1lb Crystal 40L
4oz. Black Patent
1oz. Roasted Barley
8oz. Flaked Barley

1 oz. of Roasted Barley?

Really?

Other than that, it looks pretty solid, though I might simplify it a bit, but thatís just my personal preference. Maybe something like this:

8 lbs Rauchmalt
3 lbs Pale Malt (No need for this really. More rauchmalt or oats or both would be a better idea, IMO)
1.5 lbs Oats
1 lb Chocolate
1 lb Crystal 40L (120L or greater might be a better choice here)
0.5 lbs Carafa III (I think a whole pound would be better)

BTW, what hops and yeast are you using?

I would recommend using S04/WLP002/English Ale yeast. You could also use US05/WLP001/Chico, but I find that it attenuates a bit too much for my liking.

As far as hops go I would recommend a nice neutral high alpha bittering hop like Magnum or Horizon as high co-humulone varietals tend to clash with the smoke.

The little bit of roasted barley was just to add a little more robustness, a little more roast/coffee flavor. I want the porter to be pretty robust to blend well with the smoke.

It was also on the original porter recipe I found...
Again, this is my first all-grain batch.
1/17/2013 12:40:06 PM

premium
I was going with Nottingham WLP039, and Northern Brewer and Cascade hops.
1/17/2013 12:41:26 PM

HornyDevil
I was going with Nottingham WLP039, and Northern Brewer and Cascade hops.

Your yeast and bittering hop should be fine, but if youíre using the Cascade as a finishing hop, I would nix it.

Unless you like the idea of smoked grapefruit beer.
1/17/2013 4:11:44 PM

premium
bitbucket 2159:63

5 gallon batch...
8lb smoked malt
3lb pale 2-row
1lb oats
1lb Chocolate
1lb Crystal 40L
4oz. Black Patent
1oz. Roasted Barley
8oz. Flaked Barley

1. That will be plenty smoky with traditional rauchmalz. With something like Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt it would be too much for me.

2. I havenít run the numbers but it seems like youíre sneaking up on a smoked stout, especially if you bump up to C120 and add a bunch of Carafa III.

3. I agree, 1oz. of Roasted Barley will get completely lost in all that.

1/17/2013 7:48:41 PM

robrules 1
Level of smokiness is going to depend on manufacturer and freshness of the smoked malt.
1/21/2013 9:14:11 AM

premium
Okay, Iím not sure what brand my homebrew shop carries.

Iíve tweeked the recipe based on suggestions from here and other sources. I think this is what Iím going with. This may be more of a smoked stout than porter. But, that is really what Iím going for...

Mash at 150

6.5lb. Smoked Malt

3lb. Pale 2-row

1.5lb. Oats

1lb. Caramel/Crystal 60L (Iím not sure I want the more dark fruit flavors of 120L)

1lb. Chocolate

.5lb. Carafa III

5oz. Roasted Barley (I really want a touch of the hard roast/coffee flavor in there)

1oz. Northern Brewer 60mins

.5oz. Willamette 60mins

Nottingham Yeast

Og 1.076

Fg 1.017

Ferment at about 62-64

ABV 7.78%

Compared to my original, I think the added oats with give me the body with no need for the flaked barley. The Carafa III and added Roasted Barley eliminates the desire for Black Patent.

I cut down the smoke a little bit, but I think this might be enough to stand up to all the roast and darker flavors.

Oh well... brewing on Sunday. Iím excited to do my first all-grain.
1/21/2013 9:27:49 AM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add