Smokehouse/Barley’s Database Updates

Reads 630 • Replies 9 • Started Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:18:21 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

phaleslu
admin
beers 16533 º places 792 º 16:18 Thu 2/19/2015

Hey Columbus RateBeerians,

Dogbrick and I finally got around to addressing the issue of Barley’s and Smokehouse operating as separate entities. Here are the updates you’ll notice:

1. A new listing for Smokehouse Brewing Company has been created here: http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/smokehouse-brewing-company/22203/

2. There are four Smokehouse-only beers since Smokehouse spun off into its new brand in April 2014: Cloistered Shadow, Death Trapp, Pomme Tart Apple Saison, and the new version of Red Molly (releasing in the next couple weeks). These are under the Smokehouse listing.

3. Barley’s and Smokehouse didn’t make it easy from a database standpoint except for one thing: beers that were ’born’ of one brand or the other are listed on the Timeline page for each brewery: http://www.smokehousebrewing.com/beer_timeline and http://www.barleysbrewing.com/ale/timeline.html - Therefore, any beers that are on the Smokehouse timeline (and were devised as Smokehouse-branded beers) have entries under the Smokehouse beer listing; the existing Barley’s entries have been aliased to these.

4. Beers that are under the Barley’s timeline (and are therefore devised as Barley’s-branded beers) but that have also been served at Smokehouse remain under the Barley’s beer listing. Even if these are brewed at Smokehouse, they’re aliased over to the original entries under Barley’s because they’re the same recipes.

5. Beers under the Barley’s timeline that aren’t also on Smokehouse’s timeline (or menu) have been left alone.

6. I have worked my way through the Smokehouse timeline through the end of 2009 (Auric Golden Ale on the timeline). I will get to the rest over the next few days so if you see something wrong *right now* I probably just haven’t gotten to it yet. Their websites have a wealth of information so I’m also updating entries to be as detailed as possible, including descriptions, names, ABV, IBUs, and seasonality.

7. So far there have been no ratings lost to these changes, and I don’t anticipate any (unless I find some clean-up that needs to be done within the existing Barley’s database), as this is just a matter of moving beers from one place to another, not merging entries.

This "fix" has been a long time coming and will result in more clarity within the database about how these two entities interact with one another. Moving forward, Dogbrick and I will be doing our best to manage new entries under each listing as each entity rolls out new releases, but please get in touch with one of us if you see something that needs to be edited, moved, aliased, or whatever.

Cheers,
Peter

phaleslu
admin
beers 16533 º places 792 º 16:19 Thu 2/19/2015

Oh, I almost forgot - if you have a problem with any of this, please send feedback in the form of a burning bag of dog shit to the front porch of thebaldwizard, Lancaster, OH.

thebaldwizard
beers 1210 º places 7 º 17:00 Thu 2/19/2015

What the fuck are you talking about? No one gives a shit about this stuff except for adding who have nothing to do with the rest of their life.

Iso: original recipe of Alexanders Russian imperial stout.

thebaldwizard
beers 1210 º places 7 º 17:01 Thu 2/19/2015

Making "adding" admins...

phaleslu
admin
beers 16533 º places 792 º 18:57 Thu 2/19/2015

Couldn’t stick the landing there. Get a clue.

thebaldwizard
beers 1210 º places 7 º 18:58 Thu 2/19/2015

I love you so much. So glad you didn’t take that huge bald guys mead.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16533 º places 792 º 19:00 Thu 2/19/2015

That’s it. I’m just gonna show up at your house at an odd hour this weekend, wasted. And you’re gonna have to deal with it.

michcam8
beers 593 º places 34 º 19:16 Thu 2/19/2015

Originally posted by phaleslu
Oh, I almost forgot - if you have a problem with any of this, please send feedback in the form of a burning bag of dog shit to the front porch of thebaldwizard, Lancaster, OH.

Consider it done

thebaldwizard
beers 1210 º places 7 º 19:55 Thu 2/19/2015

In Lancaster, Ohio, someone shows up at my house like that every weekend. Just so you know, I’m packing heat.

michcam8
beers 593 º places 34 º 20:15 Thu 2/19/2015

im packing turds