Spain, Andalucia

Reads 2794 • Replies 27 • Started Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:19:15 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 06:19 Wed 3/21/2012

I will (probably) go for pre-summer holidays in that area, South of Spain.
On the list: Malaga, Grenada, Sevilla, Gibraltar, Jerez, Faro.
I will of course check the (few) beerplaces listed here, and do the homework with the classic guidebooks.

If you have been there and you have any suggestion, that would help a lot; we are still in the planning phase!
Not necessarily beer-oriented, thou; could be anything:
sightseeing (ok, any guide book already lists Alhambra, so that is not necessary to mention)
food (besides ham and tapas)
entertainment
best wines of the region
whatever impressed you

cheers!

levifunk
beers 12 º 06:38 Wed 3/21/2012

I lived in Spain for a semester of college. This was before I was into beer, but I remember really liking Alhambra’s lager. That could have been just because I was use to only drinking Cruzcampo...which was never good, but you grow to love it.

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 06:40 Wed 3/21/2012

Originally posted by levifunk
I lived in Spain for a semester of college. This was before I was into beer, but I remember really liking Alhambra’s lager. That could have been just because I was use to only drinking Cruzcampo...which was never good, but you grow to love it.

In which area of Spain?

levifunk
beers 12 º 06:48 Wed 3/21/2012

Sevilla

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 11:11 Wed 3/21/2012

Originally posted by levifunk
Sevilla

Which is probably the most lively place, right?
What are the best spots for nightlife?

billk
beers 353 º places 60 º 11:40 Wed 3/21/2012

When in Spain, seek wine, olives, cheese, crusty bread, & dry cured pork (hams & salami).

Sigmund
beers 13288 º places 446 º 11:53 Wed 3/21/2012

Originally posted by billk
When in Spain, seek wine, olives, cheese, crusty bread, & dry cured pork (hams & salami).

When in Spain, you don’t have to seek them. They are everywhere!
Good beer, on the other hand, is something you really have to seek for. And that’s what fiulijn asked about!

(Sorry, I don’t have any first hand experience with Andalucia in particular. But it seems like in Spain, as in most other European countries, new brewpubs and beer bars are popping up in the most unexpected places. So fiulijn may well have some important research work in Andalucia ahead.)

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 12:00 Wed 3/21/2012

levifunk
beers 12 º 12:32 Wed 3/21/2012

I would HIGHLY recommend going to "La Carboneria" if you go to Sevilla. Its pretty hard to find, but worth the effort. When there, order "Agua de Sevilla".

billk
beers 353 º places 60 º 16:38 Wed 3/21/2012

Originally posted by Sigmund

For the sake of harmony here I shall refrain from further comment, but I can tell you the desire to speak freely is great.

teddybeer
beers 5767 º places 208 º 17:20 Wed 3/21/2012

Hi Alex

I’ve been working in Seville for 7 years...., so:

BEER:
I recommend drink in Seville:
- Cruzcampo Gran Reserva
- Microbrewery La Fabrica (I don’t know if it is open...)
... in Granada
- Alhambra 1925
- Alhambra Negra
... in Cordoba (I don’t know if you are going to visit this city)
- Alhambra Mezquita
... in Málaga
- Cerveza Victoria
- San Miguel Nostrum
- San Miguel Selecta

Also in the area of Cadiz and Gibraltar you can find a new beer called Kettal.

FOOD:
...in Sevilla
- a place in front of Guadalquivir River called "La Primera del puente". This place is highly recommended for its good prices and a good food (fishes, seafood,...)
...in Granada
- You have to take tapas at the center of the city, at the BibRambla Square and sourrounding streets

BEST WINES:
- No doubt..., you maus visit any cellar in Jerez de la Frontera. Pedro Domecq cellar is very nice and you can enjoy with its wines ("Fino" and "Manzanilla" style)
- Another area is called Montilla-Moriles but this area is located at the province of Cordoba

In Faro (Portugal) you can taste Portuguese beers, it will not very difficult to find Sagres and SuperBock but if you go to a big supermarket (perhaps El Corte Ingles) you could find many Portuguese beers. In this city is really delicious to eat fish or cod. In general, you can eat cod in all Portugal cooked of different ways.

I you have some doubt, don’t hesitate to contact me again via this forum or Ratebeer e-mail....