RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Spain, Gibraltar, Morocco

read 1052 times • 14 replies • posted 8/25/2012 7:53:14 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
Walt 2449:189
Late in October, weíll be going to Barcelona for a few days, then Gibraltar, then an overnight train to Marrakech for a day or so then on to Casablanca...

Spain I see places, but I seen a whole bunch of nothing for Gibraltar and Morocco. This isnít really a beer trip, but what are some cool things to see/do/drink on the route?
Private message Send the author a private message

Gazza 726:163
Gibraltar is a total shit-hole, all youíll see are industrial crappy British processed beers unless a lot has changed! Basically, itís a rock inhabited by half-wits who want to be "British" but donít want to pay the taxes.
8/25/2012 7:57:22 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Originally posted by Gazza
Gibraltar is a total shit-hole, all youíll see are industrial crappy British processed beers unless a lot has changed! Basically, itís a rock inhabited by half-wits who want to be "British" but donít want to pay the taxes.

Any cool food or sights? Can I kick the monkeys?

Iím also up for lodging suggestions there.
8/25/2012 8:32:38 AM

premium
legion242 2099:113
I think Gibraltar as an airport that has itís main runway bisected by a major road. Anytime a plane is coming in to land, they close the road like we would here in the states for a train.
I think that would be cool to see.
8/25/2012 9:11:04 AM

premium
8/25/2012 9:20:32 AM

premium
8/25/2012 9:40:55 AM

premium
Kicking monkeys would be fun, wouldnít it?
8/25/2012 9:41:35 AM

Gazza 726:163
You can try and kick íem, but they have big teeth and are pretty bolshy. Iíd not risk it unless you want rabies.
8/25/2012 10:54:10 AM

premium
shrubber85 6978:204
Driving across the runway is very cool. I wouldnít mess with the the monkeys - they are vindictive bastards. And yeah, no decent beer to speak of - but you can get stale bags of Walkers crisps. Morocco - get your tick and just enjoy the scenery.
8/25/2012 2:50:34 PM

premium
The more I think about it, Iím thinking about losing the Gibraltar part...it just seems to make things complicated. hard to get to, expensive to get to, etc.
8/25/2012 2:55:51 PM

premium
fiulijn 13533:500
I was in Morocco last year and Gibraltar this year.
I didnít do much homework, but basically I think there is nothing there.
I didnít even try chasing the moroccan macro crap ticks.

There is a brewpub some half hour away from Gibraltar but you probably need a car and the beer is not that exciting (Kettal).
If you can stop in MŠlaga, then I have something for you.

FOOD
In Morocco of course you have different kinds of tajines, and the pastilla.
My impression is that most "restaurants" have low quality food (to date my traditional "green olives and preserved lemons chicken tajine" is still better than the thousand I got in Morocco); so be very careful when you choose a restaurant.
I also have been quite satisfied with some low-key for-locals fish restaurant; in Casablanca at least, I know you can choose a fish at the fish market and have somebody grill it for you
8/25/2012 4:20:41 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers