RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Sparkling Cherry Cyser

read 1335 times • 8 replies • posted 2/8/2013 8:32:47 AM

Thread Frozen

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
So, as a rule, I hate cloning things. But, I am going to make an exception here in the next couple of weeks (whenever my honey gets here) and do a Zombie Killer Clone. Hereís what Iím looking at:

4gal apple juice
3lbs starthistle honey
.5gal Montmorency or other tart cherry juice
top with water to 1.075 gravity.

Will ferment that, likely with wyeast sweet mead. will shoot to arrest fermentation about 1.018/1.020 by cold crashing and sulfite addition. Then will keg and carb. If necessary, will backsweeten with some honey or sweet tupelo mead that I have sitting around (not ideal).

Anyone else every try doing something like this?
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
No, but it sounds good. You could back-sweeten with aspartame or similar and potentially skip the sulfite. Lindemanís does this.
2/9/2013 10:42:07 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Originally posted by bitbucket
No, but it sounds good. You could back-sweeten with aspartame or similar and potentially skip the sulfite. Lindemanís does this.

I refuse to use artificial sweeteners, mostly because I think they taste awful. I donít know anyone with a sulfite allergy so Iíd rather use them. To me, sweetening a mead with with anything artificial seems fundamentally wrong. I feel the same way about beer as well.
2/10/2013 7:57:52 AM

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by bitbucket

I refuse to use artificial sweeteners, mostly because I think they taste awful. I donít know anyone with a sulfite allergy so Iíd rather use them. To me, sweetening a mead with with anything artificial seems fundamentally wrong. I feel the same way about beer as well.

Thatís fine, Iím just throwing it out there.
I think most of the artificialness gets hidden in a lambic, maybe not so much here.
2/10/2013 10:01:59 AM

premium
Well, I wound up making this. Used 4 gallons of Trader Joeís unfiltered apple juice, 3qts of tart cherry juice and 5lbs of Starthistle honey. Came in at 1.080. Added Pectic Enzyme to help with clarification and also used Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast. Built a starter with a half gallon of mead must using 1# of orange blossom honey and water. Itís definitely fermenting at this point so Iím excited to see how it goes.
2/13/2013 10:43:06 AM

premium
pepsican 1440:46
ISO
2/13/2013 10:44:37 AM

Jamesthebrit 236:14
Sounds like a pretty solid recipe. In my experience stopping the fermentation early with sulfur has worked well and lets the wine have a nice sweetness too it.

Oh and using cherry juice is also a solid idea. I used cherries a few times and without pitting them first the tannins were through the roof.

So, as a rule, I hate cloning things. But, I am going to make an exception here in the next couple of weeks (whenever my honey gets here) and do a Zombie Killer Clone. Hereís what Iím looking at:

4gal apple juice
3lbs starthistle honey

Will ferment that, likely with wyeast sweet mead. will shoot to arrest fermentation about 1.018/1.020 by cold crashing and sulfite addition. Then will keg and carb. If necessary, will backsweeten with some honey or sweet tupelo mead that I have sitting around (not ideal).

2/18/2013 3:20:15 PM

premium
Originally posted by Jamesthebrit
Sounds like a pretty solid recipe. In my experience stopping the fermentation early with sulfur has worked well and lets the wine have a nice sweetness too it.

Oh and using cherry juice is also a solid idea. I used cherries a few times and without pitting them first the tannins were through the roof.

4gal apple juice
3lbs starthistle honey

The bigger issue with the pits is the almond/marzipan taste with too long of exposure. Iím going to cold crash and add sorbate and sulfite. That should slow it down. Talked with Curt Stock about it and it shouldnít be too huge an issue once I carb it up.
2/18/2013 7:12:58 PM

Unclerudy 12:3
When I made my last batch of cherry cyser, I went with it being still. Here was my recipe...

15 pounds Orange Blossom Honey
5 gallons apple juice
1 pound buckwheat honey
1 quart tart cherry juice concentrate
1 quart wild flower honey to backsweeten

The buckwheat comes out as if it is a barrel character, without having to wood age it. And 1 pound was more than enough for 6 gallons of mead.
2/18/2013 7:54:16 PM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add