Spontaneous Fermentation

Reads 1967 • Replies 16 • Started Friday, May 16, 2014 7:40:17 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

ekstedt
beers 8338 º places 428 º 00:38 Thu 6/5/2014

Originally posted by errantnight
Originally posted by ekstedt
My project wich I wrote about in the previous thread ended up with a strange result.

It started fermenting nicely, but when I did a tasting after 4 months, there was no acidity, and no funk neither. Just a pretty clean-tasting beer. Appearantly I have been cultivating my local Saccaromyces strain(s).

I’m not sure what a single tasting at 4 months would tell you about the long term prospects for funk (brettanomyces is the very last actor on a spontaneously fermented beer, as I understand it) or acidity (lacto/pedio aren’t exactly early to the party, either).

There should at least be some acidity.

Lacto is very fast by the way, but plays a very minor role - if any - in lambic fermentation.

HornyDevil
03:31 Thu 6/5/2014

I’m not sure what a single tasting at 4 months would tell you about the long term prospects for funk (brettanomyces is the very last actor on a spontaneously fermented beer, as I understand it)

Pitched at the same time or in the absence of Saccharomyces, Brett will certainly be active in a short period of time. When you pitch it after all the simple sugars are gone, that’s another story.

Originally posted by errantnightor acidity (lacto/pedio aren’t exactly early to the party, either).

If all microbes are pitched at the same time, lacto will certainly sour the beer first. Within a couple days, actually.

errantnight
11:11 Thu 6/5/2014

Originally posted by HornyDevil
I’m not sure what a single tasting at 4 months would tell you about the long term prospects for funk (brettanomyces is the very last actor on a spontaneously fermented beer, as I understand it)

Pitched at the same time or in the absence of Saccharomyces, Brett will certainly be active in a short period of time. When you pitch it after all the simple sugars are gone, that’s another story.

Originally posted by errantnightor acidity (lacto/pedio aren’t exactly early to the party, either).

If all microbes are pitched at the same time, lacto will certainly sour the beer first. Within a couple days, actually.

Thanks for the corrections.

cheap
beers 8841 º places 327 º 14:15 Thu 6/5/2014

Spontaneous Fermentation by HornyDevil. I want to taste this.

HornyDevil
14:56 Thu 6/5/2014

Originally posted by cheap
Spontaneous Fermentation by HornyDevil. I want to taste this.

If you’d stop making excuses and make it to one of the tastings you might get to do just that.

HornyDevil
10:55 Fri 6/6/2014

Originally posted by HornyDevil

Thanks for the corrections.

Was thinking about this and there is an addendum to it. Lacto will sour the beer first IF, and only if, the IBUs are low enough or if it is a more IBU tolerant strain of lacto.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer