Spontanious German Invasion

Reads 2891 • Replies 20 • Started Monday, March 17, 2014 4:07:39 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 10:19 Wed 3/19/2014

Originally posted by digita7693
I did for about 13months, to Portlandia... Loved every second there!
But a social system, real vacation and great job offers for my wife and myself dragged us back:)
...love my precious Niederlassungserlaubnis ;)

Woah -- that was fast! 13 months?

So, did you have an unbefristete Aufenthaltsgenehmigung before, and if so, did that expire, requiring you to start over again? Details!

digita7693
beers 1 º places 7 º 13:53 Wed 3/19/2014

my visa was still valid, but now I have the golden ticket;)
I essentially took a sabbatical, and worked in the US some, ie drank beer and played ultimate frisbee in PDX and worked with New Avenues for Youth, while my wife did research:)
Back in Kassel for now, but a new German city might be in the cards...

McWorta
beers 1632 º places 156 º 11:05 Fri 4/4/2014

Agree to köln being a bit steep, to make the tour around berlin, munich, bamberg, köln and hamburg that be a soild round trip offering you different cultures and different beers...!

BlackHaddock
beers 15444 º places 1051 º 10:06 Wed 4/23/2014

German railways do day tickets that cover whole states and others that allow you to visit the next state too. http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/prices/germany/regional-offers-overview.shtml

I love Cochem on the Mosel, not beery but very pretty, as is all that stretch of the river (it’s not a cheap area to stay though).

<*))))))><

pivnizub
beers 12929 º places 633 º 11:42 Mon 4/28/2014

If Your itinerary depends on the quality of local beers, there are just two reasonable destinations in Deutschland… Bamberg, but without the villages around, and Düsseldorf! In Duesseldorf are by far not so many tourist attractions as in Colonia, but the local Alt in the traditional brew-houses is the best Bier You can get in Germany outside of Franconia!!!

jkelly
12:20 Sun 6/1/2014

Lots of stuff going on in Berlin with craft brewing at the moment. Worth a day or two since you will be going through there anyway.

nuplastikk
beers 9840 º places 73 º 19:19 Sun 6/1/2014

Dusseldorf is a lot funner of a beer destination than Koln, in my opinion. You should really hit up both.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 00:02 Mon 6/2/2014

Originally posted by jkelly
Lots of stuff going on in Berlin with craft brewing at the moment. Worth a day or two since you will be going through there anyway.

If the OP is interested in German brewers playing catch-up with American brewing trends of 10-20 years ago, then yes, the "craft" beer in Berlin will be of interest. If it’s about traditional German beer, then Berlin has.....?

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 07:52 Mon 6/2/2014

Side note: Every time this thread’s title resurfaces in the topic list, my first instinct as one living in the Dreiländereck, at the Western fringes of the pacified empire, is to warn the neighbours...Certainly this effect was intended by the OP.

The topic’s ambiguity could also have served to describe much-welcomed evolutions at this weekend’s Kölner Festival der Bierkulturen, where all kinds of "spontaneous", sour, salty and wild fermentations invaded the purity of traditions from the Western and Eastern fringes, as well as from deep within their own forgotten history...

If things are finally starting to move in the DE scene, a plea could be made that the Kölner Festival der Bierkulturen, even more so than Braukunst Live or Berlin’s expat US scene, is at the vanguard of the evolving German curiosity in beer styles, expanding in the years to come...

jkelly
10:46 Sat 6/14/2014

Originally posted by Erlangernick
If the OP is interested in German brewers playing catch-up with American brewing trends of 10-20 years ago, then yes, the "craft" beer in Berlin will be of interest. If it’s about traditional German beer, then Berlin has.....?

Some of us like to get a picture of where a beer scene is at the moment, regardless of where it is relative to the US, instead of just treating such a trip as if it were a trip to a museum.

After all, if one is after museums, they could find some in Berlin as well. :)

At any rate, just a suggestion, no need to be so indignant about it.