RateBeer

Star San

read 1489 times • 24 replies •

Thread Frozen
 
Cobra
beers 1100 º places 24 º 15:16 Wed 8/8/2012

Star-San works great for cleaning filthy toilets too.
I had to use in it one of my rental properties once.
Fantastic stuff.

 
MrFacto
17:51 Wed 8/8/2012

I love chlorinated caustic for the bathroom!

 
bitbucket
beers 2160 º places 63 º 20:46 Thu 8/9/2012

Originally posted by Cobra
Star-San works great for cleaning filthy toilets too.
I had to use in it one of my rental properties once.
Fantastic stuff.

Iíve been told that itís good at removing magic marker.

 
TheBeerSommelier
premium
21:25 Thu 8/9/2012

Originally posted by bitbucket
Originally posted by Cobra
Star-San works great for cleaning filthy toilets too.
I had to use in it one of my rental properties once.
Fantastic stuff.

Iíve been told that itís good at removing magic marker.


Along these lines, I use it to remove the silver-sharpied vintage years on my bottles, when prepping them for homebrewing.

 
mtoast
beers 336 º places 13 º 01:23 Fri 8/10/2012

Originally posted by oteyj
What about PBW on bacon greased pans?

Works well on that, as well as scorched pots and cleaning all manners of smokable pipes.

 
SamGamgee
premium
beers 2452 º places 182 º 15:44 Fri 8/10/2012

Ethanol sanitizing solution is great for when you accidentally write on a white board in permanent marker.

Good on public toilet seats as well.

 
TheBeerSommelier
premium
08:07 Sun 8/12/2012


Iíve got a new use - jam jars!

I made peach jam for the first time today. Instead of boiling the jars (seems pretty antiquated and is fairly laborious), I sprayed them all down and let them sit - along with all the lids, ladle, funnel, etc., just as youíd do with brewing equipment.

Easy peasy!

 
Danko
premium
admin
08:14 Sun 8/12/2012

Any thoughts on why anyone, if this is the case, prefer Star-san to jodophor when it comes to the final sanitation of Cornelius kegs and bottles?

Iíve been sticking to jodophor for years and havenít had any problems with it, it runs off and dissipates without causing any issues.

What about the foaming of the Star-san, for instance?

 
TheBeerSommelier
premium
08:16 Sun 8/12/2012

Originally posted by Danko
Iíve been sticking to jodophor for years and havenít had any problems with it, it runs off and dissipates without causing any issues


Then, for heavenís sake, why switch?

 
SamGamgee
premium
beers 2452 º places 182 º 08:23 Sun 8/12/2012

Originally posted by Danko
Any thoughts on why anyone, if this is the case, prefer Star-san to jodophor when it comes to the final sanitation of Cornelius kegs and bottles?

Iíve been sticking to jodophor for years and havenít had any problems with it, it runs off and dissipates without causing any issues.

What about the foaming of the Star-san, for instance?


Iíve heard that Star San can last longer, (particularly if made up with distilled/RO water) but the problem that I have with it is there is no way to know if itís still good other than testing the pH. With iodine solutions (we use Zep-I-Dine) you just have to look at the color to see if itís still good. Super easy. And like you said, itís foams less, though still some, which isnít necessarily a bad thing if you use i for scrubbing.

One downside of iodine is that it stains plastic. But regardless, we use it all the time in the brewery for various sanitation applications. I still have a bottle of starsan at home but I canít see buying more when it runs out. The foam can definitely be annoying in carboys at least.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer