Start The Future! (60%)

Reads 7136 • Replies 11 • Started Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:04:35 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Rciesla
beers 5497 º places 3 º 00:04 Thu 2/3/2011

Haha almost fell out of my chair when i saw this, a 60% beer. I suppose there was still more history to be told as we journey into the gray area of what is beer.

Heres is the link if you want to read up.
http://www.blippitt.com/start-the-future-new-strongest-beer-in-the-world

Otherwise heres what it says:
"The race continues for the title of Strongest Beer in the World.

You see it was just last month that the BrewDog brewery released The End of History beer, which, at the time, was the world’s strongest beer, clocking in at 55 percent alcohol.

Now, Dutch brewery ‘t Koelschip has created an amazing 60 percent beer called Start the Future. It also beats End of History in terms of price. This new beer costs just €35 ($46 U.S.), as opposed to BrewDog’s £500 ($764 U.S.) bottle.

Start the Future, however, does not come served in dead squirrel, but beggars can’t be choosers."

17thfloor
beers 2444 º places 19 º 00:26 Thu 2/3/2011

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/55-abv-brewdog-the-end-of-history_146837_20.htm

It’s not beer. It’s a mixture with a distillate.

Countbeer
beers 6586 º places 259 º 00:37 Thu 2/3/2011

Recently we had a discussion here in the Dutch section about this brewers 45% Obilix. Apparently he just added whiskey to one of his beers and created the Obilix. I am not amazed if he did this again... It’s not easy to beat Brewdog with this, lol.

Rciesla
beers 5497 º places 3 º 00:52 Thu 2/3/2011

Originally posted by Countbeer
Recently we had a discussion here in the Dutch section about this brewers 45% Obilix. Apparently he just added whiskey to one of his beers and created the Obilix. I am not amazed if he did this again... It’s not easy to beat Brewdog with this, lol.

Nice, i used a translator to try and understand the discussion but i’m not sure if i really got it all.
But yeah if this is distillate + beer its not beer.

Plus given this article is form months ago i figured this had already been explored, just missed that it was at the end of the End of History thread.

Mikkeller
places 1 º 02:19 Thu 2/3/2011

Originally posted by Rciesla

Nice, i used a translator to try and understand the discussion but i’m not sure if i really got it all.

Plus given this article is form months ago i figured this had already been explored, just missed that it was at the end of the End of History thread.

What would be interesting to know is which whisky (at which abv) did he add to which beer (at which abv)?
I mean - it takes a hell of a lot of really strong (+60% abv) whisky to get a beer to 60% abv......

bierkoning
beers 20217 º places 431 º 02:26 Thu 2/3/2011

Originally posted by Mikkeller

What would be interesting to know is which whisky (at which abv) did he add to which beer (at which abv)?
I mean - it takes a hell of a lot of really strong (+60% abv) whisky to get a beer to 60% abv......

AFAIK Start the Future is a self destilled whisky (you can go as far as 90+ vol% if you destill it multiple times, but I don’t know if you can call it whisky then) with a bit of his 13% beer.

phredrik
beers 1024 º places 31 º 03:23 Thu 2/3/2011

oh, it’s this thread again

Rciesla
beers 5497 º places 3 º 03:50 Thu 2/3/2011

Originally posted by phredrik
oh, it’s this thread again

Yup missed the old one, my bad.

Mikkeller
places 1 º 04:00 Thu 2/3/2011

Originally posted by bierkoning

AFAIK Start the Future is a self destilled whisky (you can go as far as 90+ vol% if you destill it multiple times, but I don’t know if you can call it whisky then) with a bit of his 13% beer.

Was it aged a certain period in barrels? Otherwise no, you cannot call it whisky..

With 90% and 13% it’s less than 50% beer which makes it even less a beer than it is allready..

Cheers,
Mikkel

bierkoning
beers 20217 º places 431 º 04:07 Thu 2/3/2011

Originally posted by bierkoning

Was it aged a certain period in barrels? Otherwise no, you cannot call it whisky..

With 90% and 13% it’s less than 50% beer which makes it even less a beer than it is allready..

Cheers,
Mikkel

agreed! And that justifies it is NOT in the RB database

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:21 Thu 2/3/2011

Even if it is aged in oak casks, it has been too far distilled and cannot carry the appellation of whiskey/whisky. There are limits on the purity of the alcohol because as it gets further refined, it loses the grist character. It’s just rocket fuel/raki/vodka/whatever you want to call it that isn’t whisk(e)y.