RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Staying in downtown LA for 4 days- what breweries are close?

read 349 times • 8 replies • posted 8/19/2012 12:24:58 PM

Thread Frozen

premium
LinusStick 2869:50
Iím going to allow one day for beer travel. What breweries are a must go to that are within a few hours of downtown LA? Keep in mind that I am from the east so any of the big west coast brewers that arenít available here are ideal (Pizza Port, Alesmith, Stone, Lost Abbey etc). I know these are all in other cities but what would be feasible? Anything that is reachable by public transportation is a plus
Private message Send the author a private message

cquiroga 371:11
"Within a few hours"? All of the above.

From Downtown LA, assuming no or "light" traffic. . .

Beachwood BBQ & Brewing (Long Beach) - ~30 minutes
Pizza Port-San Clemente - 1 hour, 15 minutes
Pizza Port-Carlsbad - 1 hour, 30 minutes
Lost Abbey - 1 hour, 45 minutes
Pizza Port-Solana Beach - 1 hour, 45 minutes
AleSmith - 1 hour, 45 minutes
Pizza Port-Ocean Beach - 2 hours, 10 minutes

Virtually all other places in the greater San Diego, LA, and OC areas (including inland empire/San Bernardino/Riverside, etc.), would also be "within a few hours," and most within 1 to 2 hours.

Even Alpine, which is just about the farthest place that you would "reasonably" want to trek, would be reachable within about 2 hours and 45 minutes from Downtown LA.

Also lots of other good places like The Bruery, TAPS in La Brea and/or Corona, Newport Beach Brewing Company, Tustin Brewing Company-- not to mention many dozens of really good bottle shops and beer bars-- are significantly closer than any of the San Diego spots... like, within 15-45 minutes from Downtown LA, for the most part. A couple of good spots within 10 minutes of Downtown.
8/19/2012 12:45:48 PM

Private message send the author a private message

All of that was assuming you were driving a car. If you want to do public transit and a very good spot in a reasonable amount of time, you can take the Blue Line train from LA down to Long Beach in about an hour, which takes you but a few blocks away from Beachwood BBQ & Brewing. All of the other breweries I mentioned are going to be a major pain in the ass to get to via public transit, to the point that you would spend literally an entire day of 5-6+ hours (or more like 10+ hours, for the San Diego spots) just getting there and back.
8/19/2012 12:48:12 PM

premium
LinusStick 2869:50
Originally posted by cquiroga
All of that was assuming you were driving a car. If you want to do public transit and a very good spot in a reasonable amount of time, you can take the Blue Line train from LA down to Long Beach in about an hour, which takes you but a few blocks away from Beachwood BBQ & Brewing. All of the other breweries I mentioned are going to be a major pain in the ass to get to via public transit, to the point that you would spend literally an entire day of 5-6+ hours (or more like 10+ hours, for the San Diego spots) just getting there and back.

Thanks! And yes I would have a car. So would the breweries you mentioned that are 1:30-1:45 away all close to each other that I could visit a few after driving all that way? I know I could look it up easily but Iím being lazy today. Also I know my girl wants to take a day and visit the San Diego zoo. Anything close to that? Thanks!
8/19/2012 2:16:50 PM

miketd 125
The only thing I want to add is that if you plan to drive from Downtown LA to places in Orange and SD county(and back), be wary of peak traffic times. I probably donít have to mention this, but LA and vicinity traffic can be terrible on the best day.
8/19/2012 2:42:32 PM

peteinSD 1377:57
if possible, tweak your itinerary to include a day/evening in san diego (perhaps en route to the zoo). SoCal traffic is no joke.
8/19/2012 2:49:01 PM

Originally posted by LinusStick
Originally posted by cquiroga

Thanks! And yes I would have a car. So would the breweries you mentioned that are 1:30-1:45 away all close to each other that I could visit a few after driving all that way? I know I could look it up easily but Iím being lazy today. Also I know my girl wants to take a day and visit the San Diego zoo. Anything close to that? Thanks!

Yeah, thereís a very nice route you could put together to hit several spots over the course of a full day. From Downtown LA, Iíd probably start the day with lunch at Beachwood BBQ & Brewing right when they open at 11:30 AM (which would be a breeze as far as traffic goes-- completely missing the morning rush, regardless of the day of the week), then you could very easily hit up Pizza Port-San Clemente about 45 minutes or so from Beachwood, and then Pizza Port-Carlsbad about 30 minutes farther south, then either cut due East to visit Lost Abbey in northern San Diego county (and donít sleep on Stone World Bistro while youíre in that area-- only about 10 minutes from Lost Abbey, and their facilities are simply stunning), or head south to make sort of an "extended loop" that could include Pizza Port-Solana Beach (about 20 minutes south of Carlsbad), and even places like AleSmith and/or Green Flash and/or Ballast Point as you cut across Eastbound, then make your way up North and hit Lost Abbey (and Stone) while youíre heading back Westbound on your way up toward Los Angeles.

I would definitely try to coordinate my day so that I spent the "rush hour" period (about 4-6:30 PM during weekdays, or running a little bit longer on both ends on a Friday evening) taking an opportunity to visit like two spots that are not very far apart and donít require a ton of freeway time-- for instance, AleSmith, Green Flash, and Ballast Point are all pretty close to one another, or Stone and Lost Abbey (and even Mother Earth and Pizza Port-Carlsbad peppering the 78 freeway in Northern SD county)....
8/20/2012 9:36:08 AM

Oh, and as for the San Diego Zoo... Well... Thatís really far south, to the point where youíll be scrolling past a lot of the great spots that are a lot closer to Downtown LA just so you can get all the way to the zoo. But there are also some fantastic spots very nearby down in that neck of the woods, including the entire 30th Street/North Park corridor (and vicinity) of basically all of the best beer bars in SoCal (Toronado-SD, Hamiltonís, Tiger! Tiger!, Ritual Tavern, Blind Lady Alehouse, Small Bar, etc.), as well as places like Downtown Johnny Brownís and Monkey Paw (brewpub), which are very close on the other side.

And when youíre farther down south in that area, you could also head over toward the coast to visit Pizza Port-Ocean Beach (arguably the best Pizza Port going, at the moment), and even very reasonably include visits to some really good, lesser-seen places like Eleven (bar) and Societe Brewing, or even venture out the 30-45-minute trek inland to Alpine Brewing Company, if you so desire. There are a shitload of options.

In general, as an LA guy, I typically cut my SD trips short with the North County stuff, because there are simply some of the very best places up there (PP-Carlsbad, Lost Abbey, and Stone), and also because it dramatically cuts the round-trip travel time, as well as reduces the risk that Iíll get sucked into the dreaded vortex of SoCal traffic at some point on one stretch of my lengthy freeway travels. But I do love it when I can take the rare pleasure in visiting Toronado-SD, PP-Ocean Beach, Ritual Tavern, AleSmith, and Hamiltonís in particular.
8/20/2012 9:48:03 AM

502Che 999:47
Skid row
8/20/2012 11:02:38 AM

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ