RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Stores "cellaring" hard to find beer

read 3025 times • 49 replies • posted 5/6/2012 11:06:19 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

premium
jmagnus87 2427:85
Shoot the brewer an email. One of the only two stores in my town that got founders cbs took the whole case and sold it online only at double the price. Someone told founders about it and they told the distributor that that store was no longer allowed to carry any of their proudcts
5/6/2012 5:35:44 PM

Private message send the author a private message

ChiTownPackFan 1
Originally posted by jmagnus87
Shoot the brewer an email. One of the only two stores in my town that got founders cbs took the whole case and sold it online only at double the price. Someone told founders about it and they told the distributor that that store was no longer allowed to carry any of their proudcts

I love hearing that.
5/6/2012 5:43:42 PM

eachnotesecure 66:
I donít know, I had some 2005 Celebration from a cellared keg recently and it was worth the 10$ for a pour
5/6/2012 7:25:33 PM

TheWhiteWolf 3:
Originally posted by eachnotesecure
I donít know, I had some 2005 Celebration from a cellared keg recently and it was worth the 10$ for a pour

Cellared kegs are almost always a hit but bottles..meh
5/6/2012 7:40:54 PM

Brewchacho4 71:5
Thereís a local bottle shop here in Vancouver called By The Bottle that has a few select cellared beers for an increased price. I didnít put the word "cellared" into quotations because they actually have a legitimate cellar. As far as their prices go, theyíre reasonably increased in my opinion for the duration some of them have been aged. For example, they have a 2007 Abyss going for somewhere around $27. The only catch is, you have to drink it there. Iíd prefer to take it home and enjoy it at my liesure, but honestly, Iíll pay a little bit more to enjoy a beer thatís been properly cellared anywhere!
For those places that are intentionally holding onto beer only to gauge the price up on unsuspecting customers, I do think thatís wrong. BTB is a little different because itís a small, locally owned business and I know the owners/trust their business practices a little more than most places. Just my two cents
5/7/2012 9:45:16 AM

brewtopian 2:
Iím of two minds on this issue. I love the idea of being able to get my hands on a beer that is no longer commercially available but hate the idea of limited release beers being hoarded just so they can break them out later at a higher price. That said, if a retailer or pub wants to endure the cost of inventory on these items then thatís their right. I think the question is, whatís a fair price? Iíve had this conversation with a couple places here locally and the rule of thumb that they use is 10% per year.

As for a $27 of 2007 Abyss, that seems pretty high. If I recall correctly Abyss was retailing for less than $10 a bottle in 2007 so using the 10% rule it should only be about $15 now. Now if this is a restaurant/pub then $27 might be plausible but still high.
5/7/2012 10:50:19 AM

SphinxTX 2876:41
The idea of cellaring does seem like a good idea at first for a beer store but honestly, it all comes down to demand and making the customers happy. I once considered it doing it but in regards to a limited release item, we just felt like it wasnt a good idea.
5/7/2012 11:00:38 AM

bootsjohn 68:28
Iím all for this. Reason being that selling beer is a business, and business owners have the right to do whatever they want thatís within the law. Since this is legal, itís a store ownerís prerogative.

Regarding cellared kegs, they seem to be a huge hit whenever any bar Iíve been to taps one. Iím all for this, too, especially considering that most individuals donít have the capacity to cellar kegs for future use.

Concerning pricing of aged bottles, where did a 10% rule come from? Pricing is a question of supply and demand. Regardless of what 2007 Abyss originally cost at retail, there is very little of it left today, especially on store shelves. So $27 may seem high, but if people are paying that, itís clearly a fair price given the scarcity of the item. Iím guessing aged bottle prices are far more negotiable given that they are sold at such a high premium. Same goes for wines in restaurant. As a former bartender, I was instructed to allow price reductions of 25% for anyone who asked and 33% for regulars. This was because markup was 300%. Sounds like a ripoff, but it must not be if people keep buying!
5/7/2012 11:26:34 AM

brewtopian 2:
Bootsjohn, the 10% rule was just what I was told by two different places cellaring beer, one a retailer and one a restaurant. I have no idea if that is legitimate or not.
5/7/2012 11:38:05 AM

premium
TimE 3121:247
I think cellaring is a great idea, if done properly and done to beers that arenít uber rare. I think it can open customerís mind the possibility of cellaring beer. Remember very few people actually know that beer can be cellared.

I think a compounded 10% per year seems like a good number to work with. It would be good to see more stores with proper cellars doing this.

Tim
5/7/2012 11:40:04 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback