RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Styles You Donít Like and Ratings

read 1708 times • 36 replies • posted 7/5/2012 7:09:34 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

ContemplateBeer 1507:109
Do you rate beers in styles you donít like? If you do, why? And, do you feel your scores are "fair" when rating this non-desired beers?
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
Lukaduke 2067:58
Of course... palates change, and Im a big propenent on knowing what you hate. That being said I dont necessarily seek them out but if a beer hits my radar and has good reviews and doesnt cost an arm and a leg Ill give it a whirl. Good example was Lagunitas WTF... not a big brown ale fan but the hop presence and complexity of that beer made me second guess my dislike of browns... As for scoring being fair... its all subjective, some of my friends think sours taste rancid and unpleasant... I disagree but dont tell them they are wrong.
7/5/2012 7:24:48 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
GT2 8283:576
If people only rated the styles they liked, this website would be useless
7/5/2012 8:16:40 PM

premium
radarsock 885:48
Originally posted by Ryan82SM
Do you rate beers in styles you donít like? If you do, why? And, do you feel your scores are "fair" when rating this non-desired beers?
Usually when rating Iím biased. I reflect on the specific beer and if its style itís representing a style I donít particularly like; that however will not influence me to give it a good rating. For example, I dislike Brown Ales, most anyway, but I quite enjoyed Bolita Brown. I donít think of it is as a Brown Ale, I think of it as a beer that has surpassed its boring origins and had actually done something interesting. I have the same thinking for that Dogfish brown ale which was matured on some kind of Peruvian wood or something... inventive!
7/5/2012 8:24:39 PM

SPDickerman 920:89
Originally posted by GT2

To be fair, this site has a lot of bias on it anyway. But I do see your point. I try to rate some of everything and I try to be as "fair" as possible.
7/5/2012 11:02:26 PM

premium
Borresteijn 4574:180
Originally posted by SPDickerman
Originally posted by GT2

To be fair, this site has a lot of bias on it anyway. But I do see your point. I try to rate some of everything and I try to be as "fair" as possible.

I think this especially goes for Lambics/sours. I usually donít buy them ícause I donít like them and they are mostly way too expensive, but if one shows up at a tasting/festival, Iíll definitely rate it. Just to un-skew the ratings a bit In all seriousness, I try to be as unbiased as possible, even in styles you donít like there is almost always an example you do like. For me for example Isabelle Proximus (4.4) vs. BelleVue Selection (1.7).
7/6/2012 3:27:08 AM

ContemplateBeer 1507:109
Originally posted by SPDickerman
Originally posted by GT2

Itís a good point; really, what I want to know has more to do with "how do you (personally) handle this situation?"

For instance, do you go on rating Schwarzbier when you hate the style? Do you buy the beer, knowing you hate the style, and rate it anyway? Do you adapt and rate the beer with a different method/mindset than usual?
7/6/2012 4:50:37 AM

BelgBeerGeek 1297:34
Originally posted by GT2

Not really true , i think youíd get a way better look on the top beers when everybody would just rate what they like instead of also rating beers they donít like.

I dunno if i explain myself in the right way.
But if letís say if more people who have access to a certain beer and itís a style they donít like youíll automaticcaly get a negative beer with low ratings , while it may be possible that that certain beer can actually be very good in the style itís been made ...

and if you only rate the syles you like youíll get a better perspective in whatís really really good , whatís mediocore or whatís bad , cause itís not that you like a style that you like every beer in that style ....

Itís like going to a Chinese Restaurant when u actually hate Chinese food thereís no point on doing that ... same goes for beer ....

I was at a festival once were De Dolle Brouwers had a new beer , it was a blond sour ale of 5% abv , kinda lemony and green apples with a tarty taste.
I asked a couple of people i knew what they tought about it and some of them said this is not a good beer !! i even had to pour it away !
So i asked like "gosh, was it so bad that you had to pour it away ? What was wrong with it ? "

so the guy answered " i donít know , but i just donít like sour beers" .... so yeah whatís the point of drinking it when u donít like sour ales.
And you donít have to do it for that one time it can happen that you do have a good beer of a style you donít like cause that chance will be less than you disliking most of the beers in the style you hate ...

So itís really not that good if you go drinking 100 beers in the style you hate and only liking 1 out of them ...

Kinda understand what i mean ?
7/6/2012 4:53:02 AM

premium
fiulijn 14350:517
Wheat beers, fruit beers and Spice/Herb/Vegetables are usually unexciting.
I tend not to buy them.

But if they come up at a tasting, or they are available in a sampler at the brewpub, I try them: one among them many can be good.
7/6/2012 4:55:02 AM

premium
b3shine 5211:262
My guess is thereís a lot of individual variation with this. I personally donít buy beer that I donít think Iíll enjoy, but I will try it if itís at a tasting, and Iíll rate it too. But for tick chasers, my guess is being good beer or a favorite style doesnít always have to be a prerequisite.
7/6/2012 5:05:13 AM

premium
MagicDave6 1:1
Well I think this also brings up a factor of why do you rate? When I was rating heavily id rate anything and the score I gave was purely for my records, for example I generally dont like imperial stouts and thats reflected in my 0.7 score on Dark Lord but beer geek weasel was a standout and got a high 4 from me. If i was to just give up on imperial stouts id have never found weasel, therefore its easily justified.
7/6/2012 5:10:40 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers