Success in Porter

Reads 320 • Replies 2 • Started Monday, March 24, 2014 5:02:15 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 17:02 Mon 3/24/2014

See original thread here:

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/success-in-series-idea_253193.htm

Success in Porter:

1. Diverse grain bill, including at least one variety of adjunct
2. Low to moderate attenuation
3. One interesting "x factor" ingredient

AAvgerinos
11:16 Tue 3/25/2014

As one who enjoys reading the historical background on various types of beer, I have a hard time pigeon-holing Porter into just 3 bullet points. Porter (the beer “family”) has varied possibly more than any other beer style in the last 300 years. (with the exception of maybe Burton Ale)

That said, to suit my own tastes specifically I think these are the three most important factors for making a great Porter:

1) Brown malt. It provides a nice mid-note between the pale and dark roasted malts.

2) British sourced black malt. It tastes considerably less ashy and acrid compared to the American made stuff. I’ve had success with Hugh Baird malt.

3) Moderate bitterness to counteract the moderate residual gravity. There are a lot of mid gravity commercial porters that I find to be too sweet.

Adrian

HornyDevil
17:35 Tue 3/25/2014

1) Complex grainbill with a British base malt and lots of highly kilned malts, but no roasted barley
2) English Ale yeast
3) Small bittering charge ONLY

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer