Success in Saisons

Reads 4155 • Replies 51 • Started Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:07:09 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 19:19 Wed 2/12/2014

Originally posted by VsXsV
Originally posted by bitbucket
Bière de Garde ?

A true French Bière de Garde has a few similarities to Saison, but I think that the differences still are major. A BdG should be malty with a solid alcoholic base and little to no hop aroma. The spicy notes from the yeast in a saison shouldn’t be there at all.

So, BdG is malty and low hopped while a Saison is much more about fresh hoppiness, spicyness, yeast and tartness. I have some trouble seeing why people tend to set an equals sign between them. Even if BdG is a farmhouse beer, the yeast profile is totally different.

True as in BJCP true? True as in Brasserie DuPont true? Then yes, I agree.

Historically, both of these styles were all over the board, so saying that either one of them is exactly this or exactly that ignores history. So in that context I respectfully disagree.

These beers were brewed by people to solve a practical problem, not to fit a specific malt/hop/yeast profile.

DA
places 1 º 19:41 Wed 2/12/2014

I don’t mind brett in my saisons, and actually have some of it in all mine due to my house yeast mishmash, but like the spices should be kept more subtle.

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 19:47 Mon 3/3/2014

I think this one is sufficiently closed down. Here’s the consensus on the top 3 factors for success in saison:

1. Simple grain bill with some wheat or oats
2. Low IBU/high quality hops
3. 80-85 degree fermentation temp

Thanks for all the solid responses on this one!

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 20:22 Mon 3/3/2014

Originally posted by pellegjr
I think this one is sufficiently closed down. Here’s the consensus on the top 3 factors for success in saison:

I’d love to hear more about fermenting hot. I tried it once with the Dupont strain (the White Labs one available to homebrewers and it tasted like nothing but green apple.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 21:03 Mon 3/3/2014

Originally posted by t0rin0

I’d love to hear more about fermenting hot. I tried it once with the Dupont strain (the White Labs one available to homebrewers and it tasted like nothing but green apple.

If used the Wyeast Belgian Saison (3724) liquid yeast and Belle Saison dry yeast at 80-ish temps, both with good results. I’m not so keen on the Dupont strain, but maybe that’s because I tried it years ago, not necessarily knowing what I was trying to accomplish?

CLevar
places 23 º 21:58 Mon 3/3/2014

If used the Wyeast Belgian Saison (3724) liquid yeast and Belle Saison dry yeast at 80-ish temps, both with good results. I’m not so keen on the Dupont strain, but maybe that’s because I tried it years ago, not necessarily knowing what I was trying to accomplish?

Bit confused by your response here.

According to this yeast strain guide put together by Kris England, the Wyeast Belgian saison and WLP belgian saison are both from Dupont. I know that strains can vary a lot, but I was not aware of that distinction for this one.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 19:06 Tue 3/4/2014

Originally posted by CLevar

Bit confused by your response here.

According to this yeast strain guide put together by Kris England, the Wyeast Belgian saison and WLP belgian saison are both from Dupont. I know that strains can vary a lot, but I was not aware of that distinction for this one.

No, I’m the one who is a bit confused. I was thinking 3711 was DuPont.
And I don’t like 3711 so well as I like 3724 or Belle Saison. Sorry.

HornyDevil
04:12 Wed 3/5/2014

And I don’t like 3711 so well as 3724 or Belle Saison. Sorry.

You are definitely confused.

3711 = Thiriez
3724 = Dupont

Low mash temp
wheat
high fermentation temp with 3724 and not so high with 3711.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 12:59 Wed 3/5/2014

Originally posted by HornyDevil
And I don’t like 3711 so well as 3724 or Belle Saison. Sorry.

You are definitely confused.

3711 = Thiriez
3724 = Dupont

Thanks for that affirmation.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer