Success in Sours

Reads 1414 • Replies 21 • Started Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:08:30 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

blipp
beers 14840 º places 219 º 05:19 Wed 2/26/2014

1) Experience
2) Luck

levifunk
beers 12 º 05:59 Wed 2/26/2014

Yeast/Bugs

Most all of your flavor in sours are coming from your yeast/bacteria. Don’t skimp on sourcing these and spend some time learning about them.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 06:00 Wed 2/26/2014

’Sours’ is pretty broad, but here are some things I do sometimes:

1. A good way to quick-sour without the excessively-long sparging and stinking grain of a sour mash is this: mash as usual, sparge as usual, empty mash tun, then return wort to mash tun with a handful of grain. Leave for a day or two to sour. The mash tun’s insulation keeps the wort hot enough to encourage lacto fermentation. After this you boil to fix the sourness and ferment.

2. If you want to add bugs, mash high. You want lots of bug food left around after your neutral strain has finished fermenting. Bugs from commercial sour beers are better than bugs from Wyeast/White labs, by and large. So if you want bugs, make sure at least some of then come from bottle dregs.

3. If you don’t need lacto fermentation characteristics, acidulated malt is a nice, easy, quick way to make a sour beer. I recently made a very heavily dry-hopped pale ale with 10% acidulated malt instead of bittering hops. It has exactly the clean sourness I want to compliment the fruitiness of the hops and it took no longer than, and is no more risky than, a normal, unsour beer.

HornyDevil
06:00 Wed 2/26/2014

Let me revise my list:

1) Wishes
2) Dreams
3) Fairydust

DA
places 1 º 06:40 Wed 2/26/2014

4) Spiders

Cliff
beers 355 º places 72 º 08:22 Wed 2/26/2014

1) Dregs
2) Patience
3) Luck

rudolf
beers 2359 º places 104 º 09:15 Wed 2/26/2014

Originally posted by levifunk
Yeast/Bugs

Most all of your flavor in sours are coming from your yeast/bacteria. Don’t skimp on sourcing these and spend some time learning about them.

This.

I’ve had limited success with the wYeast lambic blend. The best beer I’ve made with the wYeast lambic blend was augmented with dregs from all commercial lambic producers.

The best sours/lambics I’ve made have all used bugs/blends from East Coast Yeast - either the bugfarm blends or Oude Bruin. They’re a pain to get but totally worth the effort.

-rudy

robrules
places 1 º 09:50 Wed 2/26/2014

1) Let someone else make them

2) Drink at fests after your palate is shot from drinking good beer

3) Ignore them otherwise

YMMV. :-)

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 18:30 Wed 2/26/2014

There are lots of way to get to a good sour, but these are my go-to’s:
1. Aged hops or low IBU by other means
2. Sour mash or give the lacto a good head start, or lots of time
3. Something for the sourness to play against. Either an interesting grain bill (Flanders Red) or an interesting fruit (Kriek)

And yes, find a way to leave something for the bugs to eat. Mash hot, add them early or whatever. Remember that Lactobacillus is anaerobic and not a huge fan of alcohol.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 23:22 Wed 2/26/2014

1. Turbid mashes are rad
2. Aged hops are rad, but a very small amount of fresh ones is too.
3. Blending.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer