Summer Sadness

Reads 4174 • Replies 59 • Started Friday, April 24, 2015 2:37:24 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Fukito
beers 1064 º places 37 º 07:18 Sat 4/25/2015

Loved Noble Pils. Bitburguer is a solid alternative, and remember Jever doing the job well. Used to love Prima, but started to get a weird salty flavor out of it... have no idea what that could be...

dchmela
beers 3095 º places 108 º 07:25 Sat 4/25/2015

Spend most of my summer drinking DAB in the 500ml cans or cans of Sixpoint The Crisp.

Ragnampiza
beers 751 º places 20 º 08:38 Sat 4/25/2015

Currently drinking American Darling by Pretty Things. Not bad at all and I imagine it will taste even better before a trans-oceanic trip!

cheap
beers 8841 º places 328 º 11:12 Sat 4/25/2015

Cheap pale lagerhead here, & yes, that cheap lager is a great hot summer day beer, quite sessionable. I really miss Fortmann and Company Brewery 1844 lager.

malvrich
beers 930 º places 5 º 12:28 Sat 4/25/2015

Originally posted by dchmela
Spend most of my summer drinking DAB in the 500ml cans or cans of Sixpoint The Crisp.

Where on earth can you find DAB?
I remember buying mini-kegs of that in the ’90s.
(sniff)
Misty water-colored memories...

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 12:50 Sat 4/25/2015

I was at a kebab shop in DC just last night that had DAB.

dchmela
beers 3095 º places 108 º 13:54 Sat 4/25/2015

Originally posted by malvrich

(sniff)

Our Total Wine here in Orlando has 6 packs of the DAB cans. You have to be quick, those things fly off the shelf

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 15:15 Sat 4/25/2015

I don;t doubt that it beats that stuff and to that point I’d just like to see it in its own 6 pack.
Regardless though, it’s obviously mandatory that I try it and quit bitching about buying the mix pack.

This year’s summer mix pack isn’t so bad, you get 3 bottles each of:

Downtime Pilsner
Rebel Session IPA
Boston Lager
Summer Ale

The first two are a bit watery, but not bad styles and have an okay taste (Just not enough of it). I’ve always thought Boston Lager was okay- I get cravings for it sometimes. And I can take the one token wheat beer with some lemon and some grains of paradise and the neat summery label. It just got to be too much in years past when the summer mix pack was like a shandy, several sweet tasting beers with fruit, and two Boston Lagers- it just was not to my taste.

If they could just beef up the downtown pilsner with less water to other ingredients and swap in the regular red label rebel ipa for the session one, it’d actually be a pretty awesome mix pack this year. As it stands, it’s okay. Nothing to run to the store to buy, but you don’t get it and think "Ah crap, did I really pay for this? Are these even beers?". It’s all reasonably traditional styles.

(sniff)
Bought 500 ml cans of the export in Louisville KY recently.

malvrich
beers 930 º places 5 º 21:51 Sat 4/25/2015

Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
This year’s summer mix pack isn’t so bad, you get 3 bottles each of:

Downtime Pilsner
Rebel Session IPA
Boston Lager
Summer Ale

Sounds pretty good except for the Summer Ale. I can not stand wheat beers with the ironic exceptopn of SA’s own Cherry Wheat. That beer is roundly ridiculed on these interwebs so do your worst
Admittedly though, I haven’t tried any Gwenstephani wheats which are class leaders or so I understand.