RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Site News | Beer Talk | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Surgical Beer Reviews

read 1546 times • 42 replies • posted 7/3/2013 1:28:30 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

premium
drowland 5981:172
Originally posted by drowland
My personal favorite part is that Iíve drank and rated with a few different people who openly disapprove of people with short ratings... then when I hang out with them they write down a few words and short descriptors, sometimes amongst 100 beers a fest, 2-4 ounces each, and yet somehow those ratings spawn into 10,000 word essays describing every nuance, including the start, middle, sub-middle, ending, mouthfeel, carbonation, head, sub-start, middle head, remaining head, lacing, colors compared to words none of us know, and so much more...

To me, 2 sentences of an on the spot rating is worth way more than someone writing down 10 words at a fest and fabricating it into an essay.

This is something Iíve thought for a long time and always hold back from saying because I know it will piss people off.
7/3/2013 8:49:14 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
keanex 1403:52
Thanks pinkie ;)

My ratings tend to vary depending on the setting and the beer. If Iím at a bar then my reviews are very short. If Iím at home I try to be descriptive, but many beers are uninspiring. When I drink a beer that is excellent then Iíll be more wordy, poetic in a way. My average review follows a sort of formula though as I feel it allows anyone who does read my reviews to have a consistent feel to them.

I have a beer review blog where I follow a different method. beerpinion.blogspot.com if anyone cares to check it out.
7/3/2013 8:55:09 PM

premium
Also, I donít like looking at ratings before rating. I want to know what I thought, not others, top raters or not.

Does anyone really buy beer based on other peopleís opinions?

I also rate for myself, not others. I know nobody gives a shit what I have to say.
7/3/2013 9:05:01 PM

premium
DrSilverworm 6035:87
Also, I donít like looking at ratings before rating. I want to know what I thought, not others, top raters or not.

Does anyone really buy beer based on other peopleís opinions?

I also rate for myself, not others. I know nobody gives a shit what I have to say.

Same. The primary reason I rate is because I want to try every beer ever, and I want as an accurate of a record as possible of each one that I try. Itís for that reason I tend to over-describe, whenever I have the chance to. I want to be able to recall the experience exactly from my notes alone, even if I have no prior recollection of tasting the beer

Also, if anyone is studying the profile page of a beer before they attempt to rate, they are cheating themselves... I strongly believe the only way to rate is to rate blind, thatís what the "rate" button in the search results is for
7/3/2013 11:07:53 PM

pinkie 457:10
My personal favorite part is that Iíve drank and rated with a few different people who openly disapprove of people with short ratings... then when I hang out with them they write down a few words and short descriptors, sometimes amongst 100 beers a fest, 2-4 ounces each, and yet somehow those ratings spawn into 10,000 word essays describing every nuance, including the start, middle, sub-middle, ending, mouthfeel, carbonation, head, sub-start, middle head, remaining head, lacing, colors compared to words none of us know, and so much more...

To me, 2 sentences of an on the spot rating is worth way more than someone writing down 10 words at a fest and fabricating it into an essay.

It is hard to do it off the cuff. I actually practice it. I taste one beer a day and itís a challenge to keep the time I am speaking under 3 minutes and in two or three sips come up with a good expression the 5 categories. Itís much easier to do it from notes and after I have finished the beer.

Itís also much easier drunk because then the nerves donít get you so much. =) I am also going to pair the beer with food so I want to observe as much as I can and be able to talk about my beer as well as my dish. Preparation and practice are the biggest part of anything.

The pitfalls of public speaking are repeating yourself. I say the word "literally" at least 4 or 5 times. I mispronounce the name of the brewer and I fumble over the phrase "mineral qualities" and misspeak. I started these as letters to my son who is far away so we could taste beer together. Itís also hard not o get nervous and speak too fast or too loud.

http://youtu.be/5ANtnJrv8Lk
7/4/2013 3:39:12 AM

premium
italarican 1478:74
Originally posted by GT2
For the surgical part, at lot beers are definitely not worth elaborating about. But for beers in the 3.9+ range I would hope in my own ratings that I "rave" about it rather than the occasional cringe worthy rating of:

caramel, malt, hops. 4.1

I definitely agree. Anything above a 3.9 or below a 1.5 is probably going to get a more comprehensive rating for me. The ends of the curve are memorable.
7/4/2013 3:54:00 AM

hopbomber 107:32
Originally posted by drowlandDoes anyone really buy beer based on other peopleís opinions?

Yes I do. If I come across a beer or brewery Iím not familiar with ill search for it on this site if it is above 90/100 ill buy it. Funds are tight and Iím not wasting money on shit beer nor do I wish to try every beer ever made as many are quite simply dreadful.
7/4/2013 4:16:26 AM

premium
italarican 1478:74
Originally posted by hopbomber
Originally posted by drowlandDoes anyone really buy beer based on other peopleís opinions?

Yes I do. If I come across a beer or brewery Iím not familiar with ill search for it on this site if it is above 90/100 ill buy it. Funds are tight and Iím not wasting money on shit beer nor do I wish to try every beer ever made as many are quite simply dreadful.

I definitely did more so at the start of my beer geekery. I was overwhelmed with all of these unfamiliar beers and breweries at the bottle shop, so Iíd take out my phone, see what people I respected thought of the beer, and look at descriptors and ratings to see if a beer sounded like something Iíd like to try.

I do this less now. Iím most likely to do it to see ratings of an unfamiliar beer thatís $15+ that looks intriguing.
7/4/2013 4:46:49 AM

hopbomber 107:32
Originally posted by italarican
Originally posted by hopbomber

I definitely did more so at the start of my beer geekery. I was overwhelmed with all of these unfamiliar beers and breweries at the bottle shop, so Iíd take out my phone, see what people I respected thought of the beer, and look at descriptors and ratings to see if a beer sounded like something Iíd like to try.

I do this less now. Iím most likely to do it to see ratings of an unfamiliar beer thatís $15+ that looks intriguing.

Oh Iím not at the beginning of it bud, just new to this site I moved to Belgium aged 19 to be nearer to beer. Donít assume that beer geeks try a craft beer then join this site.
7/4/2013 4:56:22 AM

premium
You silly geese need to think for yourselves and try things! Take a risk!
7/4/2013 4:58:26 AM

Home > Forums > Site News

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers