RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Site News | Beer Talk | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Surgical Beer Reviews

read 1574 times • 42 replies • posted 7/3/2013 1:28:30 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

premium
drowland 6024:172
Originally posted by DrSilverworm
Originally posted by drowland
Also, I donít like looking at ratings before rating. I want to know what I thought, not others, top raters or not.

Does anyone really buy beer based on other peopleís opinions?

I also rate for myself, not others. I know nobody gives a shit what I have to say.

The primary reason I rate is because I want to try every beer ever

Well put.

ISO: Every bottle offered (all bottles offered)
7/4/2013 4:59:00 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
italarican 1481:74
Originally posted by hopbomber
Originally posted by italarican
Originally posted by drowlandDoes anyone really buy beer based on other peopleís opinions?

Yes I do. If I come across a beer or brewery Iím not familiar with ill search for it on this site if it is above 90/100 ill buy it. Funds are tight and Iím not wasting money on shit beer nor do I wish to try every beer ever made as many are quite simply dreadful.

I definitely did more so at the start of my beer geekery. I was overwhelmed with all of these unfamiliar beers and breweries at the bottle shop, so Iíd take out my phone, see what people I respected thought of the beer, and look at descriptors and ratings to see if a beer sounded like something Iíd like to try.

I do this less now. Iím most likely to do it to see ratings of an unfamiliar beer thatís $15+ that looks intriguing.

Oh Iím not at the beginning of it bud, just new to this site I moved to Belgium aged 19 to be nearer to beer. Donít assume that beer geeks try a craft beer then join this site.

Ha, I didnít intend to suggest that. I was just sloppy and quoted the most recent thing related to what I was going to post.
7/4/2013 5:01:29 AM

premium
Glouglouburp 6023:423
As for me I rate beers to impress the chicks. Not sure "impress" is the right word but I do get a reaction with I tell a girl how many beer ratings I have.
7/4/2013 5:03:27 AM

premium
jercraigs 7812:314
I find the length of my ratings varies wildly based on a number of factors, the quality/complexity of the beer, my mood, how much time I have vs. # of ratings I have to enter (My festival ratings are frequently shorter), how social I am being while rating, etc.

I just looked and my top ten ratings are all fairly verbose, some even have a couple or re-rates, for whatever thatís worth.
7/4/2013 5:48:56 AM

premium
sthlm 1231:136
Originally posted by drowland
You silly geese need to think for yourselves and try things! Take a risk!

Since I can generally only afford one six pack a week, Iím usually not going to just buy some random mystery beer on a whim without having any idea whether Iíll like it. This is particularly an issue since the best beer store around here refuses to break up six packs with the vast majority of domestic beer. I donít have internet on my phone, so I actually canít check ratebeer while Iím buying. Not that I need to for most beers, because I can usually figure out roughly what Iím getting based on the style and brewery. However, for expensive bottles, new breweries, and beer that I really canít get a read on, Iíll use my phone to take a picture of the bottle and Iíll look it up at home to see what certain raters Iíve come to trust have to say about the beer.

The other time scores can come in handy are if a new beer is getting really high reviews. I almost never seek out rare beers anymore, but if it might be coming to my area, Iíll see what those raters Iíve come to trust have to say about it. Those scores will definitely factor into my decision regarding whether or not to even inquire about the beer at my local store.
7/4/2013 7:29:48 AM

premium
chriso 7347:371
Originally posted by sthlm
Experiments have shown that people canít tell plonk from grand cru. Now one US winemaker claims that even experts canít judge wine accurately. Whatís the science behind the taste?"

At least some of that comes down to the fact that wine quality (however you judge that) often bears little relation to price. Hype, collectability, scarcity, cost price etc etc all come into play in determining the price to the consumer. In my experience highly regarded and sought after wines often provide extremely poor value for money.
7/4/2013 7:47:53 AM

humlelala 984:53
Originally posted by pellegjr
Iíve recently wondered if it makes sense to distill and aggregate some of the key words/phrases contained within reviews and give transparency of the top 3 to the community. For example, if the most common three descriptors of say, Pliny the Elder, were "grapefruit", "resin", and "grass", well that information would be very helpful to me in determining if it was a beer I wanted to try.

I believe this function is already available if you click on "shelf tags" in the entry for a given beer.

For example, this is the shelf tags page for Pliny the Elder:

http://www.ratebeer.com/shelftag.asp?beerid=8936&t=1&c=0&NQ=1
7/4/2013 11:30:39 AM

premium
pellegjr 395:16
Originally posted by humlelala
Originally posted by pellegjr
Iíve recently wondered if it makes sense to distill and aggregate some of the key words/phrases contained within reviews and give transparency of the top 3 to the community. For example, if the most common three descriptors of say, Pliny the Elder, were "grapefruit", "resin", and "grass", well that information would be very helpful to me in determining if it was a beer I wanted to try.

I believe this function is already available if you click on "shelf tags" in the entry for a given beer.

For example, this is the shelf tags page for Pliny the Elder:

http://www.ratebeer.com/shelftag.asp?beerid=8936&t=1&c=0&NQ=1

Awesome, thanks!
7/4/2013 12:26:58 PM

premium
McTapps 4053:136
Originally posted by italarican
Originally posted by drowlandDoes anyone really buy beer based on other peopleís opinions?

Yes I do. If I come across a beer or brewery Iím not familiar with ill search for it on this site if it is above 90/100 ill buy it. Funds are tight and Iím not wasting money on shit beer nor do I wish to try every beer ever made as many are quite simply dreadful.

I definitely did more so at the start of my beer geekery. I was overwhelmed with all of these unfamiliar beers and breweries at the bottle shop, so Iíd take out my phone, see what people I respected thought of the beer, and look at descriptors and ratings to see if a beer sounded like something Iíd like to try.

I do this less now. Iím most likely to do it to see ratings of an unfamiliar beer thatís $15+ that looks intriguing.

Oh Iím not at the beginning of it bud, just new to this site I moved to Belgium aged 19 to be nearer to beer. Donít assume that beer geeks try a craft beer then join this site.

Sorry, bro. Just been for our summer vacation to Rochefort and I must admit, that it is hard to get a Belgian beer with a score lower than 90/100. It is so damn easy to get a beer better than it. But otherwise, in other countries, a beer like that (just thinking of Germany or GB), is hard to find in "normal" bottle shops.

Iím afraid, but I have to quote a buddy of mine : " Belgian beers are overrated."
7/4/2013 2:10:44 PM

premium
fiulijn 14510:525
Originally posted by joet
read robert parker. I also like stuff like this

http://blog.wblakegray.com/2011/03/robert-parkers-tasting-notes.html

where his tasting notes are dissected and made surgical.

really, you can say a lot with a little. and this means also tasting an ounce. The leading authority in wine did this, sometimes 400 times at a single sitting.

thereís nothing wrong with a much more modest approach.

Just have the time to read this now...
Actually, without really reading the first part of the blog, at first impression I was more attracted by the second wine.

The blogger got it wrong because he misinterpreted descriptors that in his book must be negative (embers; but how many times people here used the descriptor manure, and that is not necessarily intended to be bad) and similarities to other good wines (you can find some Orval character in the aroma of a beer, and yet other elements of it make it much worse than real Orval).

He also could not feel that the second analysis has more passion.

In other words, donít criticize othersí reviews if you donít have the reading skills
7/6/2013 3:55:05 PM

Home > Forums > Site News

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers